Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top 5 games

Orcseeker

I thought I'd start a thread on what the members of UM considered their top 5 favourite games ever. I know this may be hard and if you like it doesn't have to be in any particular order of preference. 

1. Warcraft 3

There is nothing more than I love about a game is that you leave a lot of creativity up to the user. The amount of a whole new bunch of mini-games created through the map editor is astounding. The graphics have a certain style to them that makes them almost timeless. 

The campaigns are also great fun and provide a well illustrated story. Blizzard are very well known for making very detailed cinematics and deliver once again. Unfortunately World of Warcraft has destroyed the lore and even the possibility of another Warcraft RTS installment. The amount of hours I've spent over the many years I've played it for while it still retains a level of addictiveness, one that is only obtained through a great game with no exploitations of the user led me to put this as No. 1.

2. Team Fortress 2

I've outlined the plus' to this game in a thread or two but the amount of creativity this offers is also quite extensive. Users can create their own movies to submitting content that if chosen by the developers, can be included in the game. An in game trading system creates a whole new economy. 

As far as gameplay goes, on the cartoony and fun surface is actually a deep well thought and balanced class system with varying strategies. Most importantly is team work. A team unbalanced with certain classes can result in failure and requires a lot of coordination and organisation to put together a team that suits your situation. A game with frequently changing situations never delivers a dull moment and you'll rarely find yourself getting bored.

A pure fun FPS that doesn't require you to put your brain in a jar before playing receives a big plus from me.

3. Rome Total War

Heralded by many as one of the best in the series. Rome Total War is another one of those classics. With the sequel coming out later this year one who has played this would be on the edge of their seat right now in anticipation. Like all of the other games on the list, this game had its own style of graphics. Which is a very important feature in creating a great game. 

The large scale battles, economic, diplomacy, city management all coupled into a turn based/real time battles game. Whether you are raiding a city or attacking a scouting party. Devising a strategy to minimise your losses and using your troops in the most effective way possible is the main aim in the real time battles while being invigorating and exciting to watch.

On the turn base part of the game you try to maintain your civilisation and overthrow your enemies through espionage, religion, assassinations, bribery or through coordinating attacks with your armies. Your generals adopt traits and attributes as you play and it generates a personality for them. 

This in-depth, very fun and engaging game is definitely worth a shot. See if you can control Europe and northern Africa.

4. Age of Empires II

This game pretty much got me into gaming. It also got me pretty interested in history too, to the point that became a hobby. From those two alone, it became quite clear how special a game it really was. Like wc3, this game came with a great map editor which resulted in a lot of new and great game types being created by users. 

It hit the medieval feel to the game on the head, the music, art and the atmosphere fit the whole thing perfectly. The campaigns are also extensive and could in fact be a better replacement to most history lessons taught in schools today during that period. 

Regardless of how old and dated the game is, the great gameplay and unique style labels it unique and another timeless classic to the list.

5. Oblivion

I know a few UMers have greatly appreciated the Elder Scrolls Universe and what it delivers in each installment. The modding community being one of the biggest I've seen and brought forward great innovations and talent while extending the end game to the point you have had enough.

Your characters story, aside from the main quest, is up to you. The whole story and lore behind the game is definitely not a lazy point of the developers. The gameplay is always fun, the physics engine and graphics was top notch for its time. 

The whole rags to riches thing is also undeniably a good feeling.

Honourable mentions to Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth, Mount&Blade and Pharaoh.

If even after a lot of years you can come back to a game and still enjoy it. That is when you know the game is a classic.

In no particular order...

- Civilization (1-5) - Love this series...

- Skyrim - like it better than Oblivion (which I also like)

- Darklands - an old game made by MicroProse back in the early 90's... Set in 15th Century Germany (Holy Roman Empire)... (edit) Darklands has been cited as a major influence in the Elder Scrolls games and has been selected by "GameStop" to be on their "Greatest Games of all time" list...

- Starflight 2 - came out in late 80's (Ancient for computer games) but it totally engrossed me for hour after hour for many manoths...

