Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Are humans getting less intelligent?

humans dumber intelligence

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#46    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Cremo was right. Devolution is real.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#47    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 13 November 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

Polymaths (people who were good at a lot of things) are dying out.

Eg. My Dad; a carpenter, woodworker, plumber, electrician, car mechanic, heavy duty mechanic, millwright, welder & fabricator, machine operator, tree faller, saw mill designer (the list goes on and on).

We're not getting less intelligent, just more specialized. Sure, there were better people in any of those one fields. Now, those people who were adept in all those fields (or any other list of fields) are getting fewer.

In short, I'd rather have someone with experience, than someone who's an 'expert'.

Sounds like you're read some Robert Heinlein (of Starship Trooper fame)

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

http://en.wikiquote....ert_A._Heinlein

#48    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Children are no longer taught cursive writing in school.

Nor should they be, it is a useless skill in today's world. They should be taught how to print, then once they have mastery of the written language, they immediately should be taught how to keyboard.

Look around you at the next meeting you attend. If you are like most, everyone around will be using a laptop, or will be PRINTING their notes on a notepad. No need for cursive writing any longer. Time is better spent learning how to use a keyboard.

But then who would help raise said children?

Marriage may be adaptive in a species with complex social structures, as it might ensure that greater resources and focus can be devoted to raising children successfully. It makes sense to have long-term partnerships, considering the relatively long childhood, and greater helplessness during childhood, humans display compared to other species.

How did we ever survive without marriage then? well, here's how. The pair bond seems to last, biologically, for about 5-7 years. I think it is no coincidence that this is the amount of time it takes a child to achieve self sufficiency to the point where it does not need constant care.

I think that, biologically, we are serial monogamists.

Since we as a species have purposely evolved technology as a method of self preservation, our abilities have become more focused and perhaps less generalized. Indeed, there is more emphasis on attaining higher levels of education in order to assure vocational capabilities in a world where Moore's Law argues the doubling of digital density occurs every two years. The masses who live in urban jungles have perhaps lost the ability to survive in the rural jungles and have certainly lost the joy of commuting with nature.

I think you mean "communing." Unless you are talking about driving to work with some flowers in your car or something. Or maybe there's something in this Moore's law about riding around with grass in your pockets?

Polymaths (people who were good at a lot of things) are dying out.

I am not so sure about this. I think that the things that we are good at are changing, but I think that human beings are still good at many things. For instance, I can write XML, HTML, fix my motorcycle, clean my shotgun, install flooring, take care of children, set up and maintain aquariums, etc. etc. Not to mention the various different things I do at work...

Edited by Neognosis, 14 November 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#49    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

well I could have come up with this theory..heck.

#50    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

View Postredhen, on 14 November 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Sounds like you're read some Robert Heinlein (of Starship Trooper fame)

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

http://en.wikiquote....ert_A._Heinlein
I could do all of those except design a building, and I don't know what "conn" means. I am so dumb...

Posted Image

#51    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Look around you at the next meeting you attend. If you are like most, everyone around will be using a laptop, or will be PRINTING their notes on a notepad. No need for cursive writing any longer. Time is better spent learning how to use a keyboard.

Not learning to write cursive or even read cursive writing is just one more step in devolution, the dumbing down of the populace, one less skill that humans possess.

#52    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Not learning to write cursive or even read cursive writing is just one more step in devolution, the dumbing down of the populace, one less skill that humans possess.

Absolutely NOT.

I don't know how to write cuneiform or hieroglyphs either. Why? Because, like cursive writing, they are OBSOLETE.

we are turning kids out who don't have proper computer skills and who can't type. Oh, but they can write in curly, fancy handwriting? Well done. That'll serve them well...

There are only so many hours in a day. Do we use that time to teach them how to write in an obsolete style that most people don't use, and don't need to use? Or do we teach them proper basic computing and keyboarding?

Not really time for both.

The answer should be OBVIOUS.

Failure to teach basic computing and keyboarding, while teaching cursive writing instead, IS devolution. It is, by definition, FAILURE to adapt to a new scenario.

#53    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

In your opinion.

#54    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

As far as I can remember they were always this stupid, no offence :P

#55    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

I think this article is kinda misleading. With Google at our fingertips, I'll bet we are getting a little more "educated" as a race than ever. Used to require timely visits to the library or asking a professional.

Maybe some of our common sense is degenerating, especially as more and more things become automated for us (motion sensors in restrooms, online bills, and eventually our cars will drive us).

I've always thought Wall-E probably has a pretty accurate scope of what our future may resemble. Not so much the doomsday-garbage-scenario, but technological automation for humans to the point that they are fat, lazy, and inactive.

#56    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Really? It's just my opinion that limited time is better allocated to a skill that kids will need, rather than one that serves no purpose?

I suppose it is my opinion, but pretty much just like it's also my opinion that being lit on fire is painful.

#57    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

where me sock s

TCB

#58    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

EternalSeer

• 4,086 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Do we really have to even ask?

#59    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 14 November 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Absolutely NOT.

I don't know how to write cuneiform or hieroglyphs either. Why? Because, like cursive writing, they are OBSOLETE.

we are turning kids out who don't have proper computer skills and who can't type. Oh, but they can write in curly, fancy handwriting? Well done. That'll serve them well...

There are only so many hours in a day. Do we use that time to teach them how to write in an obsolete style that most people don't use, and don't need to use? Or do we teach them proper basic computing and keyboarding?

Not really time for both.

The answer should be OBVIOUS.

Failure to teach basic computing and keyboarding, while teaching cursive writing instead, IS devolution. It is, by definition, FAILURE to adapt to a new scenario.

Yes, we are living in a digital age and times move on, but young kids still need to learn how to put a pencil to paper and be able to write, not fancy, but basic neat handwriting..   Not every kid will have a PC at home

My 7 year old  is learning both at her primary school..  Basic keyboard skills and  how to write proper sentences on paper...I do however  most certainly agree, that keyboard skills are essential  in this day and age..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 14 November 2012 - 11:18 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#60    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Yes, we are living in a digital age and times move on, but young kids still need to learn how to put a pencil to paper and be able to write, not fancy, but basic neat handwriting..   Not every kid will have a PC at home

They have to learn how to print first... and if they can print, they can put pencil to paper and be able to write neat, not fancy, but basic neat handwriting. Just not cursive.

As for every kid not having a PC at home, that's EVEN MORE reason that they need to learn how to use one, how to type on one, how to write and respond to an email, write a paper, use a spreadsheet... at school.

I think you and I probably agree.

Also tagged with humans, dumber, intelligence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users