Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russian warships gathering off Syria waters

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#46    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

View Postjoc, on 08 January 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

RAWR!!

...and no bite.

#47    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,746 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostI believe you, on 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

...and no bite.
I promised Saru I'll behave so I won't say who can bite whom and how satisfying it can be :D

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#48    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostI believe you, on 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

...and no bite.
That's right...I'm being a good boy... :gun:

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#49    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,809 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostI believe you, on 08 January 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

There were no WMDs.

Are people still perpetuating that hoax?

What I'm telling you is that the weapons used at Halabja were not simply "WW1 tech". Look into it.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#50    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,746 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostI believe you, on 08 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Ditto! I also think NATO helped ruin the former Yugoslavia.

If only US dismantled that damn conglomerate back in 1945, when they had plans to do so, but Brits wished their project to be kept alive.
Better late than never. Thank you, NATO.

Your narrative is just half the story, when you can tell me the other side, it will seem less tribal, less ranting against an enemy, more understanding. When you support wars, you are just supporting companies that sell weapons, their nations, and while they make a profit others have to suffer. Quit picking sides for a better world.
Quit telling me I should volunteer for victimization because you're tripping that way.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#51    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,017 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I posted a picture of the weapon

#52    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,250 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 08 January 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

is this  the "if you don't support Freedom and Democracy, then why don't you go & join  the Commies"  argument I see before me? So we're still living the Cold War, are we?
Simplify or vilify all you care to, it changes nothing in history or on the current ground.  The worldviews are diametrically opposed and a choice has to be made.  To think otherwise is to be naive to the point of childishness.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#53    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hard to believe it was over 10 years ago, but I said then what I'll say now.  The history of diplomatic relations between the Iraqi and neighboring governments have nothing to do with preventing arms from crossing borders when the Iraqi regime dissipated into the woodwork stripped of its power, and in the chaos that ruled the countryside for months and years, who knows who moved what where.   If securing WMD's were what was so important and what made that war so necessary, am I supposed to think that ignoring the borders and nearly all of the land area inside Iraq in the process was just a dumb mistake someone overlooked in the planning?   Please.  

The shameless chorus from almost a decade ago told us, Saddam Hussein had WMDs and he would use them on his own people, on us, or on our friends and allies.   But in order to believe that, I have to believe the government/media hype endlessly parroted about him to justify another invasion, and enough of that has been discredited as neocon warmongering BS.  Hearing these fear mongering comments about Syria is just history repeating itself.   It didn't even work on me in late 2002, it's not going to work on me in late 2012 or 2013.   Whether Syria has WMDs or not, they're not going to be Saddam's massive stockpiles of stale chemicals we were lied to about in the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Powell/Rice Show that some of us are eager to try again.  

Another neocon threat about chemicals isn't what makes Assad's regime so disgraceful.  It's the dead and dying people created by it; chemicals not required.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#54    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,250 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostYamato, on 09 January 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Hard to believe it was over 10 years ago, but I said then what I'll say now.  The history of diplomatic relations between the Iraqi and neighboring governments have nothing to do with preventing arms from crossing borders when the Iraqi regime dissipated into the woodwork stripped of its power, and in the chaos that ruled the countryside for months and years, who knows who moved what where.   If securing WMD's were what was so important and what made that war so necessary, am I supposed to think that ignoring the borders and nearly all of the land area inside Iraq in the process was just a dumb mistake someone overlooked in the planning?   Please.  

The shameless chorus from almost a decade ago told us, Saddam Hussein had WMDs and he would use them on his own people, on us, or on our friends and allies.   But in order to believe that, I have to believe the government/media hype endlessly parroted about him to justify another invasion, and enough of that has been discredited as neocon warmongering BS.  Hearing these fear mongering comments about Syria is just history repeating itself.   It didn't even work on me in late 2002, it's not going to work on me in late 2012 or 2013.   Whether Syria has WMDs or not, they're not going to be Saddam's massive stockpiles of stale chemicals we were lied to about in the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Powell/Rice Show that some of us are eager to try again.  

Another neocon threat about chemicals isn't what makes Assad's regime so disgraceful.  It's the dead and dying people created by it; chemicals not required.
And your political opinions make Assad's KNOWN stockpiles less dangerous, how?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#55    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

View Postand then, on 09 January 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

And your political opinions make Assad's KNOWN stockpiles less dangerous, how?
Which opinions?   My opinion about how leaving the borders of a country you're allegedly trying to contain a WMD threat in and landing on the oil fields instead wasn't going to secure anything but the oil fields?   I'm not the one denying that Syria may have gotten some weapons when Saddam's toadies were fleeing for their lives after another US invasion began.

If Assad using illegal weapons changes everything, why doesn't it change everything when Israel does it?   Why doesn't it change anything when the US does it?   Once again you've arrived with a double standard seemingly unaware of it.  

It's not about theory on how dangerous a government is.  By that standard, the US government is the most dangerous of all.  It's about what a government does to people.  It's about slaughtering innocent people in the fight against "terrorists".  Good old fashioned bullets and bombs are bad enough already.  I'm not going to change my mind about Assad because someone fired a chemical-tipped shell out of a howitzer.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#56    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,873 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 08 January 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

I posted a picture of the weapon
The Supergun, you mean? That was never actually delivered, was it? It was intercepted before it could be delivered, and that was before Gulf War I.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#57    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,873 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

View Postand then, on 08 January 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Simplify or vilify all you care to, it changes nothing in history or on the current ground.  The worldviews are diametrically opposed and a choice has to be made.  To think otherwise is to be naive to the point of childishness.
Vilify? Childishness? That seems a rather emotional choice of words. Who was trying to vilify or change history? :unsure2:

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 09 January 2013 - 07:58 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#58    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,017 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 09 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

The Supergun, you mean? That was never actually delivered, was it? It was intercepted before it could be delivered, and that was before Gulf War I.
It was never fully completed i think

#59    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,284 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 09 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 09 January 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

It was never fully completed i think
TBH I thought I was looking at a couple of sewerage pipes in that photo. :huh:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#60    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I thought cold war had effectively ended in 1989 and definitively ended in 1991. Reading many posts here and other parts of this forum, it is clear that some people live in the past. It almost seems as if you cannot live without some "boogeyman". What is it you people want? that there was WWIII and Europe a slagheap, though with Soviet tanks at English Channel looking over at a country without any life. You want this now? you want T-90s rolling down Unter Den Linden or Champs-Elysees just so you can say "I told you so, these Russians are evil". You want Russian civilians massacred in Syria just to point finger and laugh like Nelson Muntz. You are childish and sick, you are not serious people, you are mickey mouse jokes. Enough! learn to grow up and accept reality of life. How many here saw combat and death? It is so easy to sit behind computer and type words, any fool can do that. Real world is different. What happens in Syria, or anywhere else, is not entertainment for TV or forums, it is tragic and real. I still see comments, not on this forum though, applauding the terrorists of Beslan, or making ignorant and very stupid remarks about Nord-Ost siege. There is talk of "apologists for Russia" here, So, and there are no apologists and propagandists for the tie chewing moron Saakashvili, or wanted Chechen terrorists living in places like Berlin and London?. West puts on pious face and pretends there is no stink when they go to lavatory, and consistently lies. Latest rant from UK foreign minister was from childrens playground. UK was seen as being serious country, but that was long long time ago. You make remarks against Putin, yet your own leaders are midgets. So, who voted for Barroso and the rest of those parasites in oh so democratic EU? Wash own face before slinging mud. пока...

And where I say "you", well, if cap fits......

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 09 January 2013 - 02:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users