Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Link between BPA and thyroid hormone changes

Karlis

Correlation found between BPA and thyroid hormone levels in pregnant women and their newborn babies

Bisphenol A, known as BPA, is commonly found in the inner lining of food and beverage cans, in hard plastics such as reusable water bottles and in chemical sealants.

Read more

• Like 1

Correlation found between BPA and thyroid hormone levels in pregnant women and their newborn babies

Bisphenol A, known as BPA, is commonly found in the inner lining of food and beverage cans, in hard plastics such as reusable water bottles and in chemical sealants.

Read more

Wow, I guess I should have upped my BPA consumption during pregnancy. Maybe I could have avoided all the hyperthyroid nonsense.

" Not only have the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Health Canada both recently reconfirmed that it is unlikely that BPA could cause human health effects, but the European Food Safety Authority and a World Health Organization panel have also supported the continued use of BPA in products that come in contact with food,” the statement reads."

Uh,huh.Reason #1,376 ,to not believe anything the FDA ,or WHO tell us .

• Like 1

Read more

I just called Kroger headquarters today and talked to them about checking on what foods have BPA touching them, and what ones don't. I told them that they should be far more concerned about the foods they sell to us. Also told them that their BPA-coated sales reciepts should not be used, that they were in for some really huge law suits from the checkers who get cancer from handling those sales reciepts all day, and that I would do my best to inform the checkers I come across that they are handling sales reciepts that will give them cancer on down the road.

I originally called them to ask of the little bags we put our produce in have BPA in them, or any other phalate or endocrine disruptor

Hey, you don't get to be my age without reflecting to others the world you demand to see.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 1

" Not only have the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Health Canada both recently reconfirmed that it is unlikely that BPA could cause human health effects, but the European Food Safety Authority and a World Health Organization panel have also supported the continued use of BPA in products that come in contact with food,” the statement reads."

Uh,huh.Reason #1,376 ,to not believe anything the FDA ,or WHO tell us .

Meanwhile, the cases of meningitis continues to rise, and they have added two more drugs to the list of drugs that will give you meningitis.

http://news.yahoo.com/fda-pharmacys-other-drugs-may-causing-illness-190649992.html (in time, the link will disappear)

"The FDA on Monday expanded its advice to doctors to contact all patients who got any injection made by the company, including steroids and drugs used in eye surgery as well as heart operations. The agency said it took the step “out of an abundance of caution” as it investigates the new reports involving the heart surgery drug and the second steroid, called triamcinolone acetonide."

The US faith in the FDA is at an all-time low.

Industry cannot and will not govern itself. Regulate businesses and not THE PEOPLE.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, the cases of meningitis continues to rise, and they have added two more drugs to the list of drugs that will give you meningitis.

http://news.yahoo.com/fda-pharmacys-other-drugs-may-causing-illness-190649992.html (in time, the link will disappear)

"The FDA on Monday expanded its advice to doctors to contact all patients who got any injection made by the company, including steroids and drugs used in eye surgery as well as heart operations. The agency said it took the step “out of an abundance of caution” as it investigates the new reports involving the heart surgery drug and the second steroid, called triamcinolone acetonide."

The US faith in the FDA is at an all-time low.

Industry cannot and will not govern itself. Regulate businesses and not THE PEOPLE.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/16/bpa-disrupts-egg-development.aspx?e_cid=20121016_DNL_art_2

While BPA has been linked to thyroiud changes, thyroid changes have been linked to weight changes.

http://www.medscape....warticle/763839

Medscape Medical News from the:

This coverage is not sanctioned by, nor a part of, the International Society of Endocrinology

or the European Society of Endrocrinology.

From Medscape Medical News

Thyroid Hormone Levels Linked to Weight Changes

Emma Hitt, PhD

1x1.gif

May 15, 2012 (Florence, Italy) — Weight changes might be linked to changes in thyroid hormone levels, or vice versa, according to a study of metabolic parameters and body composition in men 25 to 45 years of age.

Greet Roef, MD, from the University Hospital in Ghent, Belgium, and colleagues presented the findings here at Joint 15th International Congress of Endocrinology and 14th European Congress of Endocrinology.

