Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

the Perils of Genetically Engineered Salmon

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

I found this to be an interesting news item

On December 21, the agency announced that AquaBounty’s genetically engineered salmon had cleared the final hurdle before clinching FDA approval.
Despite insufficient testing and widespread consumer opposition, AquaBounty’s food experiment is dangerously close to becoming the first genetically engineered animal produced for human consumption. Yes, a newfangled fish may soon land on a dinner plate near you.
For those who have been following this news for the past several years, the timing of the FDA’s release of its draft environmental assessment — the Friday before Christmas — was no surprise. But the news was still frightening: The FDA may give this transgenic animal the green light under a new approval process that treats the fish as an “animal drug.”

What is an animal-drug you ask?

According to FDA logic, the drug per se is AquaBounty’s patented genetic construct, made of genes from two other fish inserted into Atlantic salmon DNA. The company claims this cluster of genes, aka the drug, makes AquAdvantage salmon grow faster than its non-GM counterparts, and it hopes to sell that claim – and lots of AquAdvantage salmon eggs – to fish farmers everywhere.

This label also helps them to avoid the label as being a food. leading to faster approval.

More disturbing

AquaBounty, the biotech company responsible for bringing us this fishy salmon,used its own data to convince the FDA that it is safe to eat. But AquaBounty’s profits are inextricably linked to approval of this salmon. It’s outrageous that the FDA would take AquaBounty’s word over that of dozens of lawmakers and scientists, including experts at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Fish and Wildlife Service, not to mention thousands of concerned consumers.

So it hasn´t even been proven that it is safe for consumption by any independent agency.

What about dangers to the environment?

By releasing an environmental assessment instead of a more thorough environmental impact statement, the FDA has failed to fully consider the threat this controversial new fish could pose to wild fish populations.

http://otherwords.or...t-a-fork-in-it/

So it seems as if corporate interests are being placed yet again before both our personal and environmental health and  safety. These kinds of things being passed in such a haphazard way without proper scrutiny is disgraceful.

My philosophy is if your gonna play with mother nature, you better be damn sure you´ve really checked ALL the angles before you start-

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

They have no intention of *not* passing it. We can cry and sign as many petitions are we want.
Salmon even now,the farmed kind,is not good to eat . Most farmed fish are no longer healthy because of cramped space etc .
Salmon ,Tilapia . I wont touch Chilean bass and the like,because they're endangered ,and yet you see it at whole foods for sale.
No one cares.
We deplete the crap out of our resources .Make it unsafe ,then make Franken versions ,so the mass public can eat it,and the good stuff is only affordable to the rich .
I stopped eating salmon three years ago ,because I knew the farmed kind was no longer a healthy option .,so it doesn't phase me at all .
I still eat tilapia and flounder ,but very rarely .

Keep in mind,this will also affect things like salmon oil and salmon oil supplements.
They pick these things to warp, very purposefully,to affect as many common place "healthy" items as possible.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 03 February 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Miss me?

#3    Cora Calliope

Cora Calliope

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Salmon is my favorite food. However, I try to limit my intake of salmon (and fish in general) because of concerns over mercury levels, etc. I honestly don't think it's a good idea to make GM fish, not only because it sounds gross, but because we don't know the effects it will have on  the environment and the humans who eat it. I really hope that, at the very least, GM fish is labeled as such, and not passed off as genuine salmon.

#4    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostCora Calliope, on 03 February 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Salmon is my favorite food. However, I try to limit my intake of salmon (and fish in general) because of concerns over mercury levels, etc. I honestly don't think it's a good idea to make GM fish, not only because it sounds gross, but because we don't know the effects it will have on  the environment and the humans who eat it. I really hope that, at the very least, GM fish is labeled as such, and not passed off as genuine salmon.

You don't really need to worry about salmon too much when it comes to mercury levels. It is the larger fish that eat lots of other, smaller fish that are highest in mercury. Think tuna, swordfish, seabass and shark. It's because low level mercury fish are eaten a lot by medium sized fish, where the mercury then builds up. Then even larger fish come along and eat the medium ones and as a result collect a lot more mercury.

Posted Image

This link has a (in no way definitive) link that you can use as a rough guide.

