Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Know the language of flowers? Help!

rashore

I know this might be a long shot... but UM often surprises me.

I'm looking for some direction in learning about the language of flowers, and I would assume plants to some extent. By this I mean at one time, flowers had meanings that are often forgotten about today. Like red roses mean love, but yellow means friendship, that sort of thing. Also helpful would be superstition and folklore like grow holly plants for protection or rosemary by the gate to ensure good guests.

More specifically to the point I want to be able to mark paths on the back 40 with various flowers and plants to help tell where one is going on the trails out back. I thought it would be entertaining to use the language of flowers to do this with. Like flowers that mean beware, go back, not wanted, ect to mark off the area where it trails into bad spots or use something that means spring beauty or delight or whatever to denote a something up ahead that is like that.

So, anyone know anything about this old fashioned subject? If so, please chime in :)

And for folks that might want to start debates about if magic meanings of plants or flowers work or not and so on.. Please just don't. I'm not looking for if this stuff works or not or how right or wrong meanings might be- lord knows I've gotten enough red roses to know it's advertising and not true love. I just want to know more about the subject in general.

Thanks for anything folks can offer :)

• Like 5

One of the most "romantic" things to look at is in mythology (do not get me wrong, I am not going all romantic on you :unsure2: ) many of the names came from or appear in mythology. Here is an interesting link:

From new life to death, from purity to passion, flowers have had many meanings in myths and legends. Swelling from tender bud to full bloom, flowers are associated with youth, beauty, and pleasure. But as they wilt and die, flowers represent fragility and the swift passage from life into death. Specific flowers such as roses and lilies have assumed symbolic significance in mythology.

Read more: http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Fi-Go/Flowers-in-Mythology.html#ixzz43larHXjw

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

What you want is Victorian information... but let me add that you may have some problems if the plants selected aren't right for your gardening zone.

Here's one source for you: http://languageofflowers.com/

another; http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/features/vanessa_diffenbaugh/flower-dictionary/ - available in PDF here: http://www.aboutflowers.com/flower-a-plant-information-and-photos/meanings-of-flowers/528-victorias-flower-dictionary-the-language-of-flowers-vanessa-diffenbaugh-.html

• Like 3

It's part of chivalry and decades ago I used to own a book about it. The language of flowers was used to communicate intent at a time when many people were unable to read.

• Like 3

Oh wow!

I love all this stuff. Where to start?

Edging pathways? Depends...

Here's a start list for edging paths...

Lavender if you wish to relax. and will aid the inducement of drowsy sleepy-ness.

Rosemary if you wish a degree of clarity, healing or to aid in study or recalling things.

Lemon balm to sooth and refresh.

Mint to enliven...But mint is best in pots, as it can be invasive?

Cat mint, if its for the feline friends.

Lambs ear, if you wish it to shimmer in Moon light.

Holly obviously is a protective barrier, what with all the sharpness, same too with black thorn but this also is a meditation enhancer...

Can you give me a bit more detail on how much info you want me to spout?

Because i can really go on about all this stuff..... From a Norse, Greek, Druid, Wiccan, Celtic, Feng shui and a whole host of other sources too.

• Like 3

Thank you for all the information so far folks.. Yes, all of it is useful.

I'm not doing walkway edging really.. more like what should appear like random flowers and plants growing in the meadows, wetlands, and forest around my home. So for example, where I might have three trails that split off in a meadow, plant three different kinds of plants along those trails to ensure folks don't get lost back there. Even if the flowers might not be naturally there, I want them to look natural, not like little gardens out in the wilds if that makes sense.

Now, up closer to the more farmed areas of my property.. it's right nice to learn more about what all I have in the ground too. Like I have a small hill I planted in with a dozen kinds of mints for weed and erosion control. So it's kind of cool to know mint has a meaning. Though now I'm wondering if different mints are different in the same manner as roses are different as far as meanings are concerned.

• Like 2

Something from a Culturally different perspective ~

~

Growing Chi — Feng Shui Flowers and Their Meanings

October 21, 2015

by Kathryn Weber

The Application of Feng Shui Flowers For Human Prosperity

• Like 1