Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Warming Brightens the Outlook for Brit. Wine

questionmark

English winegrowers are benefiting from global warming and their reputation is improving fast. Despite the rain, some British vintners dream of competing with France's Champagne region.

Stuart Smith is a man with a difficult mission: growing grapes and making wine where others are only drinking it. In recent days, he and his pickers in England's northernmost and probably coolest vineyard brought in the last of the harvest.Ryedale, in the county of North Yorkshire, is farther north than Hamburg, and yet, says Smith, "the vintage is good, very good, in fact" --- plump grapes, plenty of sugar and low acidity.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MARAB0D

• Mattshark

• questionmark

• stevewinn

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Romans where here they where growing wine as far north as Scottish border. nothing new. i wonder what they thought when the wine crops stopped growing when the temperature started to drop to today's low.

I find this funny that people who deny Global warming are profiting from it. I hope that ya'll see the light.

I never knew Britain had wines! Thank you for education. I thought they had this nice gin and some muddy pigswill beer which one has to take with lemon to kill the taste.

I never knew Britain had wines! Thank you for education. I thought they had this nice gin and some muddy pigswill beer which one has to take with lemon to kill the taste.

As opposed to the fizzy 'beer' which is really lager.

p.s. Just out of curiosity Questionmark are you going for the 'most posts in one forum' record?

Edited by itsnotoutthere

When the Romans where here they where growing wine as far north as Scottish border. nothing new. i wonder what they thought when the wine crops stopped growing when the temperature started to drop to today's low.

They probably thought the end of the world was nigh and tried to tax people on their cooling output. Damned stupid back then.

Edited by Moon Monkey

Yeah we have vinyards all the way up to Yorkshire as well, we just never got round to making much wine after the Romans left.

They probably thought the end of the world was nigh and tried to tax people on their cooling output. Damned stupid back then.

:lol: somethings dont change :tu:

Yeah we have vinyards all the way up to Yorkshire as well, we just never got round to making much wine after the Romans left.

All Yorkshire people I know drink not wine, but Scrumpy. :)

There are several reasons for that...most of all is the quality of the wine. If you want to try Roman wine the last place would be Galicia, where the grapes have remained mostly unaltered since that time. It is sour, bubbly and has very little alcohol... but for some reason when in Galicia it tastes great.

There are several reasons for that...most of all is the quality of the wine. If you want to try Roman wine the last place would be Galicia, where the grapes have remained mostly unaltered since that time. It is sour, bubbly and has very little alcohol... but for some reason when in Galicia it tastes great.

I remember in early 70s some perverts developed the grapes, tolerant to the winters below -30C. There were then enthusiasts, planting them near Moscow and even making wine - that one (methinks) did not have alcohol at all, but plenty of vinegar instead!

No fair QM! You are dissing my favourite Spanish White Rias Baixas. A pretty good Galician white yes.gif

All Yorkshire people I know drink not wine, but Scrumpy. :)

Your at the wrong end of the country for Scrumpy? and we have the best beer in the world, i can't stand that fizzy stuff, try Newcastle Brown, theakstons old peculiar or one of the many local traditionally made real ales, you won't want to touch that gut rotting pop you call beer ever again.

Edited by hetrodoxly

It is more certain that by the time of the Norman Conquest, vines were grown, and wine made, in a substantial number of monastic institutions in England, especially, southern England. The legacy of street names (such as Vine street or the Vineyards) in London and provincial towns and cities - suggests that vines and vineyards were certainly no great rarities.

At the time of the compilation of the Domesday Survey in the late eleventh century, vineyards were recorded in 46 places in southern England, from East Anglia through to modern-day Somerset. By the time King Henry VIIIth ascended the throne there were 139 sizeable vineyards in England and Wales - 11 of them owned by the Crown, 67 by noble families and 52 by the church.

http://www.english-wine.com/history.html

scrumpy - Somerset ooh aah ooh aah.

No fair QM! You are dissing my favourite Spanish White Rias Baixas. A pretty good Galician white yes.gif

They also have that good red wine, so opaque that it lets almost no light through and the Betanzos wine, famed for having 2% less alcohol than water.

If there's one place on Earth that's gonna benefit from global warming, it's the UK!

We're going tropical baby, so throw away those stuffy old panama hats and let's all bump'n'grind with the natives.

The UK is the place to be. B)

hawaiian-shirt-beach-bum-collage.jpg

If there's one place on Earth that's gonna benefit from global warming, it's the UK!

We're going tropical baby, so throw away those stuffy old panama hats and let's all bump'n'grind with the natives.

The UK is the place to be. B)

hawaiian-shirt-beach-bum-collage.jpg

Sadly we are the country that is very likely to get colder in the future as the gulf stream is moving away.

Sadly we are the country that is very likely to get colder in the future as the gulf stream is moving away.

... in fact... does Ice age sound like something you know? Last time they say it happened in months after the gulf stream collapsed.

... in fact... does Ice age sound like something you know? Last time they say it happened in months after the gulf stream collapsed.

It is not so much collapsing now though as much as it is migrating west.

That why it's called the North Atlantic Drift; it drifts here, it drift there..

It moves away comes back takes you to the top then it looks like it's disappearing then reappears as if by magic.

It's all over the shop...but that's thermohaline circulation for ya.. :geek:

That why it's called the North Atlantic Drift; it drifts here, it drift there..

It moves away comes back takes you to the top then it looks like it's disappearing then reappears as if by magic.

It's all over the shop...but that's thermohaline circulation for ya.. :geek:

No it is definitely migrating west, I'm not just talking about the north Atlantic drift here, the movement seen is a result of increasing fresh water run off alter the currents.

it is definitely migrating west, I'm not just talking about the north Atlantic drift here, the movement seen is a result of increasing fresh water run off alter the currents.

yep, we've all seen 'the day after tomorrow' but I'll prefer to get my science from science books, usually big science books, while you two can get your science from Hollywood..

Run, run, run from the freezing ice... oh no, the gulf stream has collapsed or is moving due to magical fresh water, oh no look out! now, a super storm is sucking space down to earth.

And of course beware the wolves...which environmentalist decided to introduce those..? :rolleyes: it's only make the apocalypse worse.

Edited by Bill Hill

yep, we've all seen 'the day after tomorrow' but I'll prefer to get my science from science books, usually big science books, while you two can get your science from Hollywood..

Run, run, run from the freezing ice... oh no, the gulf stream has collapsed or is moving due to magical fresh water, oh no look out! now, a super storm is sucking space down to earth.

And of course beware the wolves...which environmentalist decided to introduce those..? :rolleyes: it's only make the apocalypse worse.

Old Soviet joke:

- Captain, Gulfstream has frozen!

- I told you not to put the Jews in night watch!