Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Portuguese Men O'War invade the Mediterranean

Still Waters

The Portuguese Man O' War, one of the world's most poisonous jellyfish, has been spotted off Spanish beaches for the first time in ten years.

linked-imageRead more...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schizoidwoman

• Mattshark

• keithisco

• Queen in the North

The photo that accompanies that article is wonderful...

linked-image

Taken from source.

Awww look at the little blighter.

linked-image

Taken from source.

Awww look at the little blighter.

I want one!

These little guys pack a hell of a punch. I was hit by a jelly years ago (no idea what kind) and man did it hurt. These guys will be keeping people out of the water if this becomes there migration pattern. I hear the beachs in Spain are awesome...

I want one!

I want some crazy peta members to re-create the face hugger scene from Alien with one.

These little guys pack a hell of a punch. I was hit by a jelly years ago (no idea what kind) and man did it hurt. These guys will be keeping people out of the water if this becomes there migration pattern. I hear the beachs in Spain are awesome...

They have some great beaches, but some horrific tourist resorts.

They have some great beaches, but some horrific tourist resorts.

Funny I have heard that to, what a shame...

I can't imagine what swimming through a colony of these guys would do to you but I imagine multiple stings could be the end.

I can't imagine what swimming through a colony of these guys would do to you but I imagine multiple stings could be the end.

After the first couple of stings, I doubt much swimming would be occurring...

I saw those in rocky point Mexico, but they were like mini ones. Some guy who went with us got one of them tentacles wrapped around his legs and constricted his leg while stinging him...horrible things.

Mmmm a colony of colonies (PM'oW are colonial animals) and is not actually a jellyfish nor are they fatal.

I saw those in rocky point Mexico, but they were like mini ones. Some guy who went with us got one of them tentacles wrapped around his legs and constricted his leg while stinging him...horrible things.

They don't constrict, the stings (little harpoon like structures called nematocysts) fire automatically on contact but they have absolutely no method of constriction.

Just to add, what exactly is there unusual about these being Spain? They are very well known in the Med, just because people haven't seen them doesn't mean they have not been there.

And its venom, not poison!

Edited by Mattshark

^*sigh* Science is sexy.

I think that these are one of the prettiest creatures in the entire ocean and the first and foremost reason I don't swim there. I wish I had diving experience, there is something different about being submerged in the ocean than being vulnerable right on top not knowing whats under you.

I saw their tentacles move themselves in shallow waters. The guys leg had a perfect ring around his thighs that swelled up.

I just looked at it again and I promise I would have a very hard time not touching it if I saw one in person.

Mmmm a colony of colonies (PM'oW are colonial animals) and is not actually a jellyfish nor are they fatal.

They don't constrict, the stings (little harpoon like structures called nematocysts) fire automatically on contact but they have absolutely no method of constriction.

Just to add, what exactly is there unusual about these being Spain? They are very well known in the Med, just because people haven't seen them doesn't mean they have not been there.

And its venom, not poison!

No, they dont constrict but in common with the jellyfish when you get stung the stingers and somtimes the entire tentacle structure that it is attached breaks off with the tendency to adhere to other parts of the body as well. This causes multiple stings to the unfortunate. There have been several recorded cases of fatalities from the blighters with the venom (or poison, it's a difference of semantics) interrupting heart and lung function.

These are very infrequent visitors to the Spanish coastline and only occurs when the wind is in the right direction and for an extended period to blow them through the Straits of Gibraltar from the Atlantic.

Just keep away from those tourist resorts frquented by the Northern European nationals during July and August or go to those smaller resorts that frequented more by the Spanish. The food will be much better, the beaches less crowded , and considerably less drunkeness on public display.

I can recommend dozens of great beach resorts on the Southern Coasts - Tarifa is a particular fovourite of mine.

Beautiful but deadly. Dangerous sea creatures care me more than land ones really.

No, they dont constrict but in common with the jellyfish when you get stung the stingers and somtimes the entire tentacle structure that it is attached breaks off with the tendency to adhere to other parts of the body as well. This causes multiple stings to the unfortunate. There have been several recorded cases of fatalities from the blighters with the venom (or poison, it's a difference of semantics) interrupting heart and lung function.

These are very infrequent visitors to the Spanish coastline and only occurs when the wind is in the right direction and for an extended period to blow them through the Straits of Gibraltar from the Atlantic.

No venom is an offensive injected toxin, poison is a defensive and mainly ingested toxin, there is a distinct difference. Hence Man'O war is a venom as it is used to hunt food.

As far as I am aware the PMOW is only fatal if you suffer an allergic reaction.

No venom is an offensive injected toxin, poison is a defensive and mainly ingested toxin, there is a distinct difference. Hence Man'O war is a venom as it is used to hunt food.

Wiki says that deaths from man-o-war stings are rare, and seems to be saying that the deaths are either from sting-induced shock (and similar effects) or from allergic reactions to it. It does sound very painful, though.

Either way, you can die from pretty much anything if you have an allergic reaction that's serious enough, can't you?

Wiki also suggests this line of treatment:

(a) to avoid any further contact with the Portuguese Man O' War and to carefully remove any remnants of the creature from the skin using an object(taking care not to touch them directly with fingers or any other part of the skin to avoid secondary stinging); then[...]

Well you aren't going to give it a hug, are you!

Matt - I understand the difference, but I also understood what the poster was saying.

From Wiki:

Venomous, as stated above, refers to animals that deliver (often, inject) venom into their prey when hunting or as a defense mechanism.

Poisonous, on the other hand, describes plants or animals that are harmful when consumed or touched.[4] A poison tends to be distributed over a large part of the body of the organism producing it, while venom is typically produced in organs specialized for the purpose.[5] One species of bird, the hooded pitohui, although not venomous, is poisonous, secreting a neurotoxin onto its skin and feathers

So I think it is a fairly fine distinction in the case of the PMOW, in so much as it doesnt actively hunt, and neither is the poison / venom distributed over a large part of the body. BUT is is officially classed as a venomous species.

Anyway - the important thing is to understand what the poster was saying I think.

Edited by keithisco

I got nailed by the man o'war while swimming in San Carlos Mexico, it felt like the devil himself had ahold of me for a while. Its a shame they can hurt you so badly, they are gorgeous.

Edited by MirrorImage

I got nailed by the man o'war while swimming in San Carlos Mexico, it felt like the devil himself had ahold of me for a while. Its a shame they can hurt you so badly, they are gorgeous.

You got suckered by one of those guys? Ouch! :no:

Ooh, poor you!

I hate those things! They're ugly, and on top of that, dangerous.

I hate those things! They're ugly, and on top of that, dangerous.

I think they are beautiful creatures.