Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hello Kitty is not actually a cat

Still Waters

You would be forgiven for having thought for your entire life that Hello Kitty was a cat.

After all, she does kind of look like one - and she is called Kitty.

But her creators Sanrio are adamant. She is a British school kid called Kitty White and she lives just outside London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28963085

Well..the character was based off of a real person..I get that but the character still looks like a cat, you know, with the whiskers and ears. (most people don't have kitty ears or whiskers)

Sill...it's cute.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

When Kotaku called Sanrio's Tokyo headquarters today and asked whether or not Hello Kitty was indeed a cat, a spokesperson explained, "Hello Kitty was done in the motif of a cat. It's going too far to say that Hello Kitty is not a cat. Hello Kitty is a personification of a cat."

http://kotaku.com/dont-be-silly-hello-kitty-is-a-cat-1627820750

• Like 1

Well now they're giving conflicting information. Typical.

I'm gonna go with the company that created the thing instead of the L.A. Times who first reported the story.

I just realized that I am expending WAY too much effort on something that I do not even care about....

They are reporting what they were told by a woman who called the Sanrio company to ask that they fact check captions for an exhibition she was putting on.

Christine Yano, an anthropologist from the University of Hawaii, told the Los Angeles Times that she "was corrected -- very firmly" by Sanrio that Kitty was not a cat.

A quick look at final fantasy and other Japanese video games and Anime, shows their penchant for tricking out young females as cats.

She's always going to be a freaking "cat" to me.

Edited by Princess Serenity
  • Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, this situation is escalating far too quickly. It is natural for tempers to flare in the face of reason as we endure this controversy.

We should deploy heavily militarized police forces to quell the unrest surrounding this hugely contentious issue. I would recommend martial law and brutally punishing curfews until such time as we can all agree.....why would a British little girl be a commercial icon used to sell millions of dollars worth of products?

What is Hello Kitty, that strange looking girl from Harry Potter or Mary Poppins? Hardly. She is clearly an anthropomorphic Japanese cat used as a marketing device to separate children from their money.

• Like 2

It's in the name Hello Kitty

Or...if you want to be precise, she looks like a manx kitty. (the stubby tail)

If it walks like a cat, talks like a cat, quacks like a cat, it's definitely not a duck.

I read this somewhere before, but either way she's still a cat to me. D:

Edited by littlewallflower