Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Praying mantis caught on camera eating a

Still Waters

The predatory insect dangles from a plant while using its legs to overcome the helpless bird.

And the mantis, which is not much bigger than its prey, then gorges itself before releasing the lifeless body of its victim.

linked-imageRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• thefinalfrontier

• Purplos

• Queen in the North

Top Posters In This Topic

Hay that’s just crazy Man! That’s way crazy, Hummingbirds are very fast; I was talking with my Organic Nursery supply store, and they were telling me of a story, a Woman comes in a buys a Praying Mantis Egg Case along with outer supplies for her outdoor garden, and upon the way home the Praying Mantis Egg fell out of the sack and unknowingly rolled under her Car’s back seat, so a few days later she wakes up and goes to her car and there is like hundreds of wee Praying Mantis having a Cannibalistic Orgy in her car, flying all about within and they had infested her seats foam padding.

Pavot

I've seen that pic before. Pretty amazing!

And my cousin did something very similar with a mantis egg case and his bedroom. They hatched overnight and his Mom came running in to find him in bed screaming with hundreds of mantis flying about. She vacuumed them up.

Praying mantis give me the shivers.

Great picture though.

what can you do, they are the champions in the insect world. best of the best.

The mantis is the ultimate killing machine,

Great picture though.

Really? I think they are beautiful creatures. I remember the first one I saw, it was in Thailand and I loved the way it followed my finger.

The mantis is the ultimate killing machine,

I think this jumping spider may disagree.

linked-image

wow I had no idea that they could or would do that! shadang they are creepy!

I think this jumping spider may disagree.

Well each in there own way have the killer traits and dominate its world, I think the mantis would make a nice little snack of the jumper though, Dont get me wrong Shark, I know they are very deadly at what they do, Every preditor has its weapons,,

Regards;

TFF

Great picture though.

You and me both... brrr...

What an amazing story! I knew that mantises were strong and fast, but not that strong and fast!

I remember the first time I saw a mantis in action. I was in the fourth grade--about 10 years old. I was out in the back yard and noticed a bunch of butterfly wings strewn about in a small area near a tree. I didn't see the mantis until I went closer to see what had happened. It had concealed itself in the grass among some wild flowers that the butterflies were visiting. It was about three inches long, as green as the grass was, and was methodically devouring yet another butterfly. I figured that mantis had caught and eaten seven or eight butterflies, all in a short period of time. Man, it was just slaughtering those stupid butterflies, leaving behind only the pretty wings.

Dragonflys are good preditors as well, Deadly swift and catch they prey in the air mid flight, I observed this while mowing my lawn one time a few years back, Leaf hoppers would jump up in front of my mower and the dragonflys would catch them in mid air, Not something you see every day,

I bet a mantis could grab a dragonfly out of the air, no problemo! But then, of course, it'd get mown down! Looks like the lawnmower wins the survival game! Well, no . . . if that were true, there wouldn't be so many damned bugs all over the place! :)

Edited by CausticGnostic

Really? I think they are beautiful creatures. I remember the first one I saw, it was in Thailand and I loved the way it followed my finger.

Oh there's no denying that they're beautiful, there's just something about them...

Well each in there own way have the killer traits and dominate its world, I think the mantis would make a nice little snack of the jumper though, Dont get me wrong Shark, I know they are very deadly at what they do, Every preditor has its weapons,,

Regards;

TFF

Definitely mantids are superb ambush predators, but I jumping spiders have speed and eyesight advantages over them because they are active hunters (the one in the pic is certainly making a big meal out of that mantis)

They're the only insect with a neck.

I think that makes them creepy. They can turn their head and look at you with those huge alien eyes.