Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Horror Remakes Discussion

the evil dead remake carrie

  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fairfield, CA

  • Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hey guys. Newest trailer for Evil Dead just hit yesterday...
Now, I am even more excited than I was when I first made this post.



Leave the door to your mind open, and the world will walk in.

#32    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostDBunker, on 03 January 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Rob Z Halloween remakes SUCKED BIGTIME.

Rob Z is a bad film-maker period. He ruined John Carpenter's classic.

He goes for the desaturated retro-trash stuff using ultraviolence  in his other films.

H1KC & The Devil's Rejects is basically an updated amalgam of John A Russo's 1982 slasher Midnight and Tobe Hooper's 1974/1986 Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies with a makeover. It even has the same revenge story as TCM 2.

Zombie has no originality.

Edited by Ambush Bug, 06 January 2013 - 09:29 PM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#33    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 04 January 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Hey guys. Newest trailer for Evil Dead just hit yesterday...
Now, I am even more excited than I was when I first made this post.



WOW that preview was a gore fest !!!

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#34    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fairfield, CA

  • Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 06 January 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

WOW that preview was a gore fest !!!

Definitely got me even more excited for the movie...

Leave the door to your mind open, and the world will walk in.

#35    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Joined:27 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Fairfield, CA

  • Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 06 January 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

Rob Z is a bad film-maker period. He ruined John Carpenter's classic.

He goes for the desaturated retro-trash stuff using ultraviolence  in his other films.

H1KC & The Devil's Rejects is basically an updated amalgam of John A Russo's 1982 slasher Midnight and Tobe Hooper's 1974/1986 Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies with a makeover. It even has the same revenge story as TCM 2.

Zombie has no originality.

I, honestly, could have made a better remake. xD
But I thought it was pretty good.
And, even though I loves 1K and TDR, it was alot like TCM.

But he didn't ruin Carpenter's classic. He actually reinvented it and made it his own, as sloppy as it was done.
But Carpenter's movie is still there. Its not like that movie was made to replace it.
The main reason I have started to dislike RZ is the fact he uses almost all the same people in his movies. He needs to realize there's more of a population than just his wife and friends. xD

Edited by little.wolf96, 07 January 2013 - 06:37 PM.

Leave the door to your mind open, and the world will walk in.

#36    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 07 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I, honestly, could have made a better remake. xD
But I thought it was pretty good.
And, even though I loves 1K and TDR, it was alot like TCM.

But he didn't ruin Carpenter's classic. He actually reinvented it and made it his own, as sloppy as it was done.
But Carpenter's movie is still there. Its not like that movie was made to replace it.
The main reason I have started to dislike RZ is the fact he uses almost all the same people in his movies. He needs to realize there's more of a population than just his wife and friends. xD

Well Carpenter's Halloween is regarded a classic, Zombie's Halloween never will.

Carpenter's Halloween was once the highest grossing independent film ever until The Blair Witch Project dethroned it in 1999.

With that, Zombie's Halloween is but a small footnote as it deserves to be as Carpenter has more talent in his pinkie finger than Zombie will ever hope to have. Zombie took the story of the Myers and Loomis and turned it into a white trailer trash. He turned Myer's mother into a stripper and his stepdad into a abusive drunk. Whereas in Carpenter's vision they appeared to represent the white middle class and that Michael Myers was basically born evil. Not a product of his evironment that was bullied by his classmates a la Zombie's Halloween. This film really started the slasher craze with multitudes of knock-offs representing every Holiday attempting to profit off the SUCCESS of Halloween. And for a couple of years, the slasher genre did bank on the box office until the genre became exhausted and cliched and a laughable parody unto itself. Black Christmas can be considered an earlier slasher before Halloween but it did have its critical success nor its influence.

Zombie basically didnt reinvent Halloween, he crapped on it.

And yes, Sherri Moon Zombie is a terrible actress! :td:

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#37    Labobio

Labobio

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 08 January 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Well Carpenter's Halloween is regarded a classic, Zombie's Halloween never will.

Carpenter's Halloween was once the highest grossing independent film ever until The Blair Witch Project dethroned it in 1999.

With that, Zombie's Halloween is but a small footnote as it deserves to be as Carpenter has more talent in his pinkie finger than Zombie will ever hope to have. Zombie took the story of the Myers and Loomis and turned it into a white trailer trash. He turned Myer's mother into a stripper and his stepdad into a abusive drunk. Whereas in Carpenter's vision they appeared to represent the white middle class and that Michael Myers was basically born evil. Not a product of his evironment that was bullied by his classmates a la Zombie's Halloween. This film really started the slasher craze with multitudes of knock-offs representing every Holiday attempting to profit off the SUCCESS of Halloween. And for a couple of years, the slasher genre did bank on the box office until the genre became exhausted and cliched and a laughable parody unto itself. Black Christmas can be considered an earlier slasher before Halloween but it did have its critical success nor its influence.