- Sid Meyer's Railroad Tycoon (1)... Primitive graphics, but a really fun game... Later versions had better graphics but weren't as much fun for me...

edit - I would also add the old game "Elite" to this list... It was the very first open ended computer game and for a long time set the standard for space games...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

Im gonna plug 2 good games here the first being the longest lived MMO I know of.

EVE online. Running at 10 years with great support. averages 50k+ at peak bottoms at mid 20k at lowpeaks daily. Its space sandbox but its definently more complex then most games. Some refer to space spreadsheet. But its a great game if you like Spacebros. They recently released Dust on POS3 which actually interacts with the MMO. So yeah this ones got another 10 years in it likely.

Rift MMO. Definently was revolutionary at release is still good but lacks some stuff that would be needed to grow new players and keep them interested.

WOT=FunPath of Exile FTP= Looks fun in Beta

Loved Dawn of War 40k Multiplayer very much

UFO-enemy unknown

UFO-menace from the deep

Silent Service

Combat Arms

Civilization

• Like 1

Forgot about "Silent Service".. and "Gato" - two great submarine games!

"Red Baron" (WWI) is my favorite flight sim - just in front of "Aces over Europe" (WWII)...

Edited by Taun

In no perfect order:

Mass Effect 1,2,3: a master piece. Best games I ever played, although they have some issues, like the repetivenes of the first one, and between the many issues of the 3'rd there is the poor ending, that is actually astonishing in a negative manner.

WW2online: a bit outdated, but otherwise a unique gameplay. Fight ww2 along the Germans, French or Brits in central Europe starting with 1940 equipment till '43. Love the game.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R call of Prypriat: love the game, the mystery the desolation, fight against bandits, monsters, religious fanatics ect. What I like of this game, is the freedom of action, there is no specific order to complete mission, and you can choose to just wander around minding your own business. Good game.

Rome Total War: love the battles man, I advice to also try the various mods.

System Shock 2: old game, but pretty good for its age (1999/2000). Scary surroundings, evil AI, gore, action, monsters. All good for me :-D

There are many other games, but thise are the first five I could think of.

Going by time spent on each game really:

Minecraft: You can play this game for ages by yourself and for years with friends. It's a good go to game.

Dawn of War 2: (plus chaos rising and retribution) Multiplayer was really good, but I loved last stand mode, just a huge shame they didn't put more into it.

Company of heroes: (and add ons) Rinsed the multiplayer of this to death, best RTS game I have ever played.

Gears of war : Shame they train wrecked the rest of the franchise, this game wasn't much, but it was pure simple, dark and brutal multiplayer that felt fresh and new. Now the company is a huge sell out and it went more like COD than a dark underground shooter which had a loyal fan base. The original title was a gem and was the first multiplayer game i really got into. Fond memories of chainsawing my friends online.

Terraria: Same reasons as Minecraft but not as repayable. (It's like a 2d Minecraft, it's the baby Mario and Minecraft would make... lol)

• Like 2

MicroProse reminds me of the game Majesty, another classic worthy of the list. Tried that one too Taun?

AsteroidX I also played a bit of the Warhammer 40k multiplayer back in the day, good fun with friends.

C.S.M, you just reminded me I missed one of the best games released this decade. Bioshock. A simply amazing game.

As well as the Civilization series you have all enjoyed. I really enjoyed that too.

Coffey, I also really enjoyed COH. The whole terrain interactiveness was a big winner for me on that game.

Yeah that was the best thing about it. Made the game very tactical, unlike a lot of spam RTS games. I did love the old C&C games, like Red alert 1 and 2 etc. They eventually did add the building garrison feature, which COH built more on top of. But they where very "spam" friendly. lol There was a way to spam in coh though, but it wasn't the same really.

I loved Civ as well. Very good game to lose yourself in for hours. lol

• Like 1

Goldeneye for the N64. Have 3 brothers and the hours we spent killing each other in multiplayer were numerous and are unforgettable. Damned proximity mines!

