Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Should Babies Be Genetically Engineered?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

View Postshrooma, on 19 February 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

_
by that rationale, if you could genetically modify corn to grow in desert conditions, and save millions of people from starving to death, you wouldn't? on principle?

Because of the long range affects.  I have numerous food allergies and they all point to GM of grains which were carried out in WWII.   Messing around with things can cause some very scary side affects and I worry about the future generations.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#62    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

No, I don't think that way. This field is like fire. It depends on how you use it. I support its use to "heat" objects and "warm" people, but I don't support its use to "burn" humanity.

worth repeating.

My concern is if we damage chromosomes or DNA in the process we could miss out on what we really were meant to be.

#63    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 21 February 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

Because of the long range affects.  I have numerous food allergies and they all point to GM of grains which were carried out in WWII.   Messing around with things can cause some very scary side affects and I worry about the future generations.

No kidding...
You are probably from parallel universe, because

Scientists create genetically modified tobacco resistant to an antibiotic

First GM crop trials begin around the world, including the UK
[...]
(link)

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#64    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

[...]
Screening once the child has been conceived, And even then it can not tell everything. Screening will not tell if your child will be autistic!
[...]
Maybe not today, but in the future will

[...]
They will not be using an ipad or a Dell laptop!! Surgery is not cheap and the surgeons wages are not getting lower.[...]
Time will come when robots will substitute man. Planes already are capable of flying with minimal/without input from pilot.

[...]The money required to conduct the research and experiments will cost an arm and a leg, someone will want their money back as well as the surgeons being well paid for doing it too.
Again, with time all technologies become cheaper.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#65    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 21 February 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

No, I don't think that way. This field is like fire. It depends on how you use it. I support its use to "heat" objects and "warm" people, butI don't support its use to "burn" humanity.
And how exactly it "burns" humanity?

#66    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,814 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 21 February 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Maybe not today, but in the future will

And how many mistakes will it take before they can find out if it can work? We are talking about a human being, not trying to a new recipe.

Time will come when robots will substitute man. Planes already are capable of flying with minimal/without input from pilot.

So whats the point of trying make the perfect human if you have the perfect robot?

Again, with time all technologies become cheaper.

Surgery does not get cheaper over time, the surgeons wll not take a lower wage

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#67    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,324 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

View Postbmk1245, on 21 February 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

And how exactly it "burns" humanity?

Look to the past. Recall the eugenicists and the Nazis. Look to the future. Imagine potential genetic abnormalities.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#68    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,018 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 February 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

And how many mistakes will it take before they can find out if it can work? We are talking about a human being, not trying to a new recipe.
[...]
Nature already makes many mistakes, and those mistakes are corrected by the same nature in ruthlessly effective way - death (sooner or later). With genetic engineering you can correct those mistakes so born child won't die or suffer. Is it bad?

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 February 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

[...]
So whats the point of trying make the perfect human if you have the perfect robot?

Surgery does not get cheaper over time, the surgeons wll not take a lower wage
We went OT a bit, but I mentioned robots as substitutes to surgeons.

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 22 February 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Look to the past. Recall the eugenicists and the Nazis.[...]
Lenin, Stalin, Mao and others were wiping out their own without any help of genetics (which, BTW, in former USSR was banned due to ideological reasons).

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 22 February 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

[...] Look to the future. Imagine potential genetic abnormalities.
Again, genetic abnormalities do happen naturally, and left for nature alone deal with cause infant (and not only) deaths. Without modern medicine how many of us would be here to discuss?

#69    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,814 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Nature already makes many mistakes, and those mistakes are corrected by the same nature in ruthlessly effective way - death (sooner or later). With genetic engineering you can correct those mistakes so born child won't die or suffer. Is it bad?

There is a thread about the mosquitoes becoming immune from the repellants. How are they going to make the perfect person immune from mosquito bites or any new virus or disease which may develop in the future?
Can they make this "perfect" person immune from all the viruses and new ones? Humans after time can become immune to antibiotic, are these "perfect" people going to be made where they do not become immune to any medications?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#70    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

We went OT a bit, but I mentioned robots as substitutes to surgeons.

Lenin, Stalin, Mao and others were wiping out their own without any help of genetics (which, BTW, in former USSR was banned due to ideological reasons).

Again, genetic abnormalities do happen naturally, and left for nature alone deal with cause infant (and not only) deaths. Without modern medicine how many of us would be here to discuss?
You said the word nature.  IMO,  nature should be the one that decides on our progression, not man.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#71    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

My wife had attention deficit disorder (ADD).  I'm sure if they start "eliminating" genetic deficits, this will be one of the first to go.

I would not have had her any different.  She made up for her deficiency in so many other ways, and even when her problem got the best of her, it was a wonderful thing to watch her deal with it.  Of course it would be frustrating to explain something to her only to realize her mind had been elsewhere, but one leans patience that way.

She was still an independent, capable and loving wife and mother, quite my equal in our partnership.

#72    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Another thing that is happening in a major way now throughout Asia (especially China, India and Vietnam) is selective abortion based on sex.  Male to female ratios are getting seriously out of hand.  Now all of the countries involved have made this sort of thing illegal, but it is still happening.  What about genetic selection of "desirable" traits if parents are this uncaring for little daughters?

#73    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 February 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

My wife had attention deficit disorder (ADD).  I'm sure if they start "eliminating" genetic deficits, this will be one of the first to go.

I would not have had her any different.  She made up for her deficiency in so many other ways, and even when her problem got the best of her, it was a wonderful thing to watch her deal with it.  Of course it would be frustrating to explain something to her only to realize her mind had been elsewhere, but one leans patience that way.

She was still an independent, capable and loving wife and mother, quite my equal in our partnership.

This is one thing i have thought about in this topic.Certain things as you have mentioned that we can adore about another such as the way you felt about your wifes ADD.Even things such as dimples are considered a deformity,yet are cute as hell on the right face.Do we all really want to be the same way?What about the engineered baby,should it have to be what your idea of perfect was?

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#74    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,056 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 22 February 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

You said the word nature.  IMO,  nature should be the one that decides on our progression, not man.
Why are you here then and not out using your natural survival skills?

#75    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,056 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 February 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Had? So she got better?

You'd leave her if she somehow got it cured? It sounds like you're saying you enjoy watching people with disorders trying to cope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users