Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Most Religious US State Is ...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,892 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

lets see. many say a comunity that lives below povery line means crime\drug ridden comunity, like gettos\projects railer parks. it may be true, however.

there is a town\comunity in upstate new york, a religious jewish comunity, that has highest poverty rate in usa, yet crime is almost none existant, i wonder does religion has anything to do with it??? i think it does.

http://en.wikipedia...._Joel,_New_York

RESIDENT TROLL.

#17    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostHasina, on 14 February 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

Notice I said 'either' list. Don't put words in my mouth.

My bad. When I read it I read "list, either" instead of "either list" . Sorry about that.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#18    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,683 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Mississippi is thick country. Many southern states are traditionally religious. It's apart of the southern culture.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#19    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,376 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 14 February 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Mississippi, Tennessee, Liousiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are in the top 10 most uneducated states in America.  Coinicidence?  I don't know.

Not going into the religious part of this,but i am from Louisiana (which you misspelled,so much for higher education) only if we all could be like california with all it's highly educated yet the state is bankrupt beyond recognition.Michigan with 2 of the most violent poverty ridden cities in the whole world inside it's borders.Ahhhh......What will we ignorant redneck's ever do.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#20    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,944 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Jinkies folks, chill out with the bashing. We can have a civilized discussion about this subject without being so nasty.

#21    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I wasnt suprised Oregon was one of the least religious States along with Washington. With the legalization of MMP's its getting real hard to get off our lazy bums to make it into the churches.

#22    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,551 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

The statistics do not reveal what percentage of the religious population is native to each state.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#23    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostJ. K., on 14 February 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

The statistics do not reveal what percentage of the religious population is native to each state.
They did say this:
The just-released state-religion results are based on more than 348,000 interviews with adults ages 18 and older conducted from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2012, as part of Gallup Daily tracking. The results were weighted to be representative of each state's adult population by gender, age, race, Hispanic ethnicity and education, based on Census data.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#24    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,320 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postrashore, on 14 February 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

Jinkies folks, chill out with the bashing. We can have a civilized discussion about this subject without being so nasty.
Well said :tu:

*Posts Removed*

Posted Image

#25    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,349 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Whenever you get religion and non-believers together, you are almost always heading towards a battle of wits or words. I am a very well known Atheist on these forums. I know because it is mainly a clash of ideology between two groups.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#26    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,708 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostBama13, on 14 February 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

So you equate religious people to uneducated people?

Pope Benedict has a PhD and was a university professor.

I just attended a religious-based luncheon of about 200 retired GE engineers and scientists.

Edited by Rafterman, 15 February 2013 - 03:04 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#27    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,675 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostRafterman, on 15 February 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Pope Benedict has a PhD and was a university professor.

I just attended a religious-based luncheon of about 200 retired GE engineers and scientists.

I didn't equate religious people with uneducated people. Another poster did. But I agree with you that there isn't a correlation.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#28    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,708 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostBama13, on 15 February 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

I didn't equate religious people with uneducated people. Another poster did. But I agree with you that there isn't a correlation.

I didn't mean for it to come off that way.  My post was more in support of your comment.

Just trying to shoot a few holes in the emerging meme that religious = uneducated or ignorant.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#29    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,269 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

I wonder if anyone has ever studied to see if there is a correlation between religion and age, and, more significantly, religion when one was in one's twenties and when in one's later years.

I started off religious and became less so, my parents did the opposite.

#30    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• 1,551 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 15 February 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

I wonder if anyone has ever studied to see if there is a correlation between religion and age, and, more significantly, religion when one was in one's twenties and when in one's later years.

I started off religious and became less so, my parents did the opposite.

I would bet the Barna Group has.  They've been collecting statistics involving religion for years.

This is just an informal observation.  In most churches that I've attended over the years, the twenty-something group has been the least involved.  It appears that people tend to leave religion after they move from home, and then return to religion upon having children.  Again, this is just a generality.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users