Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Guns made on 3-D printers more of a reality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Downloading a gun's design plans to your computer, building it on a three-dimensional printer and firing it minutes later. No background checks, no questions asked.
Sound far-fetched? It's not. And that is disquieting for U.S. gun control advocates.
At least one group, called Defence Distributed, is claiming to have created downloadable weapon parts that can be built using the increasingly popular new generation of printer that uses plastics and other materials to create 3-D objects with moving parts.
University of Texas law student Cody Wilson, the 24-year-old "Wiki Weapons" project leader, says the group last month test fired a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle — one of the weapon types used in last week'sConnecticut school massacre — which was built with some key parts created on a 3-D printer. The gun was fired six times before it broke.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...inter-guns.html

Edited by jugoso, 22 December 2012 - 04:45 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,410 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

It will take many years before a printed gun is less a menace to the potential victim than to its owner. There is no reason to worry about any gun, especially not an assault rifle, that bust after 6 shots in the greater scheme of things. But just in case they get better there should be a requirement to register any gun, even those printed making it a felony to fail to do so with a long term in Leavenworth.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,471 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Meh.  A Printable Supermodel would be better.  Even if she broke after six 'shots' I'd still be delighted.

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado, 22 December 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Putting a Deus Ex reference in all their videos doesn't make the speech synthesis crap any more tolerable.

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,597 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 22 December 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

It will take many years before a printed gun is less a menace to the potential victim than to its owner. There is no reason to worry about any gun, especially not an assault rifle, that bust after 6 shots in the greater scheme of things. But just in case they get better there should be a requirement to register any gun, even those printed making it a felony to fail to do so with a long term in Leavenworth.

Of course they will! And of course criminals won´t!

G.Clinton

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,410 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

View Postjugoso, on 22 December 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

Of course they will! And of course criminals won´t!

Criminals would be much more careful if the possession of an unregistered weapon carried mandatory 5-10 years in Leavenworth without parole. So would everybody else.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,597 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 22 December 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Criminals would be much more careful if the possession of an unregistered weapon carried mandatory 5-10 years in Leavenworth without parole. So would everybody else.

I´m sure they would be more careful but mandatory sentencing isn´t  the answer.

Mandatory minimum penalties have not improved public safety but have exacerbated existing racial disparities within the criminal justice system.

http://sentencingpro...s_Viewpoint.pdf

G.Clinton

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,410 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

View Postjugoso, on 22 December 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

I´m sure they would be more careful but mandatory sentencing isn´t  the answer.

Mandatory minimum penalties have not improved public safety but have exacerbated existing racial disparities within the criminal justice system.

http://sentencingpro...s_Viewpoint.pdf

Mandatory sentencing has nothing to do with race as anybody caught committing the crime (in this case carrying an unregistered gun) is independent from race. If certain races do it more than others it is their problem.

Edited by questionmark, 22 December 2012 - 09:20 PM.

about me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users