Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Are humans getting less intelligent?

humans dumber intelligence

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#91    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostXetan, on 18 November 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

I'm not excusing anyone.

No?

Oh? You don't think TV "dumb's" people down?

My response

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 16 November 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

You're attempt to blame an object  for dumbing people down  is weak and a cop out..  
Bottom line - You cannot blame mere objects and tools  for anyone failing...

You reply with...

View PostXetan, on 16 November 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Actually, I can. The television, with its flashing colors and loud noises, is immediately attractive to our brains. It has all the necessary stimuli to completely rip human attentions right out of reality and convince them to sit there, staring, for hours, with drool hanging from their lip. It is designed to do just that.

Seems to me, you like to blame the object for their failings and not themselves   That logic alone is a dumb excuse. The people who sit for endless hours watching, have themselves to blame, it's a matter of sheer laziness  

There is nothing more to say here, it's going in circles . I no longer hold an interest in anything more you have to add.

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 18 November 2012 - 01:36 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#92    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'd like to add that I never had interest in anything you ever had to say ^_^

Posted Image

#93    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostXetan, on 18 November 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

I'd like to add that I never had interest in anything you ever had to say ^_^

I will be loosing lots of sleep over that

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 18 November 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#94    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Damn it...I was gonna say something along the lines of "ppl aren't getting less smart, yadayada".
But then i read the comments Xetan made and now im forced to review my point..and I think the researchers should add "Ppl are less intelligent and more douchebaggy to cover up their dumbness."

Anyway, I don't think humanity in general is dumbing down, but I do think many are less challenged. Which can lead to a path where you force yourself, perhaps unconciously, to dumb down to cope with existing. Dead end jobs aren't really helpful for example.

#95    Mikami

Mikami

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Jesus Christ! what happened here?.

#96    Mikami

Mikami

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 77 posts

• DELETE, DELETE, DELETE!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Also.. I do agree with Render both of his points

#97    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,574 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I believe people's intelligence levels are becoming more divided. The drooling ignoramuses are getting dumber as they let technology replace thought, memory and critical thinking. On the other end of the spectrum, people find ways to use technology to further intellectual pursuits and share them across communities.

One problem I see in teenagers (admittedly in a small local and online sampling) is a lack of understanding "how" things work or come to be. They can find an answer to anything on Google quickly, but don't understand why it is the answer.

In the general population, I see an overwhelming lack of curiosity or interest in figuring things out without being told how to do it (from TV, media, internet, their friends, etc.)

Edited by Purplos, 19 November 2012 - 07:56 PM.

Embrace the impossible.

#98    majin nemesis

majin nemesis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

well, there seems to be more idiots nowadays then there was before so we probably are getting less intelligent

Edited by majin nemesis, 20 November 2012 - 02:38 AM.

#99    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Could be,Has anyone seen who we elected to office?Those people could be less intelligent Heck were all being dumb down by the government,Education in this country is a joke.we used to be number one then we went down hill fast,But if you look at Mexico ,,now there is a country that does not care about it's own people but they are not that far behind us,They might have already past us. in Education. It's like we don't care what we teach our youthmThe youth today is full of disrespect and like Taun said we have lost our goals/focus on what we need to.

#100    jroper

jroper

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

we are all programmed anyway i dont watch tv theres to much bull**** on it and with all the **** in our foods drinks we probably are going dumber but who knows eh

#101    jroper

jroper

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

also with the new phones these days they more or less write the whole message out for you thats stopping us from thinking and learning

#102    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,048 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Posted Image

"Shaddup! You is tawkin' rubbish, innit!"

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#103    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 12 November 2012 - 11:43 PM, said:

I wouldnt bother going to Stanford if thats all they can come up with,total rubbish again.You have to be more and more intelligent to survive in this modern day era.

Absolutely not! You only have to intelligent enough to find your way to the welfare office. And a Neanderthal could manage that.
Fact is that in modern societies, the less intelligent reproduce more than the intelligent. And reproduction is the the future. Ironically that means that genetically, the most advanced societies are moving backward.

I think maybe you mistake "material success" with "evolutionary success". But those two are completely different. The rich executive with two spoilt kids might be wealthy today, but the slum dweller with 20 kids paid for by social security is the one who is evolutionary successful.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#104    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,827 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 23 November 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Absolutely not! You only have to intelligent enough to find your way to the welfare office. And a Neanderthal could manage that.
Fact is that in modern societies, the less intelligent reproduce more than the intelligent. And reproduction is the the future. Ironically that means that genetically, the most advanced societies are moving backward.

I think maybe you mistake "material success" with "evolutionary success". But those two are completely different. The rich executive with two spoilt kids might be wealthy today, but the slum dweller with 20 kids paid for by social security is the one who is evolutionary successful.
  Kids of today are not taught properly,for example,they are allowed to go into Maths exams with a CALCULATOR,why cant they use their brains and work out problems without aids like this,any noddy head can press the buttons to get an answer.I asked a new starter at work to work out how many cubic feet were in a cargo 24ft long, 11ft high,6ft wide, he asked me if he could borrow a calculator,so I gave him a pen and pencil,and said "you already have one sitting on top of your neck". He couldnt work it out, then he accused me of harrassment.He lasted almost 5 days then packed the job in and became a Truck driver. I gave him a good reference because I felt sorry for him.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#105    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,614 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

View Postspud the mackem, on 23 November 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Kids of today are not taught properly,for example,they are allowed to go into Maths exams with a CALCULATOR,why cant they use their brains and work out problems without aids like this,any noddy head can press the buttons to get an answer.I asked a new starter at work to work out how many cubic feet were in a cargo 24ft long, 11ft high,6ft wide, he asked me if he could borrow a calculator,so I gave him a pen and pencil,and said "you already have one sitting on top of your neck". He couldnt work it out, then he accused me of harrassment.He lasted almost 5 days then packed the job in and became a Truck driver. I gave him a good reference because I felt sorry for him.

All that has nothing to do with the topic, which is intelligence. The fact is, modern advanced societies have turned human evolution on its head, so if this continues humans will get less in intelligent, and not more intelligent over the course of many generations. What an individual learns at school at any moment is irrelevant to that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

Also tagged with humans, dumber, intelligence

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users