Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Queen should think about retiring

Still Waters

The former Labour deputy Prime Minister said he wanted to pass on concerns from a friend that, at the age of 86, the Monarch was “overburdening” herself and was risking her health.

He added that the Queen herself seems unsure of her own health after her recent bout of illness which left her in hospital.

Lord Prescott, who is a member of the Privy Council which advises the Queen, said: “Even her doctors seem baffled by her illness, with the Queen reportedly telling Kamalesh Sharma, the Commonwealth Secretary General: ‘They’re not sure what’s the matter with me’.”

http://www.telegraph...t-suggests.html

Not against her will, she shouldn't. (Especially when her replacement might be a multi-faith numpty who talks to plants!)

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

personally think they should.all just disapeer and live there lives away from tbe public. unelected.sponges sorry about spellings hard to type.on new fone

• Like 4

Lord Prescott must have run out of acceptable topics to pen for his column.

His opinion, or that of his friend's, on this matter, would be better focused on considerations over their own retirements.

If you like your job, you don't want to retire, and who could not like being Queen of England?

• Like 1

If you like your job, you don't want to retire, and who could not like being Queen of England?

I'd make a great queen of england. ...wait

• Like 7

Queen Elizabeth II is not going to abdicate.

On 21st April 1947 the then Princess Elizabeth made a 21st-birthday speech in which she vowed to serve her country for her whole life.

It was quite a lengthy speech but towards the end of it she said this:

I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.

But I shall not have strength to carry out this resolution alone unless you join in it with me, as I now invite you to do: I know that your support will be unfailingly given. God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it.

Elizabeth II vowed to serve her country until the day she dies. She will not break that promise.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 2

There hasn't been a Queen of England since 1603.

• Like 1

I think she should retire and take the rest of the family with her.No need for a royal family,time for the UK to catch up with the modern world.Read somewhere last year that it took 65 mil of taxpayers dollars to keep this family up to their standards,about time they go out and get real jobs if they choose to live this way.....Pay for it out of their own pockets.

• Like 2

I think she should retire and take the rest of the family with her.No need for a royal family,time for the UK to catch up with the modern world.Read somewhere last year that it took 65 mil of taxpayers dollars to keep this family up to their standards,about time they go out and get real jobs if they choose to live this way.....Pay for it out of their own pockets.

Yeah, after all it's not as if technically she owns the country.

Modern world here,no one technically owns anything.Time for her to share the wealth,after all im told its the sophisticated thing to do ;)

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure why you UKers put up with the monarchy.

But, as an American, maybe it's a cultural thing.

• Like 1

Probably is since we don't believe in monarchy or bow down to a crown. [shrugs]

The Queen is fine, if we ever get Charles and he starts pushing homeopathy over conventional medicine and organic farming and talking to plants and whatever else, then I will be at the forefront of the revolution! *waves pitchfork heartily*

• Like 1

I don't care as long as one of them give me my Knighthood.. knight-smiley-face.gif

Although I like Harry, he is a lad is that one.

It costs just 65p, or thereabouts, per person per year for the monarchy. That's all.

Getting rid of the monarchy for a republic will not save you money. It'll be a lot more expensive. Obama's Air Force One jet alone costs more annually that the entire British monarchy does.

But the British monarchy is secure for a least another 100-150 years. The British people just don't want a republic. Although you can't blame them, because look what happened the last time Britain experimented with republicanism.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

Now why would I have any reason to visit London if the Royals no longer existed?Personally I think every country should have at least two monarchs, a king and a queen. Adds class. I'm tired of this classless society business.

The Queen is, by a considerable distance, the world's biggest landowner.

She owns about 6.6 BILLION acres of land. That's because, for all intents and purposes, she owns all of the land of the 16 countries of which she is Head of State, including the world's second-biggest country, Canada.

The world's next largest landowner is the Russian state, which owns just over 4.2 billion acres.

The value of the Queen's land holding is £17.6 TRILLION (US$33 trillion), which technically makes her the richest person on Earth.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

William is a little untested as yet. I think they should change the succession law and have Parliament select the next monarch from among the members of the royal family -- say from among a list of the fifty in line to the succession.

Queen Elizabeth II is not going to abdicate.

On 21st April 1947 the then Princess Elizabeth made a 21st-birthday speech in which she vowed to serve her country for her whole life.

It was quite a lengthy speech but towards the end of it she said this:

I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.

But I shall not have strength to carry out this resolution alone unless you join in it with me, as I now invite you to do: I know that your support will be unfailingly given. God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it.

Elizabeth II vowed to serve her country until the day she dies. She will not break that promise.

She vowed to serve her country her whole life, she did not vow to die on the throne.