"This study suggests that body composition (i.e., fat mass) might influence circulating thyroid hormone levels, even in subjects who are not [extremely] obese," Dr. Roef told Medscape Medical News. However, she pointed out that because of the study design, it was not possible to establish the direction of the observed associations (i.e., whether variation in thyroid hormone levels leads to an altered body composition or whether a less favorable body composition leads to changes in circulating thyroid hormone levels).While BPA has been linked to thyroid changes

And that isn't all: Once you get it, you keep it and pass it on to your offspring, who pass iit on to their offspring, who then pass it on to their offspring , who stil pass it on to their offspring.. Isn't THAT great?!

http://www.eurekaler...s-bee061412.php

BPA exposure effects may last for generations

New study shows gestational exposure to BPA leads to behavioral changes for 4 generations

Edited by regeneratia

A pretty important point, I think:

"While Abrams acknowledged the importance of the study, she was careful to note that the results of the study could not prove that BPA is the cause of the thyroid hormone changes in the pregnant women."

It's unclear from the overview if the study was cross-sectional. If that was indeed the case then, by design, it can't provide evidence for causation; hence the word "correlated".

Edited by Cybele

A pretty important point, I think:

"While Abrams acknowledged the importance of the study, she was careful to note that the results of the study could not prove that BPA is the cause of the thyroid hormone changes in the pregnant women."

It's unclear from the overview if the study was cross-sectional. If that was indeed the case then, by design, it can't provide evidence for causation; hence the word "correlated".

You can be assured tho that more and more research will be done on this issue. The future will bring it all to light.

Did you go to the links, or just form an opinion from one paragraph provided here?

Obesity in Children Linked to Higher Urinary Bisphenol A

Emma Hitt, PhD http://www.medscape....warticle/771146

1x1.gif

September 18, 2012 — Obese children and adolescents have a higher concentration of bisphenol A (BPA) in their urine than their healthy-weight peers, according to the findings of a nationally representative cross-sectional sample.

Leonardo Trasande, MD, MPP, from the Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, and New York University Wagner School of Public Service, New York City, and colleagues report their findings in the September 19 issue of JAMA.

BPA, a known endocrine disruptor, is found in canned foods, liquids packaged in plastic bottles, and other consumer products. Previous studies have shown an association between increased urinary BPA concentrations and obesity in adults.

What do you suppose 'known endocrine disruptor' means ?

Edited by regeneratia

You can be assured tho that more and more research will be done on this issue. The future will bring it all to light.

Good to see that you're keeping an open mind.

Did you go to the links, or just form an opinion from one paragraph provided here?

I've formed no opinion, just reiterated what was said in the "Daily Californian" article.

I'm not familiar with the epidemiologic literature relating BPA to adverse health outcomes, but to actually get a decent understanding for the current state of the literature, I'd have to conduct a literature search, including, but not limited to, the articles you have posted here (which I will examine).

Obesity in Children Linked to Higher Urinary Bisphenol A

Emma Hitt, PhD http://www.medscape....warticle/771146

1x1.gif

September 18, 2012 — Obese children and adolescents have a higher concentration of bisphenol A (BPA) in their urine than their healthy-weight peers, according to the findings of a nationally representative cross-sectional sample.

Leonardo Trasande, MD, MPP, from the Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, and New York University Wagner School of Public Service, New York City, and colleagues report their findings in the September 19 issue of JAMA.

BPA, a known endocrine disruptor, is found in canned foods, liquids packaged in plastic bottles, and other consumer products. Previous studies have shown an association between increased urinary BPA concentrations and obesity in adults.

What do you suppose 'known endocrine disruptor' means ?

I know what it means, though there are other hormones in the endocrine system besides those related to the thyroid.

Most of the research I've heard of, for example, related it to anti-androgenic effects. Unfortunately, the link you posted is not working for me, so I cannot read the article, though I suppose I could find it through pub-med. When I searched for the title, this is the first line that came up:

A cross-sectional study of children and adolescents shows that urinary bisphenol A concentration is significantly associated with obesity.

