Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"Time traveler" caught in museum photo ?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:44 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: virtualmuseum.ca</strong>
Image credit: virtualmuseum.ca
An intriguing photograph from the 1940s showing a man in modern clothing has been doing the rounds on the web. The photograph shows a crowd of people at the reopening of the South Fork Bridge in British Columbia, one of the people there however is wearing shades, a modern looking top and has a portable camera. But is it really a mystery ?

"It’s the short description for the photograph shown at the virtual Bralorne Pioneer Museum, from British Columbia, Canada. The image can be seen specifically on this page (scroll down to the middle), among other items of the online exhibit. Did you notice anything out of place? Or perhaps, out of time?"

Posted Image View: Full Article | Posted Image Source: forgetomori

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Thats just an original photograph that happens to have a taller than average male standing within it, while wearing unusual clothing for that time period, the glasses are of the time if not earlier, the jumper is probably a local high school type thing, hair style just up and out style, nothing to see here just one young man dressing the way he wants, unusual then but in todays terms he looks boringly normal ;)

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#3    Child of the light

Child of the light

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

This could be 2 things. Either the photo has been edited to place a man of modern times into a 1940's picture and call him a "time traveler" or it might have been a local party or something with a 1940's theme here in the modern time and the guy in the picture didn't bother to dress up.

#4    Slorri

Slorri

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

You know that it's "internet people" that have reached this obvious conclusion.
Internet people! Can we trust them?

#5    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

View PostDark Morphling, on 18 April 2010 - 11:17 AM, said:

This could be 2 things. Either the photo has been edited to place a man of modern times into a 1940's picture and call him a "time traveler" or it might have been a local party or something with a 1940's theme here in the modern time and the guy in the picture didn't bother to dress up.
Or as the article states

The outfit could also be found 70 years ago. Being used as we are to our contemporary fashion, we look at the man and assume he’s wearing a stamped T-shirt, something that would be indeed out of place (or time). But if you look carefully, you can see that he’s actually wearing (or could as well be wearing) a sweatshirt. And sweatshirts with bordered emblems were not uncommon in the 1940s – in fact you can find those in other photos from the same exhibit.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#6    Agent Darkbootie

Agent Darkbootie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Get me an antique photo with a bluetooth piece, and Ipod, and one of those hideous new Pepsi bottles, then we'll talk.

#7    -MiDAS-

-MiDAS-

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

View PostMele Kalikimaka, on 18 April 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

Get me an antique photo with a bluetooth piece, and Ipod, and one of those hideous new Pepsi bottles, then we'll talk.

HAHAHA. Yea that's about it.

Posted Image

#8    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:38 PM

View PostMele Kalikimaka, on 18 April 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

Well, I don't have an antique photo, but I have a photo of my aunt Tique.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• We should respect a person not because who they are, but what they do with their life, is the way they earn our respect.

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

Just some picture of a guy. I'm surprised that this was found here in BC, I wonder if the museum employee's don't know about photoshop!  :lol:

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#10    Cryptid_Control

Cryptid_Control

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• “When the snows falls and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 18 April 2010 - 04:38 PM, said:

Well, I don't have an antique photo, but I have a photo of my aunt Tique.

Haha,  :lol:

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,727 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

The shirt could very well have something written on it. It was called silk screening people. People used to make their own designs and print them on their shirts. It's been around hundreds of years.

The guy appears to be holding a camera. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as he is not going to use a flash. They needed flash bulb cartrages back then that attached to the top of the camera. The resolution is not enough to see if there is a attachment point on top of the camera.

This guy could easily belong in the picture.

I cropped and blew up the guy in question.

Attached Files

Edited by DieChecker, 18 April 2010 - 06:03 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    Agent X

Agent X

Illustrious Potentate Of All Time Space And Matter

• 5,086 posts

• Invent nonsense computer jargon in conversations, and see if people play along to avoid the appearance of ignorance.

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

THE DOCTOR!

:unsure2:

Posted Image

#13    Shadow_of_Man

Shadow_of_Man

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

• "The blind man is one who refuses to see what is truly there."

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

The first known printed t-shirt was "The Smithsonian museum has ‘the oldest printed T-shirt’ on record in their collection and on display. It is a campaign shirt for New York Gov. Thomas Dewey's 1948 presidential campaign." - from http://www.zoozoo2.c...rt-history.html - If this picture was taken in 1940 - that would be 8 years before - strange.

Posted Image

"Don't go into the light - it's a trap!"

#14    T Money

T Money

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 18 April 2010 - 06:02 PM, said:

The shirt could very well have something written on it. It was called silk screening people. People used to make their own designs and print them on their shirts. It's been around hundreds of years.

The guy appears to be holding a camera. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as he is not going to use a flash. They needed flash bulb cartrages back then that attached to the top of the camera. The resolution is not enough to see if there is a attachment point on top of the camera.

This guy could easily belong in the picture.

I cropped and blew up the guy in question.

If you read the article you'll notice he ISN'T holding the camera, its the guy behind him holding it. very strange.....  also "silk Screening" wasnt around til the late 40's....

#15    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

The article explained it, as Mattshark pointed out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users