Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO filmed over Thames estuary

Saru

Footage of strange lights in the sky over London has generated great interest online this week.

Footage of a flickering orb hovering over the Thames Estuary was caught by a passing motorist on February 5. It was then uploaded to YouTube under the username Space999dude, where the bizarre images have caused a stir among UFO hunters.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoser

• angi chiesa

• spud the mackem

• TJdexter

Without any reference points in the video, this could be absolutely anything.

With any luck there could be other videos or a longer version that does have some context.

I'm not inclined to search, however.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

I was just about to make the same comment as Imaginarynumber1. Reference points are a must. Though, the footage is good, it lacks reliability due to the lack of reference and the fact that it is only 53 seconds long. Why wouldn't you film this thing for as long as possible? It would be the most surreal and amazing thing I could ever see. I would not take my eyes, or film equipment off of it, until it left my view...I am just sayin'

there is a second video with a few possible reference areas here:

still kinda hard to saw though!

The Thames Estuary is an approach area for Gatwick and Heathrow airports. Lots of lights in this area so must be something to do with aircraft on finals.

Gatwick & Heathrow would be on red alert if there was an unidentified aircraft in there air space. I agree with Imaginarynumber1, reference points, and it's the wrong atmosphere for london. i know it sounds strange but you know when things just aint right........you know?

Footage of strange lights in the sky over London has generated great interest online this week.

Very impressive; more detail than the usual dot of light in the sky which could make one suspicious; on the other hand definitely not a plane because it is too static, an not a tower because it is too high (beginning of 2nd clip). Intriguing.

Very impressive; more detail than the usual dot of light in the sky which could make one suspicious; on the other hand definitely not a plane because it is too static, an not a tower because it is too high (beginning of 2nd clip). Intriguing.

Looking at clip 2 again; stop at 0:53. The level of the ground is clear, but why is region above ground level divided into 2 parts with the object sitting directly between the two? Could the darker region be the ocean? Is that why someone on youtube suggested an oil rig? If so why is the division between the ocean and the sky not horizontal? The angle of the camera? Could the division be explained by cloud types? I will try and get some response from the owner on youtube. Without knowing the area too well the sea would I think be visible from the Thames Estuary.

there is a second video with a few possible reference areas here:

still kinda hard to saw though!

Well, that's obviously a Ship, isn't it. Observe how it's right on the horizon when he Zooms out.

I did a few screen shots and highlighted some areas in PAINT. (Was being as fast as possible so not exactly a pro job here editing) After watching the second video, as in the first there was absolutely no reference points as said by previous posts, I can say with 100% certainty it's nothing more than a boat. I'm not from the area but, do they fish out there? Commercial fishing vessels have VERY bright lights. Anyway, below are the screenshots.

UFO.jpg

Above is the Original Image. Now below shows our horizon point reference:

UFOhorizon.jpg

Again, I was merely pointing out as fast as possible the horizon so we could positively identify this boat on a horizon ref. point. We can clearly see this object is on the water and either equal too or below our horizon (meaning it's closer to shore than previously thought)

Next is an image of a reflection from the lights in the water. This is important due to the fact it shows this image is exceedingly close to the water.

UFOReflect.jpg

You can clearly see the reflection of the top brightest light in the water. If you watch the second clip, and look at this reflection, you will actually see it changing with the waves that go against the boat.

I would say that this is a ship nearly bows on to the camera if you magnify it you can see light reflecting on the water,which are the two faint lights at the bottom of the objrct.I have seen similar to this when approaching another vessel at sea,although ships pass port to port sides,except Greeks/Panamanians which please themselves as there is usually no one on the bridge anyway.

Are there any oil or gas rigs in the Thames estuary,because that's what it looks like to me...

Are there any oil or gas rigs in the Thames estuary,because that's what it looks like to me...

Yes there are a couple of exploratory rigs on the Essex coast as you head out of the Thames on the left side going north

I did a few screen shots and highlighted some areas in PAINT. (Was being as fast as possible so not exactly a pro job here editing) After watching the second video, as in the first there was absolutely no reference points as said by previous posts, I can say with 100% certainty it's nothing more than a boat. I'm not from the area but, do they fish out there? Commercial fishing vessels have VERY bright lights. Anyway, below are the screenshots.

UFO.jpg

Above is the Original Image. Now below shows our horizon point reference:

UFOhorizon.jpg

Again, I was merely pointing out as fast as possible the horizon so we could positively identify this boat on a horizon ref. point. We can clearly see this object is on the water and either equal too or below our horizon (meaning it's closer to shore than previously thought)

Next is an image of a reflection from the lights in the water. This is important due to the fact it shows this image is exceedingly close to the water.

UFOReflect.jpg

You can clearly see the reflection of the top brightest light in the water. If you watch the second clip, and look at this reflection, you will actually see it changing with the waves that go against the boat.

Yes definitely a vessel; surely the producer of the video must have realised this? :unsure:

I was just about to make the same comment as Imaginarynumber1. Reference points are a must. Though, the footage is good, it lacks reliability due to the lack of reference and the fact that it is only 53 seconds long. Why wouldn't you film this thing for as long as possible? It would be the most surreal and amazing thing I could ever see. I would not take my eyes, or film equipment off of it, until it left my view...I am just sayin'

Well, one thing about filming as long as possible... When I take videos (Of my cat - not of UFO's) I always end up having rather short videos because I use my phone - and phones don't necessarily store hours of video or anything.

No idea what this person used, but I know my phone (A Droid X) could reproduce the zoom/resolution, so if they were using a phone that would explain why the video is shorter than one might think...

Its not a U.F.O.but maybe a U.S.O ?? unidenified Sailing object,Oh well I tried,nil desperandum..