Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Purpose of human existence

Saru

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pretty Obscure

• FlyingAngel

• d e v i c e

• lilcharleslanca

Crackpots. Why must everybody need a purpose? Life is life.

It just it.

I agree, life doesn't even need a purpose, its already complete, but people have to make one up bcause they feel lost. Then here's something you can do with your time: find your inner peace and leave other people alone:)

Edited by Evilution13

My favorite 'quote' about 'purpose' is from the comic strip "Peanuts"...

Linus and his sister Lucy are talking...

(After a long discussion)

Linus: We were put here on this Earth to help others.

Lucy: (Long pause) What were the others put here for?

Edited by Taun

I agree with "The one known simply as L"

Best comment I've read on here in awhile...

I also wonder why everyone needs a 'purpose'. I admire animals, they don't look for a purpose, they simply "live". Of course some of you will probably say because they 'can't.

But maybe that's a good thing. Since YOU are the one being depressed and seeing "no point" in life. Animals don't need that silly stuff.

Like our distant cousins, the animals, I believe our main purpose is to survive. There may be higher purposes, certainly. But, leaving aside beliefs in a possible afterlife, we obviously can't explore these avenues unless we are living and our species thrives.

Life without purpose is like an useless object, a robot.

Even a small plant has a purpose is to filter the air for us.

The first purpose is to bring joy to your family.

Second is to take care of your parents (when they get old).

Third would be contribution to the society.

Beside that, if you think you don't have any purpose but a waste of resource and energy, or bring destruction, then there is no point in continue to live.

there is no purpose.......we are pretty much hitchin a ride........our planet is a vessel...........most ground and sea creatures are kepping us alive(they are our hosts)........as far as i can see........their pretty much sitting back waiting to see just how quickly we screw it up :)

Edited by cluey

Purpose of human existence

2.jpg

Click here to watch video - 07:32s

William Lane Craig and Christopher Hitchens answer a question on the purpose of human existence.

Human existance is " School" to learn and achieve knowlege.

meaning in life derives from having compassion within oneself for others, knowing pain and suffering, the happiness and joy of creating life with a partner, the simplistic joys of birdsong or smelling a blossom, the giving and sharing of thoughts with others, in recognising life to be the ultimate gift given to us, creating our own story as we while away our human years fraught with trials and tribulations. the ultimate purpose is the end of our story which remains the great unknown to us while we are living. this life is a journey, a one-way journey, a suicide mission and our only true purpose is to fulfil our destiny by dying in the end having gained knowledge and experiences and thereby having filled purpose for human existence. am i talking rubbish again? someone pull the plug!

life has a purpose. If u say life doesnt have purpose , its like saying things happen for no reason (absurd)

life has a purpose. If u say life doesnt have purpose , its like saying things happen for no reason (absurd)

posting that comment and not answering the question yourself is also bordering on absurd.....................please explain :)

posting that comment and not answering the question yourself is also bordering on absurd.....................please explain :)

Why do you think your parents gave birth to you? If you can answer why, you've already got your purpose

the purpose is to live life to the fullest...in joy. life is just a ride

Life without purpose is like an useless object, a robot.

Even a small plant has a purpose is to filter the air for us.

The first purpose is to bring joy to your family.

Second is to take care of your parents (when they get old).

Third would be contribution to the society.

Beside that, if you think you don't have any purpose but a waste of resource and energy, or bring destruction, then there is no point in continue to live.

Plants don't filter air for us they do it for themselves, it's simply coincidence that they breathe Carbon Dioxide and produce Oxygen, which just so happens to be what we breathe.

It's not like plants are like, oh man. Check out those humans... we should make them some air. YES THAT MUST BE OUR PURPOSE!

No. Simply no.

Also bringing joy to your family, taking care of your parents and contributing to society... Thats not 'the purpose' of human life. That doesn't make any sense.

Why would the purpose of human life be to bring joy to your family? Your family is also human so human life is on the earth just to make human life happy? Makes perfect sense.