Edited by Cybele

Good to see that you're keeping an open mind.

I've formed no opinion, just reiterated what was said in the "Daily Californian" article.

I'm not familiar with the epidemiologic literature relating BPA to adverse health outcomes, but to actually get a decent understanding for the current state of the literature, I'd have to conduct a literature search, including, but not limited to, the articles you have posted here (which I will examine).

I know what it means, though there are other hormones in the endocrine system besides those related to the thyroid.

Most of the research I've heard of, for example, related it to anti-androgenic effects. Unfortunately, the link you posted is not working for me, so I cannot read the article, though I suppose I could find it through pub-med. When I searched for the title, this is the first line that came up:

A cross-sectional study of children and adolescents shows that urinary bisphenol A concentration is significantly associated with obesity.

I well know that there are more hormones than those that come from the thyroid. So far no mention of the parathyroid, tho it might be involved as well. The imbalance of K+ seems to be upset in many people these days, tho they attribute it all to dietary.

That is what the endocrine system is all about, hormones. It seems medical science is discovering more and more hormones up to today, so saying there are x amount of hormones in the body, like the liver does 108+ functions in the body, just cannot be accurate.

Medscape requires a free registration. I have been registered on it since the mid-90's. And I have a registration for others that is not linked to me. It is easy to register. It is a medical site.

"known endocrine disruptor": To me it means that there are chemicals out there that are known to alter the actions of parts of or, less likely, the entire endocrine system. Most likely some are done as a treatment to specific diseases.

Edited by regeneratia

Another link to the initial post:

http://www.eurekaler...--blt100212.php

BPA linked to thyroid hormone changes in pregnant women, newborns

and more on it, without much mention of the thyroid:

http://www.medscape....rticle/748067_3

Prenatal Bisphenol A Exposure and Infant Neurobehavior: Discussion

Discussion

We report on a mother who had a prenatal urinary BPA concentration two orders of magnitude higher than the mean or median urinary BPA levels documented in previous biomonitoring studies. We identified multiple potential sources of BPA exposure that could be avoided during vulnerable periods of development, including canned beverages and foods. Her infant had normal neurobehavior at birth followed by abnormal arousal, regulation, quality of movement, excitability, and lethargy at 1 month of age. The temporal relationship of the extremely high prenatal BPA value with the transient abnormal neurobehavioral findings is hypothesis generating and raises the question about whether these findings reflect BPA toxicity. However, the abnormal neurobehavior at 1 month might have been a result of another etiology, given that the infant had normal findings at birth and from 1 to 5 years of age. This case highlights a potential association between gestational BPA exposure and transient neurodevelopmental findings that can alert researchers to potential areas for examination in future investigations and epidemiologic studies.

The mother's BPA concentration at 27 weeks of pregnancy was higher than any reported in the peer-reviewed literature for a person in the general population (CDC 2010; Vandenberg et al. 2010). Consumption of contaminated food and beverages is thought to be the single largest contributor to BPA exposure in the general population (Vandenberg et al. 2010; von Goetz 2010). Recent data show that airborne BPA may also be an important source of exposure (Fu and Kawamura 2010). The case mother reported eating canned ravioli daily during her second and third trimesters of pregnancy and eating canned or frozen vegetables one to three times per week in her prenatal questionnaire. Food can linings may contain BPA that can leach into foods (Vandenberg et al. 2007). The degree of BPA leaching increases under acidic, basic, and high-temperature conditions. Canned beverages are also documented sources of BPA exposure (Cao et al. 2009). The case mother reported drinking five canned beverages per week in the month before the 22-week questionnaire. This overall consumption pattern could have contributed to her high exposure concentration. A recent study showed that replacing canned and packaged foods with fresh foods in one's diet significantly lowered urinary BPA concentrations (Rudel et al. 2011). Consistently using and microwaving plastics (including plastic plates, cups, and food storage containers used to store and reheat foods) may have also led to the increased urinary BPA concentration. Hard polycarbonate plastic, cardboard food storage containers, and plastic stretch film can contain BPA (Vandenberg et al. 2007).