Mass effect Trilogy is he best series of games I have played in my life. Ever.

World of Warcraft. Say what you Will about the game, but the end game PVE is astoundingly addictive if you can put the time and effort into it. The feeling you get when you see yourself ranked in the top ten, or even lower than that, in World of Logs is amazing. I have over 300 days played all in over the years, 120 on a single character (90 days played in 6 months on that character).

Mario 64 was truly groundbreaking and, much like Goldeneye, it set the bar in its Genre. It had unrivalled gameplay and the graphics were amazing. Metal Mario looked better than I ever expected; he looked like the T1000.

Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Both were great games considering their era and so much fun to play.

There are others, like Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Call of Duty, Halo and others, that I could have added to a bigger list but the ones above are the ones that stand out for me. Also, haven't played the Oblivion series so cannot comment on them.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Goldeneye for the N64. Have 3 brothers and the hours we spent killing each other in multiplayer were numerous and are unforgettable. Damned proximity mines!

That was one of the first proper multiplayer shooters, so much fun with friends etc.

Timesplitters 2 was another good one like that. Have fond memories of playing that with friends and beers. lol

• Like 1

1. Okami. I just love everything about the game.

2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1-3. The game may be simplistic, but it's a lot of fun.

3. Dead Space 1. Best horror game I've ever played.

4. Assassin's Creed 1-3. Love the series, very creative story(s) and the gameplay is great.

5. BioShock 1. My favorite FPS. It proves that FPS game can have both great/innovative gameplay and an amazing story.

• Like 1

Mass effect Trilogy is he best series of games I have played in my life. Ever.

World of Warcraft. Say what you Will about the game, but the end game PVE is astoundingly addictive if you can put the time and effort into it. The feeling you get when you see yourself ranked in the top ten, or even lower than that, in World of Logs is amazing. I have over 300 days played all in over the years, 120 on a single character (90 days played in 6 months on that character).

Mario 64 was truly groundbreaking and, much like Goldeneye, it set the bar in its Genre. It had unrivalled gameplay and the graphics were amazing. Metal Mario looked better than I ever expected; he looked like the T1000.

Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Both were great games considering their era and so much fun to play.

There are others, like Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Call of Duty, Halo and others, that I could have added to a bigger list but the ones above are the ones that stand out for me. Also, haven't played the Oblivion series so cannot comment on them.

I'm with you and Coffey on goldeneye. I used to go to a friends house when we were kids and play that game and loved it.

Only tried the latest Mass Effect in beta. I like the look of the first one better tbh because of the heavy RPG element it seems to possess.

I also remember going to another friends house and we played N64 games with friends and his brother. The charm those games had was overwhelming and perfectly geared towards a huge audience of all ages.

I played World of Warcraft since release and quit before The Burning Crusade came out. Something in it died that I can put a finger on. I enjoyed the PvP aspect as a melee dwarf hunter and often topped the lists. I found the PvE to be quite stagnant and repetitive. But it came to a point where if you wanted to be the best you almost had to invest full time effort into it and when a game becomes your life chore, I feel that's wrong.

Halo has great multiplayer and great fun to play with friends while I feel Call of Duty lost its touch after number 4.

• Like 1

I'm with you and Coffey on goldeneye. I used to go to a friends house when we were kids and play that game and loved it.

Only tried the latest Mass Effect in beta. I like the look of the first one better tbh because of the heavy RPG element it seems to possess.

I also remember going to another friends house and we played N64 games with friends and his brother. The charm those games had was overwhelming and perfectly geared towards a huge audience of all ages.

I played World of Warcraft since release and quit before The Burning Crusade came out. Something in it died that I can put a finger on. I enjoyed the PvP aspect as a melee dwarf hunter and often topped the lists. I found the PvE to be quite stagnant and repetitive. But it came to a point where if you wanted to be the best you almost had to invest full time effort into it and when a game becomes your life chore, I feel that's wrong.