Zombie basically didnt reinvent Halloween, he crapped on it.

And yes, Sherri Moon Zombie is a terrible actress! :td:
Wow..i agree totally..lol..I honestly could not have said it better..the only other thing I would add is who the hell is giving a hillbilly like RZ money to make these movies?,,And arent all his movies including himself white trash??

Edited by Labobio, 14 March 2013 - 02:20 AM.


#38    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostLabobio, on 14 March 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

Wow..i agree totally..lol..I honestly could not have said it better..the only other thing I would add is who the hell is giving a hillbilly like RZ money to make these movies?,,And arent all his movies including himself white trash??

I agree. I have never enjoyed any of his movies. Too trashy and loud, with all the overplayed 70s radio rock classics blaring and bloody gore in all its desaturated glory. They are literally eyesores and definitely not the cult classics they ripped off and pretend to be.  They're just like a musician... ahem ... trying to be a no-talent horror director.

Edited by B Jenkins, 15 March 2013 - 07:05 AM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#39    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 25,515 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but I really enjoyed Evil Dead and its sequels.  The trailer isn't making me interested, though.  What I really loved about Evil Dead was the comedy.  The cliche horror with Bruce Campbell's over the top facial expressions.  What I see in the remake is an attempt at turning it into a full-blown horror without that comedic element.  I think I'll pass

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#40    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 15 March 2013 - 08:01 AM, said:

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but I really enjoyed Evil Dead and its sequels.  The trailer isn't making me interested, though.  What I really loved about Evil Dead was the comedy.  The cliche horror with Bruce Campbell's over the top facial expressions.  What I see in the remake is an attempt at turning it into a full-blown horror without that comedic element.  I think I'll pass

So true, but if you recall the original Evil Dead was straight horror with no comic elements either. It wasn't until Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn that the comedy surfaced.

The remake looks extremely ... violent. I think its director is purposely pushing the envelope in that direction. Am I sold? No. Am I abit curious? Only if its guaranteed to scare me.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#41    cultanorak

cultanorak

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Joined:07 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male

  • I imagine you have orders to destroy me?

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

All modern horror remakes are derivative and pointless although I haven't seen them all.

The only good remake I can think of which did justice to the original was the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. If the original didn't exist it would be a classic.

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Very underrated.


#42    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 25,515 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 15 March 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

So true, but if you recall the original Evil Dead was straight horror with no comic elements either. It wasn't until Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn that the comedy surfaced.

The remake looks extremely ... violent. I think its director is purposely pushing the envelope in that direction. Am I sold? No. Am I abit curious? Only if its guaranteed to scare me.
Perhaps it was just cheesy 80's effects, but I thought Evil Dead was hilarious.  One possibility is that I haven't seen Evil Dead.  I thought I had but as I think about it, perhaps it was part 2 that I saw.  But the images in the video of the opening post reminded me of what I had seen, so you never know.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#43    F3SS

F3SS

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,410 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pa

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 16 March 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Perhaps it was just cheesy 80's effects, but I thought Evil Dead was hilarious.  One possibility is that I haven't seen Evil Dead.  I thought I had but as I think about it, perhaps it was part 2 that I saw.  But the images in the video of the opening post reminded me of what I had seen, so you never know.
Man watch it. It's on Netflix or DVDs for probably five bucks.
Whatever the remake does whether it's gory, funny, remake, all or none it's got some mighty big shoes to fill. It had better impress.

Posted Image

#44    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

Just a second on Rob Zombie so the thread isnt derailed... check out the trailer of his newest horror venture, The Lords Of Salem. It appears to be an absolute trainwreck, once again stars his wife Sherri but this time around Rob Zombie has a role in it as well. Well, that's enough for now. I don't want to turn this into a Rob Zombie thread.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#45    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

View Postyearofthehater, on 15 March 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

All modern horror remakes are derivative and pointless although I haven't seen them all.

The only good remake I can think of which did justice to the original was the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. If the original didn't exist it would be a classic.

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Very underrated.

Remakes should always be few and far inbetween. Dont like em either. I wished I had a list of all the horror remakes made through 2000s to 2010s.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).





Also tagged with the, evil, dead, remake, carrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users