-----

I encourage everyone who loves to read about this type of medical news register at medscape. Medscape is a good source of medical news.

Edited by regeneratia

Another link to the initial post:

http://www.eurekaler...--blt100212.php

BPA linked to thyroid hormone changes in pregnant women, newborns

and more on it, without much mention of the thyroid:

http://www.medscape....rticle/748067_3

The second article doesn't mention the thyroid because it isn't related to thyroid disruption, or the first article. It's a case study of an individual taken from a cohort which assesses the association between high BPA in the mother and neuro-developmental problems in an infant (ie BPA as a potential neurotoxicant). Case studies are often considered by epidemiologists to be interesting starting points for further research, and useful in that regard, but they are at the very bottom of the totem-pole in terms of scientific rigor.

Notice that your article repeatedly refers to BPA as "estrogenic". This means that it mimics estrogen, as do many man-made compounds and plants such as soy. I'm not a doctor, nor do I claim extensive knowledge in endocrinology, but my understanding is that compounds which mimic endogenous hormones due to their physical structure interact with cells in the same way as the real hormones would, just as certain drugs are able to affect the brain by mimicking neurotransmitters. I don't know why a compound which binds to estrogen receptors would be more likely to affect the thyroid as well. I don't have a sense of the endocrine system working that way. The research on a BPA/thyroid connection seems preliminary.

http://www.igb.illin...genic-compounds

Edited by Cybele

Wow, you sure love Dr. Mercola, don't you? I've yet to see you post a link to a site where his name wasn't somewhere on the page.

You've only seen posts from me with mercola ? You lead a very sheltered life then,considering I've posted dozens that have no mention of him ,whatsoever .

I actually got this in my inbox ,same time this thread was posted ,so it seemed appropriate .

• Like 1

You've only seen posts from me with mercola ? You lead a very sheltered life then,considering I've posted dozens that have no mention of him ,whatsoever .

I actually got this in my inbox ,same time this thread was posted ,so it seemed appropriate .

Every health-related one I've seen. Sorry if I don't follow you around, reading your every word. :rolleyes:

I realize that. I put it in there to add to the BPA research.

When you have breast cancer that is related to estrogen levels, the Dr.s do their best to eliminate estrogen from the body as much as possible. Now they are thinking that some cancers are indeed estrogen-initiated. In somoe cancers, estrogen may well be helpful.

We are still discovering hormones. We are still discovering how hormones react to one another.

An orchestra requires many different instruments, all working together and independently to create profound depths of music. I think it is the same way with hormones.

Once we have discovered everything there is to know about hormones, perhaps a hundred years down the road, then they will work on how each unique individual differs hormonally from one another, and how we differ at different stages of life and how we differ with each other at that age too.

It is safe to say that we double our medical knowledge of the human body every three to five years. What we think now will not be what we think five years down the road.

There is a lot of fine-tuning going on. All hail to science.

While we do know, at this point in time, that BPA passes downn from generation to generation, what will the effects of that be? You cannot know. I cannot know. Time will be our guide.

But we do KNOW that BPA is not a part of homeostasis.

The second article doesn't mention the thyroid because it isn't related to thyroid disruption, or the first article. It's a case study of an individual taken from a cohort which assesses the association between high BPA in the mother and neuro-developmental problems in an infant (ie BPA as a potential neurotoxicant). Case studies are often considered by epidemiologists to be interesting starting points for further research, and useful in that regard, but they are at the very bottom of the totem-pole in terms of scientific rigor.

Notice that your article repeatedly refers to BPA as "estrogenic". This means that it mimics estrogen, as do many man-made compounds and plants such as soy. I'm not a doctor, nor do I claim extensive knowledge in endocrinology, but my understanding is that compounds which mimic endogenous hormones due to their physical structure interact with cells in the same way as the real hormones would, just as certain drugs are able to affect the brain by mimicking neurotransmitters. I don't know why a compound which binds to estrogen receptors would be more likely to affect the thyroid as well. I don't have a sense of the endocrine system working that way. The research on a BPA/thyroid connection seems preliminary.

http://www.igb.illin...genic-compounds

Edited by regeneratia