Taking care of your parents? So human life is on earth to take care of human life when they get old? Makes perfect sense.

And contributing to society? Human life is on earth to contribute to something we created? Makes perfect sense.

Edited by The one known simply as L

meaning in life derives from having compassion within oneself for others, knowing pain and suffering, the happiness and joy of creating life with a partner, the simplistic joys of birdsong or smelling a blossom, the giving and sharing of thoughts with others, in recognising life to be the ultimate gift given to us, creating our own story as we while away our human years fraught with trials and tribulations. the ultimate purpose is the end of our story which remains the great unknown to us while we are living. this life is a journey, a one-way journey, a suicide mission and our only true purpose is to fulfil our destiny by dying in the end having gained knowledge and experiences and thereby having filled purpose for human existence. am i talking rubbish again? someone pull the plug!

Those thing's aren't the meaning of life, they are the experiences that comes with life.

Edited by The one known simply as L

As individuals, we create our own purpose in life, according to our views, faith, knowledge, decisions etc. It is those that can't see this that lead hollow lives without purpose.

As for what the purpose of all life is? It seems to me that life is the vehicle for change in an otherwise bleak existence. The 'frosting on the cake', if you will.

Plants don't filter air for us they do it for themselves, it's simply coincidence that they breathe Carbon Dioxide and produce Oxygen, which just so happens to be what we breathe.

It's not like plants are like, oh man. Check out those humans... we should make them some air. YES THAT MUST BE OUR PURPOSE!

No. Simply no.

Also bringing joy to your family, taking care of your parents and contributing to society... Thats not 'the purpose' of human life. That doesn't make any sense.

Why would the purpose of human life be to bring joy to your family? Your family is also human so human life is on the earth just to make human life happy? Makes perfect sense.

Taking care of your parents? So human life is on earth to take care of human life when they get old? Makes perfect sense.

And contributing to society? Human life is on earth to contribute to something we created? Makes perfect sense.

LOL for realz. what about people that do not have parents or a family?

and the amount a person contributes to society is completely opinion based. there would be no way to determine whether a person made a good enough contribution to this concept called society...that's the perception of the individual homie

Gain understanding of everything, takes care of it and hand it down to the next generation for more understanding of everything.

I agree, life doesn't even need a purpose, its already complete, but people have to make one up bcause they feel lost. Then here's something you can do with your time: find your inner peace and leave other people alone:)

Excellent reply. My sentiments exactly!

Why do you think your parents gave birth to you? If you can answer why, you've already got your purpose

They elected not to terminate the pregnancy. Where do I stand in that case?

• 4 months later...

i believe in every human soul there is a pull between faith in a higher power that will save us and bring us to a better place in the end of our sufferage on the this planet and the pull towards scientific fact that can prove so much (rationally) in our world today, but i feel that without the faith of god that we would not have the courage, train of thought, progressive knowlegde in technology... EVERYTHING would be NOTHING without our faith, there would be no reason of, no reason to further investigate any mystery, and with that being said THERE WOULD BE NO PURPOSE TO THIS WEBSITE. So if your reading this, you might not know it, but u still hold on to some faith. I hope your faith blossoms.

Edited by lilcharleslanca

EVERYTHING would be NOTHING without our faith, there would be no reason of, no reason to further investigate any mystery, and with that being said THERE WOULD BE NO PURPOSE TO THIS WEBSITE. So if your reading this, you might not know it, but u still hold on to some faith. I hope your faith blossoms.

"Everything" is not dependent on our so-called "faith"

Anyways in order to make life more tolerable some people choose to invent a reason for existing because for some it would be too shocking and depressing to realize that our lives have no more "meaning" than that of a dog or cat.

We live, do things, maybe raise a family then die.

In a way it is like watching a slew of movies on the weekend, they are fun and pass the time but essentially it means nothing except you found a way to make the time appear to pass by faster.