Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Classic and campy television programs we love

Bionic Bigfoot

I'm not sure whether this subject has been posted before or not and since I'm a new member to UM.

A few of the members welcomed me with open arms and mentioned they liked my avatar and nickname. Well, if any of those members wants a trip down memory lane and if you were born circa 1978, you probably watched and remember the 6 Million Dollar Man.

This science fiction program and its spin off - the Bionic Woman, were what got me initially intrigued by unexplained mysteries. I was aware that bigfoot/sasquatch was an actual creature of myth, legend and folklore in pop culture at that time too and read as many books on the subject as I could. Considering it was the 70's, Kenneth Johnson actually created a fairly good representation of Sasquatch AND of course with the late, great Andre the giant playing the part originally. The costume was pretty decent for the time period and combined with those white eyes and the bionic sounds, that TV beast was quite intimidating to younger viewers. ;)

This was Steve Austin's first encounter with the bionic Sasquatch:

And this was Jaime Sommer's first battle with bionic bigfoot:

[media=]

I believe it does show us that children can be affected by what they watch growing up. That combined with the fact I had liberal, free thinking parents who gave me permission to explore the unknown and find an interest in those subjects. I also believe that childhood experiences can form the foundation of who and what we become later on in life. Not everyone gets a chance to live their childhood years so carefree, full of imagination and wonderment I suppose.

Anyway, what were your favourite TV programs then or now and how do you think they affected you? Did they shape the person you've become or were they only a distraction at that time.

Edited by Bionic Bigfoot
  • Like 4

Maybe, but I think it was the special programming in the summer featuring cryptozoology and the paranormal that that drove the scripts of science fiction.

I was a child of Star Trek. (The original! Not all those crappy spin-offs!!!)

/it's okay, i'm better now.

Edit: Capt. Kirk battling the Gorn (Lizard Guy in a leopard print tunic), now that was classy campy TV!

/hmmm... Lizard Guy? (name change might be in order)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

"In Search of..." Leonard Nimoy 1976-1982. Loved that show.

The Patterson Gimlin image of bigfoot was branded into my brain as a kid (didn't they show it at the start of each episode, or was that another show?) And it still remains there today.

Though campy now rather than serious mystery monster.

But it kept her in my mind as well as "Legend of Boggy Creek" which totally freaked my out as a kid. Now, that bit of film too, is just campy fun!

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

I was a child of Star Trek. (The original! Not all those crappy spin-offs!!!)

/it's okay, i'm better now.

Edit: Capt. Kirk battling the Gorn (Lizard Guy in a leopard print tunic), now that was classy campy TV!

/hmmm... Lizard Guy? (name change might be in order)

EPIC

:tu:

• Like 3

I'm not sure whether this subject has been posted before or not and since I'm a new member to UM.

A few of the members welcomed me with open arms and mentioned they liked my avatar and nickname. Well, if any of those members wants a trip down memory lane and if you were born circa 1978, you probably watched and remember the 6 Million Dollar Man.

This science fiction program and its spin off - the Bionic Woman, were what got me initially intrigued by unexplained mysteries. I was aware that bigfoot/sasquatch was an actual creature of myth, legend and folklore in pop culture at that time too and read as many books on the subject as I could. Considering it was the 70's, Kenneth Johnson actually created a fairly good representation of Sasquatch AND of course with the late, great Andre the giant playing the part originally. The costume was pretty decent for the time period and combined with those white eyes and the bionic sounds, that TV beast was quite intimidating to younger viewers. ;)

A walk down memory lane indeed. Classic shows and I loved every second of them when I was growing up. I couldn't get enough of this stuff. :tu:

Who could forget the biff, bam, pows on Batman? :D

• Like 4

Kung Fu was a masterpiece! One of my all time favorites. There's just something awesome about a shoalin renegade wandering the wild west kicking gunslinger butt while evading his pursuers from the east. Pure awesomness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOV_CulhC7c

Edited by Biff Wellington
  • Like 1

Kung Fu was a masterpiece! One of my all time favorites. There's just something awesome about a shoalin renegade wandering the wild west kicking gunslinger butt while evading his pursuers from the east. Pure awesomness!

