Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

why is homophobia commonplace?

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#211    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,562 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 06 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Yes and when you look at the decision to remove it from the list it wasnt based on the psychological discovery that it wasnt a mental illness. You actually find the decision was taken because human rights groups were demanding more rights for homosexuals. Even the vote to remove it was close too at 55% not that it matters.

I'm willing to accept that some people are not clear cut male or female at birth and some are turned gay by chemical exposure. For most of them though they have brain development issues caused by childhood trauma. Most notably the regions involving sexuality.

And yes 66% of homosexuals can be cured.

Please consider the facts:

http://www.dsm5.org/...es/Default.aspx

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the standard classification of mental disorders used by mental health professionals in the United States and contains a listing of diagnostic criteria for every psychiatric disorder recognized by the U.S. healthcare system. The current edition, DSM-IV-TR, is used by professionals in a wide array of contexts, including psychiatrists and other physicians, psychologists, social workers, nurses, occupational and rehabilitation therapists, and counselors, as well as by clinicians and researchers of many different orientations (e.g., biological, psychodynamic, cognitive, behavioral, interpersonal, family/systems). It is used in both clinical settings (inpatient, outpatient, partial hospital, consultation-liaison, clinic, private practice, and primary care) as well as with community populations. In addition to supplying detailed descriptions of diagnostic criteria, DSM is also a necessary tool for collecting and communicating accurate public health statistics about the diagnosis of psychiatric disorders.

I certainly find your opinion interesting(but it tells me only about you and what you think.) It doesn't  reflect the medical communities data on homosexuality.

Homosexuality is simply not a mental disorder any more(as of 1973). You can think it is if you choose too, but you must be sure to add that this is your opinion based on your own ignorance (the not being current on information kind.) For me, I do not think it is fair to our gay members to post as if your perspective is sound science. IMO, I am sure you meant no harm, and you do have a right to your perspective, and this is just a suggestion-- perhaps in the future it could be given with integrity and compassion for all others.  Thank you very much  for listening.

Edited by Sherapy, 06 March 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#212    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

View Postshadowhive, on 06 March 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, what lifestyle? There's no such thing as a gay lifestyle, anymore than there is a straight lifestyle.

I think we have to combat such belief systems that claim that it's incompatible and not just shrug and go 'ok then'. If a belief system said that advocated women or people of a certain skin colour were incompatible with the faith's teachings woould you be ok with that or would you want that belief to be challenged?

To be honest, I'm sick of people who use their religion as a shield to hide behind so they can treat others negatively.

To be honest, I'm sick of PC people who are brainwashed by anti-Christian propaganda. I will vigorously challenge them, and I couldn't care less what anybody thinks about that. I won't play the tired game where you try and fail to equate this issue to gender and race. The bottom line is that you think that people should change their cherished beliefs to suit what may *feel* good to you. You wrongly assume that they care if people lamely and weakly refer to them as "bigots". Well, your chants of "homophobia" are farts in the wind, and your pressure tactics don't work. We see through the campaign, and we take note of the blatant attempt at social engineering that it is. That's the real world.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#213    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostGodofcats, on 06 March 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

It's because homophobics are afraid they might be gay themselves. Like that one church group that protest everything and blames everything on gay people, they're the gayest people around probably.

Cite the research that proves this. This forum is big on demands for backing and proving claims, so I ask you to do the same. BTW, the Westboro cult is horrible, and it's a definite outlier. You can't fairly link those sick freaks to normal people who don't agree with gay sex.

#214    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

View Postshadowhive, on 06 March 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

The ones that think its wrong' largely do so because of religious indoctrination, which is hardly heathy and is largely due to fear.

I doubt that the thugs, who murdered Matthew Shepherd, were Bible students. I doubt that they even believed in God.

#215    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostOdin11, on 06 March 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I mean he's your god, not mine.
Even if your god showed up tomorrow and proved beyond a doubt that he was real, if he acted and thought like you say he does, I would acknowledge him but I still would not worship him. Because any being that thinks like you could not be a loving god, and is not worth worshiping.

So, you'll accept only a God who agrees with *your* "divine wisdom". Got it.

#216    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 07 March 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

So, you'll accept only a God who agrees with *your* "divine wisdom". Got it.

No, I said I would worship only a loving god.

Edited by Odin11, 07 March 2013 - 04:10 AM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#217    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

View PostOdin11, on 07 March 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

No, I said I would worship only a loving god.

A loving God can have rules for humanity. Good parents know what's best for their children.

