Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could Dark Matter lifeforms exist?

cultanorak

I realize that Dark Matter hasn't been proven to actually exist yet but what I'd like to know is if it does exist could Dark Matter life forms or beings exist?

What makes me think this is that everything in the observable universe is made up of Matter but given that there is a lot more Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the universe than normal Matter but we can't see it could it be possible that Dark Matter and Dark Energy life forms have evolved?

Taking that thought to an even more fantastical and unscientific level could Dark Matter life forms which seldom interact with the normal Matter in the universe account for sightings of UFO's, Ghosts and supernatural beings from folklore?

Edited by yearofthehater

So basically beings on another plane of existence Like the ancients from Stargate.

I don't mind, but dark matter is just a theory as you said. I doubt anyone is legitimately thinking about Dark matter monsters. Sounds like a Sy Fy summer movie xD. I would love for them to discover some space whale. Would blow my mind...until they found a planet killer.

• Like 1

Dark matter does not respond to electric charge, so it seems hard to imaging any sort of biology without molecules.

• Like 1

Interesting thought

No, dark matter beings could not exist, at least not under current theory. Dark matter is its own anti-particle meaning anytime dark matter comes into contact with other dark matter it destroys itself.

The astronomer Fred Hoyle wrote a novel about our solar system coming into contact with an intelligent cloud of interstellar gas. Dark matter was, I think, unknown at that time, but who really knows? There may be life forms out there whose biological makeup may be beyond our present considerations of what biology and life can be.

No, dark matter beings could not exist, at least not under current theory. Dark matter is its own anti-particle meaning anytime dark matter comes into contact with other dark matter it destroys itself.

That's a shame.

I'm not scientifically minded but I thought we didn't even know for sure what Dark Matter was made of so how can we know for certain it couldn't have a form of sentience or that Dark Matter life forms couldn't have evolved?

I've heard it speculated that Dark Matter could be WIMPs (weak interacting massive particles I think) and I like the thought WIMP Dark Matter entities. I'd like to be one infact.

There may be life forms out there whose biological makeup may be beyond our present considerations of what biology and life can be.

Yeah I'm so fed up with the parochial notion that any intelligent sentient being out there has got to be a carbon based life form who have evolved in a similar way to humans. I hope there are life forms out there which are totally alien to our bio chemistry and carbon based life forms with their crude reproduction and evolution are inferior and limited compared to other more eloquent beings and should be treated as such.

• Like 1

The easiest way for someone to break the notion that carbon-based life is the way it has to be is to think up some other way it could be. Efforts to use silicon, the most obvious candidate, have failed, and it has to be materials common in the universe that have the right chemical properties. Figuring out alternatives just doesn't seem possible.

The easiest way for someone to break the notion that carbon-based life is the way it has to be is to think up some other way it could be. Efforts to use silicon, the most obvious candidate, have failed, and it has to be materials common in the universe that have the right chemical properties. Figuring out alternatives just doesn't seem possible.

Just because we can't figure out an alternative doesn't make it impossible in my mind I would say quite the opposite in fact.

Considering that most of the universe is made up of Dark Energy and we have little or no idea what this actually is I would say that the universe is far stranger than we imagine or can imagine as Arthur C Clarke said.

As far as strange looking aliens or entities, imagine a being from another dimension or planet seeing an elephant, or giraffe, or jellyfish, or rino, or anteater, or sloth, or snake for the first time. Yikes! They'd be like wow! thats some strange s*#t.

Our tiny planet is stuffed with thousands of strange, weird and beautiful creatures. As vast as the universe is, dark matter sentinals or little grey "men" or gaseous energy beings shouldn't seem improbable at all.

If life on this little rock can be so diverse, just imagine................................

• Like 1

Hmmm... curious concept to be sure.

Our tiny planet is stuffed with thousands of strange, weird and beautiful creatures. As vast as the universe is, dark matter sentinals or little grey "men" or gaseous energy beings shouldn't seem improbable at all.

I like the phrase Dark Matter Sentinels and gaseous energy beings a lot. I wish I was them.