Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Planets named with Greek gods names?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    Wookie McFly

Wookie McFly

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:01 AM

do it to

What?

#32    The Greek

The Greek

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:05 AM

:

ΠΑΣ ΜΗ ΕΛΛΗΝ ΒΑΡΒΑΡΟΣ

#33    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,718 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:13 AM

tell me some etruscans gods.aristotelis speach had quality not quantity

I doubt you'll get what's being put out there... let's look at Mercury...

In his earliest forms, he appears to have been related to the Etruscan deity Turms, In Roman mythology, Mercury was a major god of trade, profit and commerce, the son of Maia Maiestas and Jupiter. but most of his characteristics and mythology were borrowed from the Greek deity Hermes...

#34    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:38 AM

The Greek, I understand that you are not to familier with english - seeing your earlier posts made this assumpsion, if I am wrong I apologise. but please stop copying and pasting things you find on the internet that you think may make you sound smart, copying and pasting and then claiming it is yours is seen as plagerism and is against forum rules. (I'm guessing you are copying and pasting, as your earlier posts were not well placed, and then further on you suddenly have a nice structured paragraph.)

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#35    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,879 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:58 AM

This thread has wandered far off topic.

Please keep posts on topic, remember this is the Space and Astronomy forum. If you want to discuss mythology (except where applicable to the original question) please do so in the appropriate forum.

Please refrain from making posts personal.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 24 August 2006 - 02:59 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#36    leadbelly

leadbelly

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

I do not know how this can be answered in detail, but I'll give you this.

The ancient peoples developed organized agriculture and primative religions to bolster their yield (plant by full moon, watch for solstice, etc.). They thought about the "wanderers", were the stars fixed to the vault of heaven, what was beneath the flat earth. They built on these ideas in every major culture East and West. They gave names of importance to these special objects.

(Aristotle decided in favor of, and then rejected the motion of the Earth. A century later, Aristarchus made his own study, and accepted the Earth circled the sun, but underestimated the distance to the stars, saying they were not far beyond the planets. The clout of the greeks held sway.)

As time proceeded, Egypt and the muslim world came and went, as did Greece, and then Rome, but Rome absorbed many greek gods. The fall of the Roman Empire gave way to the Dark Ages. What arose after that involved the humanism of the Renaissance, which actually began with tourism to ancient Greece. The Italians uncovered forgotten greek sources of classical knowledge. I think that helped kick off the Renaissance.

The gradual acceptance and improvement of scholarly pursuits, made Europe the center
of astronomy (optics, telescopes). Their naming of new stars, constellations, and later nebulas and galaxies went into the accepted maps, made by the accepted experts. During this time, a background "in greek and roman classics" was considered the norm for someone of learning.

There are odd names that people invented when mythological figures ran short- Microscopium... tongue.gif

But, as to the specific names of the planets, the gods surely were interested in those celestial bodies- they were "special". And who was to know different? Who wanted to take a chance? Religion did get crazy, at times, though... But, ancient astronomy goes hand in hand with survival, religion, and so forth.

As an aside, I remember this story-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4767717.stm

Edited by leadbelly, 25 August 2006 - 01:35 AM.

#37    blucat

blucat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• what the hell is going on??

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:17 AM

Actually, it seems that the Greeks were only one in a long line of God name changing.

Mythological Origin   - Sumerian - Babylonian - Phoenician - Greek  - Latin        - English
goddess of the earth - Ki           - Aruru         - Athirat       - Gaea   - Terra       - Earth
god of the moon      - Nanna      - Sin            - Yarikh        - Selenę - Luna        - Moon
god of knowledge    - Enki Ea     - Nabű         - Taaut         - Hermes- Mercurius - Mercury
goddess of love       - Inanna     - Ishtar        - Astarte       - Aphroditę - Venus  - Venus
god of the sun         - Utu          - Shamash   - Shamash     - Helios   - Sôl         - Sun
god of war              - Gugalanna - Nergal      - Resheph      - Ares     - Mars       - Mars
supreme god          -  Enlil          -  Marduk    - Hadad         -  Zeus    - Iuppiter  - Jupiter
god of harvests      - Ninurta       - Ninurta     - El               -  Kronos  - Saturnus - Saturn
god of heavens      - ??              - ??             - ??              - Ouranos - Uranus    - Uranus

So by 'The Greek's logic you can argue that they are all named after Sumerian Gods.

For what it's worth ..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users