Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US ends ban on women in frontline combat

Still Waters

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has lifted the military's ban on women serving in combat roles, potentially opening hundreds of thousands of frontline positions to women.

The ruling, officially announced on Thursday, overturns a 1994 rule barring women from small ground-combat units.

But the military will have until 2016 to argue for any specific posts they think should remain closed to women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-21172033

I didn't know there were kitchens at the front line

LMAO!!! Hell, they could nag the enemy into submission.

• Like 2

Women have been in combat situations since the 2nd Gulf War if you dont include previous wars. With the static lines of the current conflicts we find ourselves in 143 women have been killed and 800 wounded. It only makes sense they are able to receive the more advanced training necessary to be an asset in these situations.

I didn't even know they were barred from combat roles before, heck there are local police women that kill and get killed all the time so why not have military women capable of combat roles and advanced training? It's about time they lifted it. It's also harder for the enemy to kill women too. Heck if I was in war I would myself find it hard to kill a woman that was on the enemy side. Hurting children and women are what men find very hard to do.

Edited by ozman

Ugh, I hope women understand the risks... it would be a million times worse being a woman if captured than a man.

Ugh, I hope women understand the risks... it would be a million times worse being a woman if captured than a man.

What makes you think that they would not 'understand the risks'? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...but that comment makes it seem that a woman wouldn't be smart enough to know that it is risky and that being a woman will have different dangers....

What makes you think that they would not 'understand the risks'? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...but that comment makes it seem that a woman wouldn't be smart enough to know that it is risky and that being a woman will have different dangers....

I might have worded that a bit wrong, but you know what I meant.

• Like 1

I just hope the same physical requirements apply to females that apply to males to ensure the quality of the American military does not go down and I also hope we follow Israel in this and have segregated male and female units. If I remember correctly Israel segregates its male and female units because it was noticed that in combat situation that when a female soldier got injured certain male soldiers started focusing exclusivity on helping the wounded female soldier no matter how dangerous it was to themselves or the unit and stopped following commands thus destroying unit cohesion.

Personally I am not a fan of this, I do not want PC sentiment entering into the military and I think the potential problems this could cause are not worth the risk, both to the military itself and the nations willingness to carry out a war.

Good now they can bring me a sammich!

As long as only women who can pass the physical requirements of front-line soldiers actually quality to fight in combat, then I'm fine with it. Also, all women should have to register for the draft as well, equality and all that.

• Like 3

I didn't know there were kitchens at the front line

35d75h.jpg

I feel terrible that I actually laughed at that...

I have nothing aganist women.but they should not be on the front lines.this is the down fall of the United states military. If they cry watching a moive.waite till they see there friend get blown up in half...

This bothers me a lot. They're always talking about equality and equal rights for everyone but I wanted to join the Army since I was 18 and I can't because I'm deaf in my left ear while my right ear is perfect. There are plenty of jobs in the Army that someone like myself can do. So much for equality...

• Like 1

Over millions of years, nature has fashioned physical differences in men and women ... why? Because nature is sexist of course. it is behind the times. It hasn't achieved the wisdom of the progressives in Washington who truly understand the life and death conflicts faced by lawyers and lobbyists and community organizers.

• Like 2

That's weird! When i clicked to enter this thread i must've suddenly gone back in time to a place where these comments were still socially acceptable.

This bothers me a lot. They're always talking about equality and equal rights for everyone but I wanted to join the Army since I was 18 and I can't because I'm deaf in my left ear while my right ear is perfect. There are plenty of jobs in the Army that someone like myself can do. So much for equality...

So you are comparing being deaf to being a woman ?

Strange time this is ... 1920's is it?

• Like 1

Hmmm.. well maybe. Rape comes to mind.

But I also know that some captured Vietnam-era American soldiers had their penis stretched out, cut-off, and shoved in their mouth as they either bleed to death, shot, or otherwise disposed.

Then they would display them as "warnings", with their penis sticking-out of their dead mouth.

For a captured women it would likely be a gang-rape scenario, "passed around", seriously messing-up her internal organs.

I don't know. I have mixed feelings about women in front-line combat roles.

35d75h.jpg

I feel terrible that I actually laughed at that...

I would have laughed, but since the worlds best and top chefs are actually men, it seems their place is in the kitchens...

LMAO!!! Hell, they could nag the enemy into submission.

Yup and instead of going to war, just stop speaking to their enemy

The US military is one of the few truly volunteer militaries in the world. As such it wants quality over quantity, and acute hearing in my mind qualifies as quality -- nevertheless I get your point -- probably some faceless bureaucrats were sitting around a desk deciding on standards and didn't use much common sense.

They need to carry out studies of what volunteers who are otherwise disqualified could do, and set their standards empirically rather than by the seat of their pants.

I am glad to see women treated the same, but I don't think it will actually happen in practice. I know how men are about these things (I'm a man -- women are seen as potential mothers and therefore their lives are given special worth), and women in the same platoon will get protection other men might not get, conceivably to the detriment of the group. Special training in this area is going to be needed.

Anyone who has served in the military knows that women are the soft target.

Not because they aren't as capable and in many cases almost as strong, but because the men will always go in to save them or to defend them.

How do you screw around with the enemy when they have female combatants?

Go after the women.

Women should not be front line grunts. They put their male counterparts in an untenable position. No man worth his name is going to walk away and leave a woman behind. That's just the fact. And women can argue up and down and around but the basic fact is, they put the men they serve with in danger.

There are many service positions behind the lines that women can fill way better than men.

• Like 3

I have nothing aganist women.but they should not be on the front lines.this is the down fall of the United states military. If they cry watching a moive.waite till they see there friend get blown up in half...

Yes because no woman in battle has ever seen her friends / collogues get killed or blown up before in war..Not ever..

As long as only women who can pass the physical requirements of front-line soldiers actually quality to fight in combat, then I'm fine with it. Also, all women should have to register for the draft as well, equality and all that.

That's a great point. I wonder how daddy will feel when his little princess has to register for the draft ?