Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists confident 'God particle' found

Still Waters

Scientists are confident that they have discovered the long sought after Higgs boson, hown as the “God particle”, which holds the physical fabric of the universe together.

CERN, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, announced today that after extensive testing it was “looking more and more” like the particle which they discovered last year was the Higgs boson.

http://www.telegraph...d-particle.html

Confident, but not 100% sure. more experiments still needed.

It's not the first Scalar particle found, but professor Hawkings has his $100.00 at the ready. Amazing this, I did not expect to ever read this headline, but they seem pretty confident here. I don;t think this one is equipment malfunction, we might actually be on the verge of understanding Higgs Boson.

In an interview with the BBC, Professor Hawking revealed his disappointment that the Higgs Boson was discovered exactly as expected, since science is often more interesting when results don't match the theories.

"This is an important result, and it should earn Peter Higgs a Nobel prize. But it is a pity in a way, because the great advances in physics have come from experiments that gave results we didn't expect," he said.

He also said he lost $100 on the find - having bet that something else even more amazing would turn up instead.

"I had a bet with Gordon Kane of Michigan University that the Higgs particle wouldn't be found. It seems I have just lost 100 dollars," he said.

LINK

Maybe some day people can learn to not call it the god particle.

Please please stop calling it that instead of parroting away.

• Like 2

Confident, but not 100% sure. more experiments still needed.

On something this significant the experiments will continue indefinately.

People use the expression "god" all the time for all sorts of things. I think "god particle" is expressive and descriptive, albeit a bit trite, it is certainly not something God would object to.

Maybe some day people can learn to not call it the god particle.

Please please stop calling it that instead of parroting away.

what else you guna call it? The thing? The particle? Life?

what else you guna call it? The thing? The particle? Life?

Eum, maybe after the discoverers : Brout and Englert

or the second discoverer whose name was used because some article quoted him first instead of the other first two : Higgs

instead of calling it after a misunderstanding of a silly journalist who obviously didn't understand the first thing about physics and doesn't even understand grammer nor spelling since no one ever called it the God- particle..some scientist just mentioned something along the lines "finding that godamn particle" and an idiot reporter ran with it to make it this sensational religious thing.

It's plain stupid.

Edited by Render
  • Like 1

It's plain stupid.

Obviously it offends you; lots of things in life offend us. The use may or may not persist, I rather hope it does as I think it conveys nicely how important it is for stuff to be able to exist.

Obviously it offends you; lots of things in life offend us. The use may or may not persist, I rather hope it does as I think it conveys nicely how important it is for stuff to be able to exist.

Yes, you're right. It obviously annoys me. It has multiple reasons. Mainly because it again limits understanding of science. There are a lot of annoying people out there who all like to bring up the topic of "ohh they found the god particle, isn't it great .. stuff is about to change big time"

and then you ask "what is the god particle"

and they go "well, it's the last particle that scientist found so we can now prove god exists"

ugh.

They wouldn't answer that if everyone would just call it the Higgs or Brout-Englert-Higgs.

They wouldn't say "well, its the particle that proves higgs exists".

Also, it's again an example of stupid journalists who have no clue about what they are writing and they try to spin into something it is not, and then everyone just goes along with it without thinking it through.

"yeah it's the god particle it;s like super explanatory of everything because God made it derp derp derp"

At school there are classes in the exact sciences that we have to take to build up communication skills so we can make ourselves understandable to journalists. Those classes are freaking annoying and they just have no purpose, cuz dumbass journalists will write what they want to get an audience and no one gives a damn.

whew, really needed to get that off my chest :lol:

but yanno, on the other hand maybe the sensational aspect did help to bring some attention towards it. So perhaps it evens out in the end.

Edited by Render

god particle sounds like its 'a piece of god'

Maybe it is.

Maybe we too ... are