Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Capital Punishment - For or against?

Beckys_Mom

750px-Death_Penalty_World_Map.svg.png

Legend

***** Abolished for all crimes

****** Abolished for all crimes except under exceptional/special circumstances (such as crimes committed in wartime)

****** Abolished in practice (under a moratorium or haven't used capital punishment in at least 10 years)

****** Retainers of the death penalty

There is more to read on this, including a full table of the countries who use capital punishment ( death penalty ) for various crimes .. You can see those listed in the table

Click here -> http://en.wikipedia....ment_by_country

I am interested in seeing how both religious and non religious feel towards the capital punishment... Is it totally wrong? OR is it acceptable depending on the crime? ALSO - Should the death penalty never have existed? If it should never have existed, why is that? And on the other hand - If it should have existed, why is that?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

Against. Too many times innocent people have been killed, usually (black) minorities of course. All Christians, of which I am one believe it or not, should be against the death penalty.

• Like 5

All Christians, of which I am one believe it or not, should be against the death penalty.

Why should all christians be against the death penalty?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

The only time I have a problem with the death penalty is when its given on circumstantial evidence. There should be overwhelming evidence of the persons guilt of things like mass murder. Take someone like Charles Manson I think he should of been put to death.

I consider myself religious but I don't go to church.

• Like 3

For in cases like serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles. I do not look at this as punishment, but protection for the rest of society. How much more money would each country have if we did not have to pay to keep these people alive in prison?

• Like 5

Too risky, imo. Execute just one person who happens to be innocent makes us the murderers. (only my opinion, of course).

It does irk me though that there are killers and rapists etc sittin on their fat erse in jail though. I guess am just one the confused, clueless types who should never be on a jury.

• Like 4

For myself, I'm against the death penalty handed down by a government court.

Curiously enough, I'm somewhat OK with, say, my shooting to kill someone molesting my daughters, or raping someone else, or a bad hostage situation, etc...

The only time I have a problem with the death penalty is when its given on circumstantial evidence. There should be overwhelming evidence of the persons guilt of things like mass murder. Take someone like Charles Manson I think he should of been put to death.

For in cases like serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles. I do not look at this as punishment, but protection for the rest of society. How much more money would each country have if we did not have to pay to keep these people alive in prison?

You both took the words right out of my mouth.

• Like 2

Life imprisonment is fine with me, even for capital crimes IF there is a guarantee that the sentence cannot be overturned later. Having said that, I would also give such a criminal the option of a death sentence at any point during their incarceration. Their choice. This would be a merciful option for me if I were the one living out the rest of my days in what would be little more than a cage. Some people deserve to die for their crimes according to the OT but since most of the ideas of crime and punishment from that era have changed, I think the idea of death for crime is up for review as well. What I would NOT be okay with is ever letting anyone who takes a life in a premeditated fashion out of prison, ever.

• Like 1

I am kind of torn. It is not good for crime prevention, that has been shown studies, but some people can't live in society. They are a danger. IMO they are mentally ill for the most part. If you do a capital crime you must be kind of off in the first place in most places that have it. Some counties are run by first class jerks who use it political or religious control which is not right. They are the ones who should be up against the wall. But in case of a mass murder, you can't turn them out on the street to kill again, so you end up warehousing them. Which can be as cruel as capital punishment.

Ok this is what I think. Genocidal despots, and mass murders, yes, political or religious crimes, no.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

Why should all christians be against the death penalty?

Ask yourself if Jesus would have been in favor of it and you have your answer.

I consider myself religious but I don't go to church.

Charles Manson didn't personally kill anybody and the people he ordered to kill had a choice. He's right where he belongs rotting away in a living hell.
  • Like 1

Curiously enough, I'm somewhat OK with, say, my shooting to kill someone molesting my daughters, or raping someone else, or a bad hostage situation, etc...

Interesting outlook you have there - It's not OK to have it legally done by law, but it is OK to illegally do it yourself...!

Ask yourself if Jesus would have been in favor of it and you have your answer.