#218    Detective Mystery 2015

Detective Mystery 2015

Poltergeist

• 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

I sounded strident in some of my posts. I was a bit too combative and confrontational. I was bothered by unfair labels. I was bothered by faulty comparisons. I never thought that the gay community was monolithic. It's made up of individuals with all that it brings with it. I have two gay cousins. They're creative and talented individuals who probably represent most of their peers. They, as well as other gay Americans, should have the right to handle their legal, health, private, etc. affairs as they see fit. The State should stay out of it in that gay couples should have the freedom to handle their own affairs as they wish. They're entitled to considerations and protections afforded to citizens by our government. That said, my annoyance was with the disingenuous use of "homophobia".

#219    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 06 March 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

That's a nice PC slogan, but it doesn't address my point. Some people reject the lifestyle because it's not compatible with their belief system, and that doesn't make them bigots (in the real world). That's not spin; that's just truth. It could be that attacking and insulting these religious individuals is its own form of bigotry.

And I have not attacked or insulted anyone. I have attacked bigoted ideas nothing else. To say that fighting intolerance is its own form of bigotry, is asinine, and is nothing but deflection.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#220    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 06 March 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

As a young child my instincts automatically told me those people arent normal. Thats without anybody trying to indocturnate me to a particular way of thinking. I say my disapproval of homosexuality was inherited.

Exactly, you didn't see them as "normal" because gay people are strongly urged to hide who they are. So of course, seeing less openly gay people made it "weird" when you finally did.

"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." - Luke 6:35

#221    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

If there is God, it seems to me He made gays as much as he made straights, and so we must assume He had His reasons.

On the other hand, if there is no God, then nature did the same thing.

#222    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

How a straight man deals with the presence of gay men in their environment is something straight men have to figure out.  At my age it isn't a problem, and when I was younger going to school in the States, gays were all very much in the closet and I didn't know they existed.

I suppose a good looking straight man occasionally gets propositioned, or maybe just little hints.  That sort of thing would disturb me.  It would make me worry that maybe there was something that gave them the idea I was gay, and I guess I would act strongly enough to eliminate any doubt.

I don't think that is the reality.  The reality is more likely the gay man is attracted and therefore "projects" his desires.  I did that a lot with women, convincing myself they were interested in me when it was just my imagination.  The problem with people caught up in this kind of projection fantasy is that they often don't take "no" as an answer, but persist, somehow persuading themselves that the "no" is just game playing, and the situation becomes a nuisance calling for some rudeness.  I have to imagine though that this happens very rarely: normally people have more sense.

#223    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 07 March 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

That said, my annoyance was with the disingenuous use of "homophobia".
"Disingenuous" is not the word I would choose, but I think I know what you mean.  A phobia implies a completely irrational, excessive fear, yet the way "homophobia" is used it implies a prejudiced hate of homosexuals.

Well I studied English for years and know that the English language is often like that -- it has meanings of words that are only loosely related to their roots.

The other problem with the word is that when the word is applied to us, and we don't feel we are prejudiced, then we resent it.  As an Asian I sometimes feel Americans, both white and black, are prejudiced.  Maybe the problem is me and my being overly sensitive, so I have trained myself to ignore things I think might be slights.  Besides, whether or not the perception is true doesn't matter: if they have a problem it's their problem, not mine.

I can see a gay person having the same reaction to someone who expresses, say, opposition to gay marriage.  They must be prejudiced against gays, when in fact there is no particular prejudice -- just a disagreement on this one specific issue.  Personally I see marriage as a religious ceremony that the state should get its nose out of completely, except to deal with contractual issues in divorce and the protection of children.  However, I can see a discomfort at calls for such a radical change in the culture.  I would hope most gays would too and therefore be more tolerant of people having to go through a process of getting comfortable with it.

#224    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 07 March 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

I suppose a good looking straight man occasionally gets propositioned, or maybe just little hints.  That sort of thing would disturb me.  It would make me worry that maybe there was something that gave them the idea I was gay, and I guess I would act strongly enough to eliminate any doubt.

What you said after this paragraph is true. The guy is probably just attracted to him and hope that he is gay since he likes him. There is nothing to "worry about". Besides you can't really know if a guy is gay just by looking at them. Sometimes, people will think a guy is gay just because he is feminine when that may not be true at all.

"Masculinity" and "femininity" are just social rules. If an average American guy go to South Korea for example, he may think every guy is gay there. lol People are just who they are. You can't know if a person is gay unless they are displaying attraction to someone of the same gender.

"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." - Luke 6:35

#225    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

If you tell a lie over and over eventually it will appear true.

Like everything it has it good and bad points the issue lies where the focus is.
But if you make the issue stick out like dog's nuts it's bound that some group somewhere will have an issue with it, inevitably another group will fall prey to slander and once a small majority kicks up a stink and twists the issue at their own will for their own devices more and more will follow. How do you think Kings and Queens were created and religions the only difference is that they promoted them as "good".

Everyone has their unique indifference that slides them to a catergory, most people just continue onwards and flip the indifference hatred the bird... isn't that life "One massive collated toddler making the puzzle pieces fit"?

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users