Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Map of all nuclear explosions from 1945-1998


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 6,636 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

The short article is about how nuclear explosions effect GPS signals but at the bottom is an animated map of all the nuclear explosions in the world from 1945-1998.  Very simple animation but somehow I was riveted for the whole 14+ minutes.  1945 is chilling to say the least.

http://www.extremete...nuclear-testing

Edited by Merc14, 07 December 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#2    Wickian

Wickian

    Doppelganger

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:11 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

  • Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Over 2000 detonations isn't very reassuring...


#3    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

    Odd Plant Grower

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Joined:19 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere east of San Francisco

  • You can't just choose to believe something.

    Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostMerc14, on 07 December 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

The short article is about how nuclear explosions effect GPS signals but at the bottom is an animated map of all the nuclear explosions in the world from 1945-1998.  Very simple animation but somehow I was riveted for the whole 14+ minutes.  1945 is chilling to say the least.

http://www.extremete...nuclear-testing

It was an eye opening video. The video was posted a while back though.

http://www.unexplain...opic=234506&hl=

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,731 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

In 1945 with the war just ending and the arms race with the Soviets just starting were precarious times.  They were doing what they felt they had to in order to insure the survival of our country.  I don't blame them for what they were doing then.  I don't think at that time they realized the full scope of what they were doing and how long it would last.

Have to wonder if people in those areas get cancer at higher rates than the rest of the country.


#5    pallidin

pallidin

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,656 posts
  • Joined:09 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere south of the North Pole

  • "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Jeeze, no wonder our Earth is tilted.  :passifier:


#6    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 6,252 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

Didn't watch the video (dial up).

Was 'Tsar Bomba' mentioned? 1961, a 50 megaton device. I saw a graph a few days ago and Hiroshima, 13 kilotons?, was about 1/2 an inch on your screen. 'Tsar Bomba' filled most of the rest of the graph, and the screen.


#7    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 6,636 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostHilander, on 07 December 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

In 1945 with the war just ending and the arms race with the Soviets just starting were precarious times.  They were doing what they felt they had to in order to insure the survival of our country.  I don't blame them for what they were doing then.  I don't think at that time they realized the full scope of what they were doing and how long it would last.

I agree.Amazing that it still effecting the ionosphere after two decades.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#8    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 6,636 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 08 December 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

Didn't watch the video (dial up).

Was 'Tsar Bomba' mentioned? 1961, a 50 megaton device. I saw a graph a few days ago and Hiroshima, 13 kilotons?, was about 1/2 an inch on your screen. 'Tsar Bomba' filled most of the rest of the graph, and the screen.

They didn't specify the Tsar bob but I am sure it was in there.  FOr a decade or so in there the video was strobing there was so many detonations.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#9    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Joined:26 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free America

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Over 3K worth of tests have been done since the first nuclear bomb that has dropped. This shows the world can withstand a nuclear war, but the radiation would be too widespread compared to isolated nuclear bombs. The types of nuclear bombs that are used is limited lasted effects, so after 50 or so years, it would be safe enough to live on the surface again without dying a sudden death. There would be more cancer compared to today though...

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#10    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 6,636 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 08 December 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Over 3K worth of tests have been done since the first nuclear bomb that has dropped. This shows the world can withstand a nuclear war, but the radiation would be too widespread compared to isolated nuclear bombs. The types of nuclear bombs that are used is limited lasted effects, so after 50 or so years, it would be safe enough to live on the surface again without dying a sudden death. There would be more cancer compared to today though...

Remember the vast majority were deep underground.  That many nuke used strategically over cities in the air would have poisoned the world

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users