Halo has great multiplayer and great fun to play with friends while I feel Call of Duty lost its touch after number 4.

I am just getting back into gaming after my Xbox sat unused for nearly a year. I am just starting to play Mass Effect trilogy and Dark Souls. They both rock. Though Dark Souls is difficult and challenging perhaps not for everyone either. There needs to be more games made like Mass Effect today. This game has soul and character.

I like the first Halo and still stands as the best, sure some improvements were made in the sequels but every Halo after that is just too damn short. I havent played Halo 4 yet too expensive at the moment and considering the lengths of Halo 2 and Halo 3 the price needs to come down dramatically, and there is no video rental places around me either since Blockbuster and Hollywood pulled up their tents. Halo 4 is on the backburner for me.

1. Super Smash Bros: Brawl
  2. Dynasty Warriors 3
  3. Pokémon Silver Version
  4. Age of Empires II
  5. Left 4 Dead / Fable (tied)

Edited by Eonwe

Going WAAAAAY back

Zork

Starflight

Ultima IV

Quake (Multiplay LAN)

Masters of Orion (and Master of Magic)

Bunches more. Funny thing though. If I were to try and play these now I would find them lacking but at the time these games (for me) captured my imagination much more than the current fare. Newer games look great but seem to lack the depth and creativity of the original person computer games. I think it was, hindsight here, the LACK of amazing graphics but the depth of the 'stories' that made them so good (except Quake...it was just fun to play against each other and blow your friends into bits, I was real good with the rocket launcher).

So many games...no way I could pick just 5....

• Like 1

AH my kind of topic :w00t: In order of Greatness 5 being the lowest and 1 being the win.

5 - Deus Ex

Deus ex blew my mind, the choice and the overall story was astounding to me. the thrill of running around as JC Denton with my cyber upgrades and Augs was some of the best fun i have had in a game and what a story. To this day i still play the game and read the comics. on this note ill also say Deus Ex Human Revolution was such a welcome entry capturing the feel and essence of the universe.

4 - Civilization Franchise

What can i say that has not already been said about these games. Sid Meiers hit a home run with pretty much all the games hes made (pirates, Alpha Centauri) but Civilization boom out the ball park

3 - Bio shock Franchise (System shock honorable mention attached)

Bio shock 1 and 2 where amazing fun game with great stories. The novel also was a great addition to the franchise and if you dont know why system shock is a great series go and buy it on GOG now.

2 - Mass Effect Franchise (Mass Effect 3 ending aside)

Great games spent over 100 hours total across all three developing my shepard. The comics and novels added to the already detailed and rich worlds.

1 - Half Life Series

Half life 1 and 2 tell an amazing story but expanding on that was Half life blue shift and half life opposing forces amazing games and i look forward to what valve do in the future.

Contra - I remember me and my uncle would stay up all night playing that game

Gears of War series - its just a great game plus they chainsaw bayonet....need I say more

Dead Space series - there just good horror games, I think the first one was the scariest but thats just my opinion

Metal Gear Solid series - its just a good stealth game all together

Starcraft - its just a fun game all around

No particular order...

Devil May cry series

Ninja Gaiden series

God of War trilogy

Castlevania Lords of Shadow (pt 2 coming this year)

Final Fantasy XI - played for over 5 years

(in no order)

1.Mass Effect

2.Left 4 Dead 2

3.Super Mario Strikers

4.Oddworld Strangers Wrath

5.Metal Arms:Glitch In The system

In no order.

The entire Metal Gear Solid series.

Hitman series.

Grand Theft Auto series.

Fallout 3, New Vegas

Skyrim

Dead Island

Uncharted series

Super Mario World

Oddworld

did you play the reboot of DmC jeramiah if so what did you think

No I haven't. I caught a trailer for it and did not really like what I saw. That is prob not a fair way to judge a game but, it looked pretty crappy to me personally.

give it a try when it comes down in price, its a fun game well made a great gameplay (coming from a huge original DMC fan)