Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Psychology of a “Non-Conspiracy Theorist"

Sweetpumper

Conspiracy theorist says: “You are claiming that fire alone can cause a building to self-implode, descend at freefall speed into its own footprint? That’s physically impossible, what about Newton’s Laws and laws of thermal dynamics and such? “

Non-conspiracy theorist says: “No, you are wrong because you are a conspiracy theorist.”

Don't be silly, everyone knows it can't do that. That needs a Nuke to do that.

Conspiracy theorist says: “You are claiming that fire alone can cause a building to self-implode, descend at freefall speed into its own footprint? That’s physically impossible, what about Newton’s Laws and laws of thermal dynamics and such? “

Actually, this non-conspiracy theorist says that the conspiracy theorist's ability to tell what is physically impossible would be more believable if the conspiracy theorist could actually spell thermodynamics, or for that matter could even point out a building which fell into its own footprint.

• Like 7

And with that, often the non-conspiracy theorist will walk away. What’s happening? They had nothing to elaborate on, so the non-conspiracy theorist - whose thinking is engineered and controlled by government, mainstream media and Hollywood entertainment - resorted to a socially engineered answer.

Well then this author has never been to UM; a simple search will bring back reams and year-long threads of elaboration, especially on 9/11.

• Like 2

this whole thread is wrong! it's a conspiracy theorist.

*walks away*

*walks back*

forgot my coat.

*walks away again*

• Like 3

Yes. and the self-indulgent witticisms of the Non-Conspiracy Theorists are exceedingly tiresome.

• Like 3

"Non-conspiracy theorist says: “No, you are wrong because you are a conspiracy theorist.”"

Straw man argument. Nobody actually says this.

No, you are wrong because you are a conspiracy theorist. just kidding :)

Yes. and the self-indulgent witticisms of the Non-Conspiracy Theorists are exceedingly tiresome.

well, who else am i gonna indulge? that guy over there? he's a conspiracy theorist!

*walks away*

I have been debating against the none conspiracy theorist for many years and I think I have a good understanding of the psychological reasoning that most none conspiracy theorist use. What I have noticed is that when you debate most non conspiracy theorists, is that you often end up arguing their personal beliefs and not actually arguing the conspiracy or the evidence.

Personal beliefs are the mental acceptance and judgement that something exists or is true, arriving at a conclusion about a proposition which is often based without any evidence or knowledge, this where faith comes in. Faith is very problematic because if a person really believes in something without evidence, they have already formulated a belief about a subject. If a person believes something is true using faith, then their belief is removed from facts and reality because it is not dependent on reality or evidence.

The problem is that most none conspiracy theorist do not understand the difference between possibilities and their personal beliefs. I have tried to explain that I can't argue with their personal beliefs, but this usually falls on deaf ears and rather than arguing about what is possible and what isn't, we end up reverting back to their personal beliefs.

The problem is the faith in their personal belief is held with an almost religious zest that nothing can make them change their positions. Even when there is evidence which contradicts what they believe, they will often find a reason to ignore, deny or lie about evidence because it doesn't fit in with what they personally believe. It has to be rejected because their faith in the personal belief can't be challenged.

Another thing I have noticed with none conspiracy theorists, is they suffer from a fear of conspiracies theories in general. They will even take the risk of looking a little silly in order to reject evidence pointing towards a conspiracy theory for fear of it being possibly true. Sometimes the response is something along the lines of "So what?"...Or... "Nobody cares?" which isn't true because if they didn't care, they wouldn't be here.

What I find puzzling is that although they do not believe in conspiracy theories, then why are they here asking people about them?? Although I am atheist, I do not argue or debate with Christians, Catholics, Muslims or anyone else about religion. Why not I hear you ask??

Because I am very comfortable with my personal beliefs in my atheism that I do not need to communicate with religious people to strengthen the support in my belief and arguments against religion. I would only communicate with them if my faith in my atheism was not 100% or I had doubts about it. I think deep down, that is the problem with those none conspiracy theorists who frequent forums like this.