You can pretty much eat all the salmon you want. You may end up skint though :)

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 03 February 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#5    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

'This link has a (in no way definitive) link list that you can use as a rough guide.'

#6    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,073 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

GM  stuff mixing with Mother Nature's version  ,which she took billions of years to create,  is what worries me.    Too many unknowns ...  it's completely irresponsible .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

What are we going to have left that we can safely eat ?

#8    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,106 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Fear mongering continues...

Words of former anti-GMOist:

So I guess you’ll be wondering – what happened between 1995 and now that made me not only change my mind but come here and admit it? Well, the answer is fairly simple: I discovered science, and in the process I hope I became a better environmentalist.
(emphasis mine; link)

Edit: spelling.

Edited by bmk1245, 03 February 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).
If yesterday you would have stood up proud. Then why tonight have you thrown in with the stoning crowd? (Cradle of Filth)

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 03 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Pretty much nothing. Everything grown will be processed or GMO .
meat and poultry are fed steroids and antibiotics .Fish is either endangered ,farmed or gmo .
Nothing .Not in the USA anyway .

Miss me?

#10    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

It is a sad state of affairs. Really. We never needed the GMO's. I mean I get fish farms but they should be set up in a free range style. As should all poultry and meat. Ill stand by that till the day I die.

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 03 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Pretty much nothing. Everything grown will be processed or GMO .
meat and poultry are fed steroids and antibiotics .Fish is either endangered ,farmed or gmo .
Nothing .Not in the USA anyway .

View PostCora Calliope, on 03 February 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Mercury ,although a concern in fish ,isn't really a man made issue.
Tests done on specimens of fish from as far back as the 1800s ,showed the mercury levels from fish back then,match mercury levels of fish today .
It seems to just be a predisposition for fish to be high in mercury .

And its obvious they do not want to label gmo anything ,so don't expect too much on that front .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM.

Miss me?

#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 03 February 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Fear mongering continues...

Words of former anti-GMOist:
(emphasis mine; link)

Edit: spelling.

Former anti gmo = paid off to say the opposite.
Bill gates = anti Christ

Sure feed billions crap,because bill gates wants billions to die so his children can live in the world of his creations.
Lol

http://nutritionnews...iews.com/?p=314

http://www.organicco...media052102.cfm

http://myhealingkitc...t-organic-food/

http://www.bibliotec...cro-gates11.htm

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 03 February 2013 - 02:53 PM.

Miss me?

#13    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

comes out demonizing organic food and implying those who choose it over “conventional” foods are some sort of delusional health nuts.

So these processed/chemtrailed foods are now considered "conventional" and the organic advocates are nuts. For the lulz.

#14    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I pulled this out of the article you linked: Health Risks of GMO foods.

http://www.responsib...org/gmo-dangers

#15    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 03 February 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

I pulled this out of the article you linked: Health Risks of GMO foods.

http://www.responsib...org/gmo-dangers

We've had gmo foods for a while,but not to the degree we do now.
Soy and corn crops are near 100% gmo now . Processed foods use what as additives ? Corn and soy based products,ergo,almost everything we eat that's baked ,processed ,and comes in a box,has a gmo component .
Everything. Eating it once in a while was one thing,now its everything. That cannot be good.
Read labels. See what contains soy or corn ,and you will be amazed.
Almost all dry dog and cats foods have corn as the first ingredient.
I only buy ones with rice .

So let's look at the chronology .
Monsanto was a chemical engineering company. They created agent orange . The effects of the children of people exposed to tangent orange,goes on even today .
In Dec of 2009,despite what Snopes says  ,as i know for a fact its true ,Obomba signed codes alimentarius into law.
This gave Monsanto complete control over the seed supply in the USA .
It's illegal for farmers to hoard heirloom seeds ,aka NON GMO seeds.
Only certain entities can have heirloom seeds now .
Monsanto has flooded the market with gmo seeds.
You have to look at any seeds you buy now ,and wonder if its real or Franken .
The whole gmo thing with bill gates ,didnt go into full swing after this.
He sank millions into monsantos gmo endeavors .
Google "Bill Gates ,depopulation"
And you let me know what you find .

Also ,the gmo crops and response to monsantos round up pesticide,is what's killing our bees,and monsanto covered it up .

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users