Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Term 'Illegal Immigrant' dropped by press

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46    F3SS

F3SS

Alien Abducter

• 5,430 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 06 April 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

New voter ID laws seem sensible. That sounds like an open invitation for voter fraud.
Absolutely.
The argument: can't attach a cost to the right to vote and an ID can cost a walloping $30 every four years
The solution: IDs in states that enact voter ID laws have made acquiring one free if necessary

The argument: driving to the DMV to acquire an ID will cost gas or bus fare
The solution: you can do the whole process by mail

The argument: postage has a cost, it's not fair
The solution: I'll bet the return envelopes have prepaid postage marks on them

The argument: the sick and bed ridden can't even do mail
The solution: any service needed will be provided to make this happen

The argument: it's racist and suppressing
Counter argument: really? Only people of color are poor and incapable of acquiring something simple like an ID? That sounds racist to me. An ID is required for every government benefit they apply for and get. They need one to cash the government check. They need one to buy liquor and cigarettes. An ID is just part of modern life no matter what you're situation. Yet to cast a vote is an extremely important country direction depending decision and to hell with proving who you are? Wow!
The argument: you hate black people and women and don't want them to vote. You're racist!
Counter argument: The only racism I see is in that you don't think these people have the slightest ability to obtain such a simple thing. You must think they're all lazy and stupid. Every effort and solution is available to make the process of obtaining an ID effortless and free if needed. So the argument is null.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 06 April 2013 - 02:35 PM.

Posted Image

#47    F3SS

F3SS

Alien Abducter

• 5,430 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Yet costly background checks and gun insurance are completely reasonable costs for that constitutional right.

Posted Image

#48    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 06 April 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

New voter ID laws seem sensible. That sounds like an open invitation for voter fraud.

They will use very common names from their region, like John Smith is common here, so if there is any discrepancy it can easily be explained. A bunch of them will actually live in the same house so the household bills will often be in various names. If they aren't on the list of the regular neighborhood voters they are just written in.

#49    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,790 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 06 April 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

But how can people who are not registered citizens participate in an election?

they can't. It's another ridiculous Republican talking point.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#50    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

View Postninjadude, on 06 April 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

they can't. It's another ridiculous Republican talking point.

Could you tell me how they weed through and eliminate every individual voter who isn't required to show any kind of ID? It's common knowledge many people get their utility bills turned on under false pretenses. When this is the only form of ID that is required how can you say it doesn't exist?

I saw the pitfalls of this long before it became an agenda by Republicans. When I voted for the first time, many moons ago, I couldn't believe they didn't ask for ID. I had to show my ID to even buy beer and yet I could walk right in there an vote without having to prove I was who I said I was. They didn't even know if I was eighteen.

There is no way everyone could be individually checked by the end of election day when the winner is announced. That is to assume our votes have any merit at all.

#51    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,790 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostMichelle, on 07 April 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Could you tell me how they weed through and eliminate every individual voter who isn't required to show any kind of ID? It's common knowledge many people get their utility bills turned on under false pretenses. When this is the only form of ID that is required how can you say it doesn't exist?

First, the local election commisions do this very job. That's part of the reason why elections are not final for almost a month or more later.

Second, there has been no documented case of voter fraud. So the "common knowledge" you espouse is nothing more than an old wives tale.

Third, there is a huge difference between voter REGISTRATION fraud and voter fraud. There is lot's of registration fraud and the local election commissioners ferret that out. It's an important job.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#52    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

View Postninjadude, on 08 April 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Second, there has been no documented case of voter fraud. So the "common knowledge" you espouse is nothing more than an old wives tale.

So, the cases I personally know of, and the people who actually brag about getting away with such things, are just in my imagination? If you are not in touch with such people it can only lead me to believe you have lead a very sheltered life.

#53    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostMichelle, on 08 April 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

So, the cases I personally know of, and the people who actually brag about getting away with such things, are just in my imagination? If you are not in touch with such people it can only lead me to believe you have lead a very sheltered life.

I have never known anyone to personally commit voter fraud.  There were some people arrested for registration fraud in my state, so they did not get away with it.

#54    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostFurthurBB, on 08 April 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

I have never known anyone to personally commit voter fraud.  There were some people arrested for registration fraud in my state, so they did not get away with it.

It's amazing what you hear when people don't think you are paying attention or don't think you are close enough to actually hear what they are saying. Some people just think we're cool and wouldn't care. We have a business in a bad area of town and a lot of people in the neighborhood are our customers.

People actually sue others for money owed from an illegal transaction, such as insurance fraud, freely admitting their crime to the court. How smart is that?

#55    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postninjadude, on 08 April 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

If there have been no documented cases of voter fraud someone isn't doing their job.

#56    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,790 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostMichelle, on 08 April 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

So, the cases I personally know of, and the people who actually brag about getting away with such things, are just in my imagination?

braggerts are not a verified case of voter fraud. They are braggerts.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#57    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

View Postninjadude, on 08 April 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

braggerts are not a verified case of voter fraud. They are braggerts.

Yeah...like when they brag they stole something and then bring it to you to see if you want to buy it. :rolleyes:

You do know the police catch people all of the time because the idiots couldn't keep their mouths shut?

Edited by Michelle, 08 April 2013 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users