If I had the same levels of faith in the official story, I wouldn't be concern about conspiracy theorist forums and there deluded claims because I would have an unshakable faith, that I do not need to question their theories.

However, what I do notice is that the none conspiracy theorists become even more irrational when there faith is challenged, this to me confirms that they doubts about the official story, otherwise they wouldn't be here would they. Surely they have better things to do than question some truther about the a theory which they think is BS.

Usually when people mock, belittle or laugh at other people, it is usually because of their own insecurities. I find that this is the same with the none conspiracy theorists who frequent forums like this. They usually refer to the madness of conspiracy theories and how strange they are, but as I have said, I do not believe in UFO theories and even though they are in the same forum, I never post and barely read those threads because I am perfectly comfortable and safe with my knowledge on the subject, that I do not feel the need to confirm my own bias or belittle the other.

That's my 2 pence worth......lol

• Like 6

Non-conspiracy theorist says: “No, you are wrong because you are a conspiracy theorist.”

Weird. I've never met a conspiracy theorist that used evidence wihtout completely misrepresenting it.

I have never met anyone that claimed someone was wrong because they were a conspiracy theorist.

Definitely a straw man argument.

• Like 4

I think wittle Bernie got his feeling hurt by reading too many of those articles on the psychological traits of conspiracy theorists.

I love the title, for it could imply neutrality (non), or failure to participate in the general topic of anything CT.

Then he goes on to attempt to define a term by giving what he considers to be examples of this particular behavior. That is not a proper way to define any term used in rational public dialogue, but life is not always proper.

Nonetheless, the points he makes about humanity's innate tendency to plan and conspire are right on. An excellent analysis.

Words promoted to be "bad" become just like bogey men in the human imagination, and that's what they've done with 'conspiracy'. Bush invoked it at the UN about 2 months after the events at WTC. It sets the tone for how the masses shall think. Their perceptions are manipulated.

Edited by Babe Ruth
  • Like 2

"Non-conspiracy theorist says: “No, you are wrong because you are a conspiracy theorist.”"

Straw man argument. Nobody actually says this.

Nobody "actually says" many things they are alleged to have said once upon a time. I agree it's poor argument, but like so many things in life, it cuts both ways. :innocent:

Is there actually any Psychology at all to Conspiracy people ? They seem so lonely,so out of touch with the real world, So Needey ! Needy to have anyone believe there point of view. Unlike The poeple that Know everything. Thats 99.999 % of the U/M crowd it seems We Do Know everything right?

Who `s reading this? It wannt me ! I see nothing,I say nothing,Afterall I could just be the NSA. Do you know whom you are really? :no:

• Like 1

"Conspiracy theorist says: “You are claiming that fire alone can cause a building to self-implode, descend at freefall speed into its own footprint? That’s physically impossible, what about Newton’s Laws and laws of thermal dynamics and such? “

If that's what the CT and the Non-CT says, their train of thought and logic is a wreck. This premise is purely hypothetical. Is this a philosophy or conspiracy forum?

Edited by Likely Guy

Actually that's a good example of the trouble with people who believe that their version of things (those who see the Truth) must be correct because it's so much more logical.

""Conspiracy theorist says: “You are claiming that fire alone can cause a building to self-implode, descend at freefall speed into its own footprint? That’s physically impossible, what about Newton’s Laws and laws of thermal dynamics and such? “

But the Non-Copsniracy Theorist's objection to that particular example is that what they believe actually happened is either never adequately explained, or is so much more contrived and complicated than the Non-Conspiracy Explanation that it must surely score lower on the scale of probability. It's not necessarily to do with people being dismissed as conpsirancy theorists just because they're cosprisnarcy theorists.

• Like 2

We all have a "reality checker" in our heads that flags to us whether what we are hearing is rational and credible or not. I just figure some people have this set in some strange place.

• Like 2

I thought it was like

Conspiracy theorist says "I watched some youtube videos, and some fat guy said the government is satanic and they're going to put us into FEMA camps and kill us."

