Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

If We Landed on Europa

europa voyager galileo nasa

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    RockShaman

RockShaman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• If for no other reason, Space exists to fire our imaginations and act as a visible dream

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 10 August 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Its always worth the Shot - n - the Dark ! Afterall One never knows what may be under that Ice? I say we could go for it ! Maybe we can tow it back to earth and melt it for drinking water and water our dry lawns? :tu:

If there is intelligent life out there, Donteatus, I have NEVER wondered why it stays AWAY *heavy sigh*.  Thumbs down for towing :cry: lol. I just like to look and imagine a la Ray Bradbury.

Edit to add: Waspie, can I steal this and use it when I figure out how to add sigs at the end of my posts "reality does not care one iota what we believe, it just is what it is."  ?

Edited by RockShaman, 10 August 2013 - 08:58 PM.

"Reality does not care one iota what we believe, it just is what it is."   - Waspie Dwarf

#17    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postseeder, on 10 August 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

and I'll be 64..groan...Still, theres many a great tune tune played on an old fiddle, eh? :lol:

Hey, if I'm young at 60 then you'll be young at 64, eh?
LOL

Waspie: I'm not a scientist, not by far, just speculating here....wishful thinking really and you never know, I might have just made a lucky guess!
:tu:

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#18    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Don't forget most Scientists believe where there is ice, there is life, so being optimistic, thats what I expect to find in the water on Europa. Life of some type.

#19    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

It's worth the shot. But 2030, ill be 41. That's depressing :/

#20    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostSpacenut56, on 10 August 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Don't forget most Scientists believe where there is ice, there is life, so being optimistic, thats what I expect to find in the water on Europa. Life of some type.

Generally where there is water, there is life: on earth. However it may be we are unique in the solar system, the galaxy, the universe. Essentially evidence to the contrary is based on statistics and the hope that if conditions are similar to earth, there should be life. But the fact is we do not know.

If life exists on Europa and it has the same chemical building blocks as earth life, then we still do not know if life exist outside our solar system, because there would be the remote possibility that this life was somehow seeded from the earth to Europa, say by meteor impact.

If the chemistry is completely alien to life as we know it, then I would say the possibility of life outside our system is more likely, but again it unlikely it will be provable in our lifetime.

#21    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,736 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:16 AM

Are they absolutely sure that the surface is frozen water ?,and not a concoction of harmfull chemicals.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#22    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 10 August 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

It's worth the shot. But 2030, ill be 41. That's depressing :/

LOL I used to think like that, now I'm 43 and I still feel young....maybe that's why I look a lot younger....it's the attitude, Bavarian Raven, it's how you feel...believe you me.
:yes:

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#23    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostSundew, on 11 August 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

Generally where there is water, there is life: on earth. However it may be we are unique in the solar system, the galaxy, the universe. Essentially evidence to the contrary is based on statistics and the hope that if conditions are similar to earth, there should be life. But the fact is we do not know.

If life exists on Europa and it has the same chemical building blocks as earth life, then we still do not know if life exist outside our solar system, because there would be the remote possibility that this life was somehow seeded from the earth to Europa, say by meteor impact.

If the chemistry is completely alien to life as we know it, then I would say the possibility of life outside our system is more likely, but again it unlikely it will be provable in our lifetime.

If they are sending a rover by 2030 then I have hopes we'll find out whilst still alive.

Scientists believe the ice core to be made of hydrogen and oxygen, just like ours,H2O.
The oxygen reacts with the radiation from Jupiter and they believe this reaction is the key to life on Europa.
http://articles.time...pa-rocky-mantle

#24    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,736 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Ok,but they will need thermal wellies.

#25    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 11 August 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Ok,but they will need thermal wellies.

LOL! They will need more than that...the day we start getting pics from Europa I'll be glued to the telly!!!....or whatever we'll watch our programmes on in 20 years time...lol

#26    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,216 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

It Will be a Grand Day that day we see the surface of Europa ! Im All in for this ! Maybe by then they will have the Live forever pill developed ? :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#27    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,357 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostSundew, on 11 August 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

There is a hypothesis, called pseudo-panspermia (or soft panspermia) that says that the building blocks for life, the amino acids, were carried to Earth on comets and asteroids early in Earth's history. There is a growing body of evidence that suggests complex organic molecules exist on such bodies.

If pseudo-panspermia is correct then most rock worlds in the solar system should at least have the b=necessary building blocks for life. Moreover, because astronomers believe that solar systems generally form the same way then comets and asteroids should be common in other solar systems. The chemistry that formed these organics is likely to occur in other solar systems. If the building blocks for lie are common then simple life should be common too.

There is a hypothesis that goes one step further, the original panspermia hypothesis itself. This suggests that not only were the building blocks of life created on asteroids and comets but life itself started there. If this is the case then wherever the conditions are right in the solar system then we should find life. Again, because the same processes are occurring in other solar systems, if panspermia is correct then life should be common throughout the galaxy.

Of course panspermia and similar ideas are only hypotheses, they may be incorrect. If that is the case and life occurred independently on Earth and one or more other worlds such as Mars or Europa (Ganymede, Titan and Triton can not be discounted either) then this would also lend weight to the idea that life is common place. If it occurred more than once in our solar system it would seem more likely that it is common place through out the galaxy.

The final option is that we don't find any signs of life elsewhere in our solar system. If that is the case then it doesn't really prove much. it could be that life is rare and the Earth is an exceptional world, it could be the life is extremely common and the solar system is unusual because life occurred only once here or it could be that the solar system is totally normal and one planet with life is the galactic average.

It is because there are so many questions unanswered in one of the most fundamental questions in science, "are we alone?" that we must continue to explore not only Mars and Europa but asteroids, comets and other planets and satellites.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#28    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,357 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 11 August 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

It Will be a Grand Day that day we see the surface of Europa !
The surface of Europa will be interesting, but it's what is underneath the surface that really holds all the secrets.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#29    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 11 August 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

The final option is that we don't find any signs of life elsewhere in our solar system. If that is the case then it doesn't really prove much. it could be that life is rare and the Earth is an exceptional world, it could be the life is extremely common and the solar system is unusual because life occurred only once here or it could be that the solar system is totally normal and one planet with life is the galactic average.

It is because there are so many questions unanswered in one of the most fundamental questions in science, "are we alone?" that we must continue to explore not only Mars and Europa but asteroids, comets and other planets and satellites.

Nasa said the Milky Way Galaxy may be home to approximately hundred billion sun like stars and maybe 2 billion Earth analogue planets....I strongly believe at least one of them could have the signals for life (O2 and H2O).

We may not find the 'aliens' we are looking for, but we might find another Earth...and the way things are going here, I think we need to find it.

#30    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,736 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostAggie, on 12 August 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

Nasa said the Milky Way Galaxy may be home to approximately hundred billion sun like stars and maybe 2 billion Earth analogue planets....I strongly believe at least one of them could have the signals for life (O2 and H2O).

We may not find the 'aliens' we are looking for, but we might find another Earth...and the way things are going here, I think we need to find it.
  What do we do if we find it and it takes 5000 years to get there.

Also tagged with europa, voyager, galileo, nasa

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users