Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Humans are 'unique super-predator'

Still Waters

Humans' status as a unique super-predator is laid bare in a new study published in Science magazine.

The analysis of global data details the ruthlessness of our hunting practices and the impacts we have on prey.

It shows how humans typically take out adult fish populations at 14 times the rate that marine animals do themselves.

And on land, we kill top carnivores, such as bears, wolves and lions, at nine times their own self-predation rate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-34011026

We are just stupid predators, taking more than we need, not much future planning. And we go for luxury instead of the smart choices for humanity.

But then again, other predators might do the same, should they ever get a similar influence as we do.

With all due respect to the study, I disagree that we as a species can be termed a "predator", let alone a "super" version of such an animal. In nature, predators exist in a fluid balance with their prey. If they overhunt and the prey population declines, then the predator population also suffers. H. sapiens, however, blithely ignores this natural order and balance. If I was to classify our species in such terms, I would suggest we behave more like a "super-virus".

• Like 2

If bears, wolves, lions had the ability to make arms, we would be in serious trouble.

Take away the weapons man has invented....then see who is the super predators.

The article indicates the weapons, we surely did not need a study to know this, its been obvious for centuries.

Humans are NOT unique super predators......they are unique super inventors who rely on the weapons they create to gain power, be it against the animal world or mankind.

Man is taking out more of the animal population because it means more to sell, whether it all gets eaten or not, wasted food is not on the sellers moral lists and it certainly has not bothered buyers.

Adult fish like adult animals kill to survive, man kills for other reasons too.

• Like 1

With all due respect to the study, I disagree that we as a species can be termed a "predator", let alone a "super" version of such an animal. In nature, predators exist in a fluid balance with their prey. If they overhunt and the prey population declines, then the predator population also suffers. H. sapiens, however, blithely ignores this natural order and balance. If I was to classify our species in such terms, I would suggest we behave more like a "super-virus".

World's destroyers! that is what we are :P

Think about Bambi. Imagine a different (less Disney) tale. A wolf takes down Bambi and the pack eats well. Bambi's mom just lost a fawn, but she's able to easily reproduce, and next time mating season rolls around, she has Bambi 2.0.

The Case For Killing Bambi