Non-conspiracy theorist says "You're an idiot"

• Like 4

Anyone who uses Newton's Laws and 9/11 in the same sentence is obviously trolling. I especially liked the bit where the author had no idea how to spell thermodynamics.

Trolling score 2/10.

• Like 1

Perhaps people dismiss certain things conspiracy theorists say because some conspiracy theorists just throw a bunch of random laws of physics together (sometimes spelled improperly) and, without justification, simply claim they had been violated.

• Like 1

I have been debating against the none conspiracy theorist for many years and I think I have a good understanding of the psychological reasoning that most none conspiracy theorist use. What I have noticed is that when you debate most non conspiracy theorists, is that you often end up arguing their personal beliefs and not actually arguing the conspiracy or the evidence.

Personal beliefs are the mental acceptance and judgement that something exists or is true, arriving at a conclusion about a proposition which is often based without any evidence or knowledge, this where faith comes in. Faith is very problematic because if a person really believes in something without evidence, they have already formulated a belief about a subject. If a person believes something is true using faith, then their belief is removed from facts and reality because it is not dependent on reality or evidence.

The problem is that most none conspiracy theorist do not understand the difference between possibilities and their personal beliefs. I have tried to explain that I can't argue with their personal beliefs, but this usually falls on deaf ears and rather than arguing about what is possible and what isn't, we end up reverting back to their personal beliefs.

The problem is the faith in their personal belief is held with an almost religious zest that nothing can make them change their positions. Even when there is evidence which contradicts what they believe, they will often find a reason to ignore, deny or lie about evidence because it doesn't fit in with what they personally believe. It has to be rejected because their faith in the personal belief can't be challenged.

Another thing I have noticed with none conspiracy theorists, is they suffer from a fear of conspiracies theories in general. They will even take the risk of looking a little silly in order to reject evidence pointing towards a conspiracy theory for fear of it being possibly true. Sometimes the response is something along the lines of "So what?"...Or... "Nobody cares?" which isn't true because if they didn't care, they wouldn't be here.

What I find puzzling is that although they do not believe in conspiracy theories, then why are they here asking people about them?? Although I am atheist, I do not argue or debate with Christians, Catholics, Muslims or anyone else about religion. Why not I hear you ask??

Because I am very comfortable with my personal beliefs in my atheism that I do not need to communicate with religious people to strengthen the support in my belief and arguments against religion. I would only communicate with them if my faith in my atheism was not 100% or I had doubts about it. I think deep down, that is the problem with those none conspiracy theorists who frequent forums like this.

If I had the same levels of faith in the official story, I wouldn't be concern about conspiracy theorist forums and there deluded claims because I would have an unshakable faith, that I do not need to question their theories.

However, what I do notice is that the none conspiracy theorists become even more irrational when there faith is challenged, this to me confirms that they doubts about the official story, otherwise they wouldn't be here would they. Surely they have better things to do than question some truther about the a theory which they think is BS.

Usually when people mock, belittle or laugh at other people, it is usually because of their own insecurities. I find that this is the same with the none conspiracy theorists who frequent forums like this. They usually refer to the madness of conspiracy theories and how strange they are, but as I have said, I do not believe in UFO theories and even though they are in the same forum, I never post and barely read those threads because I am perfectly comfortable and safe with my knowledge on the subject, that I do not feel the need to confirm my own bias or belittle the other.

That's my 2 pence worth......lol

Huck Finn put it best: "Faith is when you believe in something you know ain't true". :tu:

• Like 2

I thought it was like

Conspiracy theorist says "I watched some youtube videos, and some fat guy said the government is satanic and they're going to put us into FEMA camps and kill us."

Non-conspiracy theorist says "You're an idiot"

I think you forgot to mention that it is some guy that just celebrated his second decade living in his parent's basement.

• Like 1

Huck Finn put it best: "Faith is when you believe in something you know ain't true". :tu:

That would be blind faith, my friend.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen". ~ Hebrews 11:1

• Like 1