Oh yeah, another fantastic classic! :D

I had that rice paper walk down SOLID. :P

Another great one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINijYepahA

So freaking bad... so freaking good... :lol:

• Like 1

Buck Rogers is great! So was Flash Gordon & of course The Twilight Zone & the original Outer Limits.

• Like 1

Who could forget the biff, bam, pows on Batman? :D

My daughter watches that today. As I hear it in the background I can't think of any other show ever like it. The cadence of their voices. The bad acting and overacting which fit the show perfectly! And the drawn in SpecialFX, Etc.

It was pop comic come alive. Quite genius (for what it was meant to be) in my book. And such a kid favorite (my generation).

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

My daughter watches that today. As I hear it in the background I can't think of any other show ever like it. The cadence of their voices. The bad acting and overacting which fit the show perfectly! Etc.

It was pop comic come alive. Quite genius (for what it was meant to be) in my book. And such a kid favorite (my generation).

If I could... only... reach... my... utility.. belt...

:lol:

I loved all these shows when I was growing up! :D

• Like 3

Rod Serling's Night Gallery. Not a series, but in one way or another, it helped form me. ...on second thought, damn you Rod Serling!

Any of you old enough to remember Project Blue Book (1978 -79)?

"Ezekiel saw the wheel. This is the wheel he said he saw. These are

unidentified flying objects that people say they are seeing now. Are they proof ..."

• Like 1

If I could... only... reach... my... utility.. belt...

:lol:

I loved all these shows when I was growing up! :D

I only realized, at this moment, how much he sounded like Captain Kirk with the dramatic pauses. :w00t:

• Like 2

I only realized, at this moment, how much he sounded like Captain Kirk with the dramatic pauses. :w00t:

Adam West was amazing in that series, no question about it. I wonder if he was part of Shatner's inspiration too. LOL

• Like 1

Sorry, I did say 'Project Blue Book'. That was the reality show.

I meant to refer to 'Project UFO' (1978-79).

And yes, I was old enough at the time to witness first hand the original "documentary" Chariots of the Gods (and read the book). Times have changed, no?

Here's another one of my personal favourites and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned yet, The Incredible Hulk and another excellent Kenneth Johnson TV adaptation.

Oh yes, so many wonderful but classic faves from the past. ;) Nearly all the shows you guys have posted, I thoroughly enjoyed as well. Great TV back in the old days!

And, who could possibly forget this sexy super hero clad in satin tights, fighting Nazis and gargantuan gorillas with legs to die for and a sweet, pure, almost child-like innocence. Only the 1960's batman and the 1970's Wonder Woman epitomized 'camp' so well. ;)

And, who could possibly forget this sexy super hero clad in satin tights, fighting Nazis and gargantuan gorillas with legs to die for and a sweet, pure, almost child-like innocence. Only the 1960's batman and the 1970's Wonder Woman epitomized 'camp' so well. ;)

[media=]

[/media]

In your satin tights

Fighting for our rights

And the old red, white and blue-hooo

My favorite show when I was little was The Greatest American Hero. It was campy, and funny, and I can still remember and sing the theme song. It was just a very fun show!

The show with the campiest episode ever... Lost In Space - The episode called "Vegetable Rebellion"...

(The only clips i could find of this episode... One of the best worst episodes ever made)...

Thank heavens Star Trek came out later.... Otherwise THIS would have been THE sci-fi series.... :o

• Like 1

The Monkees was a stand alone for its time. It could easily be looked at as silly and campy, but as an adult I think of it more, at that time, as being free-spirited, modern, forward, hip, an early music video show... unlike any other show and it knew it and that was what it wanted to be... bucking the standard formulaic offerings

• Like 1

I recently saw a re-run of one the original Battlestar Galactica episodes, some parts are funnier than I remember.

Other shows that would be funny to see again are Logan's Run and Land Of The Giants