That's interesting you should say that, as it was Jesus who faced the death penalty for you all. It was gods plan ( apparently so ) .. IF there was never a death penalty, then it wouldn't mean as much to you and the rest of the Christians if say - Jesus did some jail time instead for sins? I can just hear a priest say - "Be grateful to the lord, he did some porridge for your sins" ... ( doing porridge is slang for jail time ) Somehow, I don't think that would sound right..do you?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

Apparently it against the Eighth Amendment for the crime of rape to carry the death penalty.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/433/584/case.html

Though this is just ignorant;

"Although it may be accompanied by another crime, rape, by definition, does not include the death of or even the serious injury to another person."

In general I am not opposed to the death penalty... However, There needs to be some way to be absolutely sure of the persons guilt... I'm not sure how, perhaps a 'truth serum' administered after conviction but before sentencing (yes, I know these 'serums' are not 100% reliable - but we need something)...

Perhaps I could be against any form of death penalty if prisons really were "Correctional Facilities"... but sadly they don't really correct anything - they mostly just get the convicted out of sight for a while - at great expense...

And I never thought of a death penalty as a 'deterrent' to capitol crime... It does however, ensure that the individual murderer (etc) does not repeat their crime...

And as for a person who has a mental condition where they 'need to kill'... I seriously doubt they can ever be cured, like a dog with rabies... (I could probably word that better, but I'm pressed for time right now)..

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

As long as you cannot assure that everybody executed is guilty (and it seems that plenty more innocent than we suppose are executed) I am completely against it. If you jail an innocent you can at least tell him that you are sorry for the mistake.

Edited by questionmark

If you jail an innocent you can at least tell him that you are sorry for the mistake.

And pay compensation, and lots of it

Interesting that you are against the government killing convicted criminals but for them killing unconvicted people in far away lands via drone.
  • Like 1

As a Christian my view on this is torn between the theoretical and the practical. In theory, I agree with the concept of a Death Penalty. In some cases this is warranted. However, unless the person sentencing the person is able to know with 100% certainty the guilt of the person, it is impossible to ethically enact a death sentence. And by "100% certainty" I don't just mean a legal ruling. I refer to a complete knowledge of the person, an ability to read their thoughts and motivations, clairvoyance to see past events that only the accused may have been witness to. Nothing short of this will do. No human can do this, not even with modern technology like video footage (they can only see physical actions, not perceive motivations and feelings and thoughts). Only a god who can delve deep into the heart of a person could conceivably do such a thing.

Not even an admission of guilt would be enough. In England there was a murder case (back before Capital Punishment was abolished) in which the accused man gave himself to police (he'd apparently killed his wife and daughter). He admitted to the crime, told them where to find the bodies, and signed a confession. Naturally he was found guilty and executed for his crime. Several years later, this man's landlord was arrested for murdering a client - in exactly the same way as the convicted murderer. During the inquest, the landlord admitted that he killed the man's wife and child, and was able to manipulate the man into confessing the crime (the man had a borderline mental handicap, on the much lower end of normal intelligence). Of course, the man was given a posthumous pardon, but that's no comfort to the man's relatives. Unsurprisingly, this case was one of the watershed events that led to England abolishing the death penalty.

So taking this into consideration, despite that modern methods can reliably tell us what happened at crime scenes, the chance (no matter how small) remains of someone making a mistake and executing someone unfairly. Thus I submit that while in theory I may agree with Capital Punishment, in practice, I cannot at all condone the use of such a punishment!

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

Interesting that you are against the government killing convicted criminals but for them killing unconvicted people in far away lands via drone.

Translated - I don't like the idea of the law doing it legally, but I would do it illegally myself.. lol

Against. I Eco the sentiments of PA. One innocent is worth more than a 1,000 guiltiest. Though my gut reaction is to "string em up" especially the monsters that mess with children, when I really think about it, death is to easy and torture to dangerouse for the rest of society. I'd rather then rot in isolation for the rest of their lives.

I'm all for murderers and rapists being put straight to death for their crimes, of course after a trial, but I don't think there should be any other option for them.

• Like 2