Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

History Debate!

god king prince royal

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

i say alexandre the great, for his tactics

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,741 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

Genghis Khan no debate :tsu:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hannibal, for being the only one to cross the Alps into Rome with an army and for the Battle of Cannae.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:52 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 26 June 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Genghis Khan no debate :tsu:
do explain? there were many just as great as he was

View PostOdin11, on 26 June 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

Hannibal, for being the only one to cross the Alps into Rome with an army and for the Battle of Cannae.
good one! alex for the taking of babylon for the cake!

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#5    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,741 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

View Postkannin, on 26 June 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

do explain? there were many just as great as he was

good one! alex for the taking of babylon for the cake!

Simply because he took over the most land and in the quickest amount of time in all of history! and unlike alexander and most conquers khan is a true rags to riches story. He was part of one of the lowest tribes, and he got exiled. Then slowly took over and united.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#6    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

IGNORANCE--causing stupid decisions, idiotic wars, bad elections, uncontrolled disease. numbed brains and a placid, credulous populace. Let's hear it for ignorance, conquering nations from the inside out since the Day of Creation.  Selah.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#7    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 26 June 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

Simply because he took over the most land and in the quickest amount of time in all of history! and unlike alexander and most conquers khan is a true rags to riches story. He was part of one of the lowest tribes, and he got exiled. Then slowly took over and united.
yeah but you cant always use the sob story the "robin hood effect" there were lots of figures like that, in my personal opinion it doesnt give them anything different over the others, look at napolean short man with a gimp arm

View Postszentgyorgy, on 26 June 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

IGNORANCE--causing stupid decisions, idiotic wars, bad elections, uncontrolled disease. numbed brains and a placid, credulous populace. Let's hear it for ignorance, conquering nations from the inside out since the Day of Creation.  Selah.
jeez dude you okay?

#8    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,741 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

View Postkannin, on 26 June 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

yeah but you cant always use the sob story the "robin hood effect" there were lots of figures like that, in my personal opinion it doesnt give them anything different over the others, look at napolean short man with a gimp arm

Well if taking over the most land in the quickest time and rags to richest dosent work for you then i guess i can add more lol. He is the reason for a vast spread of knowledge because of his control of Asia and middel east he controled the silk road making it stable spreading everything across the world. He allowed freedom of religon in his empire which is almost unheard of at that time.
vastly threatened the roman empire.

Not to mention getting all the tribes of mongol to somehow work together and all the kingdoms he conquered is very immpresive.

Edited by spartan max2, 26 June 2013 - 01:06 AM.

Criss Jami

#9    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,741 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 26 June 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

I think Fear could be partners with ignorance :tu:

Criss Jami

#10    Zargoza

Zargoza

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• groovin...on a Sunday afternoon.....

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

Yellow Fever.  It conquered the French in Haiti and prevented napoleon from establishing a New World Empire.

Yellow Fever.  It conquered the French in Haiti and prevented napoleon from establishing a New World Empire.

Don't you understand, this is Greek to me! Except I read Greek. This is Aramaic to me! Not the western dialect, I do speak that.

#11    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:45 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 26 June 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

vastly threatened the roman empire.

So, tell me. How did someone in the 12th and 13th Century threaten an empire that ended in the 5th Century? (Or did you mean the Byzantine or Holy Roman Empire, which were different polities?)

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,741 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 26 June 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

So, tell me. How did someone in the 12th and 13th Century threaten an empire that ended in the 5th Century? (Or did you mean the Byzantine or Holy Roman Empire, which were different polities?)

--Jaylemurph

Smart ass.... But fair point :tu: lol

Criss Jami

#13    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,639 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

View Postkannin, on 26 June 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

jeez dude you okay?

Never better, Kannin!

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#14    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• 1,765 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

Alex the great conquerd much of the known world at the time spreading greek philosophy far into distant empires also built many beautiful greek out posts.

In my opinion the greek army of tgat time would merc the mongols

#15    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,505 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 26 June 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

--Jaylemurph

Attila the Hun better fit that time in history, but he is not my first choice. Spartan's timeline might be off, but his choice is good. Genghis Khan could have conquered both Asia and Europe had it not been for intervening fate. The Golden Horde was unstoppable. Their tactics and weapons were unmatched by the best military of the era. They conquered millions of people in a wide swath of countries. They were stopped by bodies of water, which was why Japan wasn't conquered, but they likely had captured experts who could have solved that problem. They used their prisoners for their benefit, some of whom were the best engineers at the time. The French and the Germans might have spoken Mongolian if Genghis Khan marched across western Europe. They would have faced a force with no real opposition that used the best military technology of the day. It was partly comprised of captured eastern Europeans, the ones that weren't killed, murdered, enslaved, etc.. The British Isles would have been Europe's last hope.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users