Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What IS the Alaskan HAARP?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:33 AM

I have a B.A.Sc. in Engineering Physics, and should very shortly have an M.Sc. in Physics.

I do not specialize in atmospheric or plasma physics. However:

• The EM radiation that HAARP is capable of generating, based on the pictures of it's antennae arrays is not capable of being used to affect the Earth's crust or used as a coherent weapon.
  • The placement of HAARP is logical if you believe it is designed to study the Aurora. It is in the boondocks because it needs to be well clear of interfering signals from urban electronics. It is in Alaska because that is the only place in the US where the Aurora Borealis is.
  • I suppose it is remotely possible for HAARP to have military purpose; either detection of missiles, aircraft, or satellites, or perhaps interfering with missiles, aircraft, or satellites. However if that is the case why did they put it in Alaska, basically pointing at the Russians, after the threat of the USSR was over?
  • One of my best friends in the Physics department studies the Aurora/ionosphere with an incoherent scatter radar array. It resembles the pictures of the HAARP radar arrays, but it is much smaller and uses much less power.

I will ask some of the ionospheric people in the department about the research produced by HAARP tomorrow at lunch.

#32    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,117 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:58 AM

View Postsepulchrave, on 22 January 2010 - 02:33 AM, said:

I will ask some of the ionospheric people in the department about the research produced by HAARP tomorrow at lunch.

That would be very cool. I don't get into this stuff anymore but I'm always willing to read about it. Thx

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#33    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

I have a B.A.Sc. in Engineering Physics, and should very shortly have an M.Sc. in Physics.

• The EM radiation that HAARP is capable of generating, based on the pictures of it's antennae arrays is not capable of being used to affect the Earth's crust or used as a coherent weapon.
  • The placement of HAARP is logical if you believe it is designed to study the Aurora. It is in the boondocks because it needs to be well clear of interfering signals from urban electronics. It is in Alaska because that is the only place in the US where the Aurora Borealis is.
  • I suppose it is remotely possible for HAARP to have military purpose; either detection of missiles, aircraft, or satellites, or perhaps interfering with missiles, aircraft, or satellites. However if that is the case why did they put it in Alaska, basically pointing at the Russians, after the threat of the USSR was over?
  • One of my best friends in the Physics department studies the Aurora/ionosphere with an incoherent scatter radar array. It resembles the pictures of the HAARP radar arrays, but it is much smaller and uses much less power.

I can't wait to hear some professional opinions on this. I will say in response to your post however that while the HAARP program officially began in 1990, locals in Gakona and the surrounding area will tell you that construction for the site began in the mid 1980's at the height of the cold war and I can tell you from experience that the Russians continued encroachment into Alaskan airspace for years after the wall fell and the game of chicken never really stopped, just slowed down.

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#34    StarLord

StarLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

Sepulchrave,

That's positively Brilliant and could not be more spot on!

Thank You!

#35    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,748 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

Alright, I talked with some of the radar guys. They didn't have any direct experience with HAARP but they knew a few things about it. One of them uses incoherent radar to study the aurora, and has a radar array just outside of town that is qualitatively the same as HAARPs array (bunch of metal sticks poking out of the ground hooked up to a large modulated power supply) although obviously smaller and less powerful.

So here's the deal as I understand it:

• HAARP actively stimulates the ionosphere and measures the response. I guess it is this `active stimulation' which people interpret as mind/weather/earthquake control. I have no idea how ionospheric E&M radiation would do any of that (or rather, I'm pretty positive it wouldn't), and as a physicist I can assure you that measuring the impulse response of a system is very useful in trying to understand the dynamics of that system. So the cover story seems legit.
  • HAARP routinely publishes peer-reviewed scientific papers. I Google'd two of them: Inan, U.S. et al., Geophysical Research Letters, 31 24805 (2004), and Pedersen, T. R. et al., Geophysical Research Letters, 30(4) 1169 (2003). They seem to be conventional scientific publications. So even if HAARP is someone used for nefarious purposes, the military/whatever must keep a bunch of physicists and grad students around to do boring research to maintain the cover story.
  • HAARP isn't even the first facility to pump energy into the ionosphere. EISCAT also contains ionospheric heating apparatus (lower energy and shorter range than HAARP, but basically the same deal). So if HAARP is some sort of doomsday weapon the Norwegians also have one.

All this seems too much work just to cover up a secret weapons testing facility. Its not like the US doesn't have any secretive facilities (say, Area 51?) that everyone knows about.

Edited by sepulchrave, 23 January 2010 - 06:02 PM.

#36    StarLord

StarLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

That's some awesome searching  sepulchrave!!
Thank you very much for your time and effort in this.

So,  what are the nefarious aspects of HAARP being based on other then plain ignorance of science?

#37    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

I kid ,... Hey Vincent Price smoke a cigar !

• 2,395 posts

• " Barky Von Snauzer ! ,..Barky Von Snauzer !
    Barky Von ....For ..Me ..To ..PooP ..On ! "

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Look under the Russian Woodpecker. This is yet another type of climate control device they say is a research device but history channel had a program on war tatics and weapons that could be possible to be used by the military as willing natural disasters to use as war tatics and controling populations. what do you think ? Any one else seen this ?

Posted ImageZombiedog

#38    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

...or you know.. Haiti is on the carrabean faultline and it did what all fault lines do..   Move...

*facepalms*  Gods does everything natural that happens have to be thought of as some weapon?  Are we really that paranoid?

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#39    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,033 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

View PostSilverCougar, on 01 February 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

...or you know.. Haiti is on the carrabean faultline and it did what all fault lines do..   Move...

*facepalms*  Gods does everything natural that happens have to be thought of as some weapon?  Are we really that paranoid?

No, it isn't always seekrit weapons.  Sometimes it is magik or aliens.

:P

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#40    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 01 February 2010 - 08:04 PM, said:

No, it isn't always seekrit weapons.  Sometimes it is magik or aliens.

:P

Nibs

Damned them Wizarding Aliens!

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users