Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My kitties know it's me....

First_Indigo_Child

I have always marveled at this. Every kitty I have had the privilege of adopting has known when I've driven into the driveway, after (usually a long 8 hour work-related separation).

My first one, Jasper, knew the sound of my car (even though it sounded like every other car), and when I would emerge from the car he'd already be at the window. I never knew how he knew this.

Our four-legged friends truly are amazing.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• Mattshark

• CurlyQLink

• Stormcrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, my dog apparently goes crazy when I am about half a mile from home, just as I have enetered our village in my car he goes mad running around and whining like a crazy puppy.

It's not uncommon at all. Horses also know about earthquakes from miles and miles around. Old news. But very intriguing old news.

The family puppy Cocoa also knew when my mom or dad was coming home. It was very cute, and served (usually, not always) as a good warning system for me and my sister :)

My mum and dad's dog did that when they were coming home from work... About ten minutes before they got home she would start jumping about and running to the door.

My kittun Half knows just when my step-brother is pulling in the drive way. If he has kids in his van, she'll run and hide even before anyone gets out. If it's just him, she's perfectly fine. But all three of them stopped coming down to greet us long ago. :lol: They decided sleep was much better than running to the door every evening.

I have always marveled at this. Every kitty I have had the privilege of adopting has known when I've driven into the driveway, after (usually a long 8 hour work-related separation).

My first one, Jasper, knew the sound of my car (even though it sounded like every other car), and when I would emerge from the car he'd already be at the window. I never knew how he knew this.

Our four-legged friends truly are amazing.

Cats are perfectly good at comprehending time, same as we are. Nothing unusual or amazing about this.

They probably also sit at the window for some time, cats also like to do this.

Same for dogs, they comprehend time passed.

It's not uncommon at all. Horses also know about earthquakes from miles and miles around. Old news. But very intriguing old news

That is nothing but anecdotes that don't stand up to general observation.

Cats are perfectly good at comprehending time, same as we are. Nothing unusual or amazing about this.

I think some may be better at comprehending time than some people. :lol: I had a kitten that woke up every morning at exactly 6AM and beat on the doors and caused a ruckus because we were late getting up, and he was hungry. If that didn't work then he'd run up and down the halls yowling. Every morning, six o'clock sharp. With a cat like that, you'd never need an alarm clock again!

They can't get enough windows. I sometimes wonder if my cats would rather have the window as opposed to the actual outdoors...

Same for dogs, they comprehend time passed.

Maybe... however I don't have any routine so time has nothing to do with my dog knowing my arrival?

Maybe... however I don't have any routine so time has nothing to do with my dog knowing my arrival?

I didn't say it always applied. They will know your smell and potentially there are hearing based explanations too.

Me either... and there lies the mystery.

I'm out of town a lot, and often, several times a year, out of the country, for various lengths of time, so, how do my dogs know? Ok, I will admit that one starts off the others in many cases...I'm talking pet dogs in general now.

It's generally my Poodle that 'knows' that I am about to arrive, but since, to them, my points of arrival have no rhyme or reason to them, it's a complete mystery to me how they know.

I didn't say it always applied. They will know your smell and potentially there are hearing based explanations too.

I know it is not a smell based explanation but I do believe it to be hearing based.. a familiarity with my car and the engine noise would be easy for my dog to pick up.

I know it is not a smell based explanation but I do believe it to be hearing based.. a familiarity with my car and the engine noise would be easy for my dog to pick up.

Yeah, I think that sounds about right, If you were walking though I think the smell would be appropriate.

This is a bit of a stretch on the topic, but I do this. (No, I'm not a cat or dog.) I constantly "hear" my mother's car pull in the driveway about 5 minutes before she gets home from work or shopping or wherever. It's odd.

My dogs know the sound of my Jeep pulling into the driveway. Till then they are fast asleep....

My dogs know the sound of my Jeep pulling into the driveway. Till then they are fast asleep....

How do you know they are fast asleep if you are in the jeep?

My dog reacts to any car or person that pulls onto my drive even if he is asleep, my milk man has tried for 3 years to get the milk to my door without my dog knowing he was there.

How do you know they are fast asleep if you are in the jeep?

My dog reacts to any car or person that pulls onto my drive even if he is asleep, my milk man has tried for 3 years to get the milk to my door without my dog knowing he was there.

If you know Ridgebacks you know they are either sleeping or going full speed. No middle ground. My wife laughs at them, nothing bothers them until they hear my Jeep. Then there up and running. I guess it is the distinct sound of the Jeep that they recognise.

my gran says the same. the animals know when I'm on my way home. and if I'm gone for more than a couple of days now my cat ( 10 in Sept.09) has bouts of 'anxiety'.

I would be gone when she was a couple of years old for months at a time in England. She was fine because my gran was here although she'd huff at me when I got home. But when gran had to be put in the hospital and I was still 2 weeks till due home ... Alley had a break down ! she made it out of the house and was gone. I cried. searched for her when I got home to no avail. one night before putting up posters of her I let the dog out to wizz.

I called her name .....and heard a soft mew. she ran to me and jumped into my arms ! half her weight and filthy. her stretchy collar still on but someone removed the metal ID tag. ( she is a very pretty long haired tortie ) evidently someone had her.

then I found she was very angry for the first day but got over it , not letting me go to the bathroom even alone. followed me like a puppy. As a result of that stress she developed bladder stones. Had them removed . And has been fine ever since.... but turned a bit prematurely gray around her ears.

poor moo cat ... lol. ( I call her that cause sometimes when she mews it sounds like moo...)

the dog I have now, Daisy ??? my shadow. jealous of the cat. has a heart attack if I don't take her with me .

Oddly enough , both of them know when the pizza man delivers. Gran loves her small individual cheese pizza. the dog will whine and scratch at the door and the cat will sit by the door. Alley doesn't like many people , but she likes the pizza man. go figure.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Alley doesn't like many people , but she likes the pizza man. go figure.

linked-image

I will say one thing....... I do trust my dogs instincts. My Ridgebacks (who are with me a lot more than not) have alerted me a number of times to concerning /dangerous situations. My breed is not known as a "barker", so when a Ridgie barks, somethings up.

Edited by CurlyQLink