Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Higgs Boson 'God' particle discovered

Saru

Hadron Collider scientists have confirmed that they have discovered the elusive Higgs Boson particle.

Scientists say it is a 5 sigma result which means they are 99. 999% sure they have found a new particle. Finding the Higgs plugs a gaping hole in the Standard Model, the theory that describes all the particles, forces and interactions that make up the universe.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

I can hear the nerd-gasms happening all around the world as we speak.

• Like 4

I bet geeks worldwide blew their god-particles in their pants when they read this..

• Like 1

Is there any technology that we can gain from this?

Is there any technology that we can gain from this?

I don't see it in the foreseeable future. Not all discoveries lead to consumer products either. Some lead to greater understanding and help us refine our models, hypotheses, and theories. Some practical device might come, but it's hard to tell when. Quantum Mechanics, for instance, got it's beginnings in the 1920's but a consumer product which used its principles didn't show up until the 1980's (the cell phone). Same goes for General Relativity introduced in 1916 (as far as a practical product in the home). Maybe in 2072 we'll have some product such as an anti-gravity skateboard (waaaay behind the back to the future timeline).

• Like 1

I did :blush: Though I didn't think they would find it (I know it's not confirmed by enough sources yet but looks pretty solid). I thought they found something similar, but not THE higgs boson. In terms of rejoicing, you can say that followers of the standard model are doing that. You gotta hand it to Higgs and his team, they predicted this 60 years ago and it came to pass.

Well, a great find. Looking forward to more news on this as time goes on.

OOOh yes....nerd-gasm.... ahhhh. LOL You never know what you might get from pure science like this, maybe we will at last get a the long awaited Star Trek replicator.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

Well done lads, can we now send the same team off to find Bigfoot?

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Its a good thing they are not 100% sure as wasn't there some kind of hooey about the world ending if the god particle was found. :w00t:

You know what I don't buy it. I don't think found it. I think there trying to cover there butts for wasting time and money.

Anyone else notice there not 100% sure they found it??

just sayin :P

You know what I don't buy it. I don't think found it. I think there trying to cover there butts for wasting time and money.

just sayin :P

Thats called science.
  • Like 1

Science doesn't deal in absolutes. The current number is 99.99994% certain it's not an error. If a scientist was asked what are the chances humans exist, they wouldn't answer 100% :P Absolutes are a matter of Religion.

Now they need more experiments at the energy levels that yielded the boson and figure out more about it (such as the spin). All the data is open for the world to inspect, analyze and see if there are different conclusions based on it. Extremely unlikely though.

Edited by ranrod
  • Like 2

Saru, your title is terribly misleading.

no one at the conference said they've found the higgs boson

what was said bassically is that they've found A boson that is at the same coordinates they expect the higgs boson to be.

No absolute conclusions are drawn, only that we are on the right track and that further testing is necessary.

Edited by Render
  • Like 1

So god was found and he is in Switzerland??? Where else one could hide his/hers assets?

I don't see it in the foreseeable future. Not all discoveries lead to consumer products either. Some lead to greater understanding and help us refine our models, hypotheses, and theories. Some practical device might come, but it's hard to tell when. Quantum Mechanics, for instance, got it's beginnings in the 1920's but a consumer product which used its principles didn't show up until the 1980's (the cell phone). Same goes for General Relativity introduced in 1916 (as far as a practical product in the home). Maybe in 2072 we'll have some product such as an anti-gravity skateboard (waaaay behind the back to the future timeline).

Thanks for the explanation, I understand that better now.

I did think being more advanced now might help though.

Do you think this will change space travel as the particle is faster than light isn't it?

Saru, your title is terribly misleading.

no one at the conference said they've found the higgs boson

what was said bassically is that they've found A boson that is at the same coordinates they expect the higgs boson to be.

No absolute conclusions are drawn, only that we are on the right track and that further testing is necessary.

You are absolutely right about this. I didn't want to nitpick in a layman's site though :geek:

The boson identity comes from the decay channel and the energy level, not the coordinates. Analyzing the angular distribution of the decay products on further experiments they can determine the spin. This is important since that's the next prediction: its spin will be zero.

Edited by ranrod

Thanks for the explanation, I understand that better now.

I did think being more advanced now might help though.

Do you think this will change space travel as the particle is faster than light isn't it?

No the higgs boson does not move faster than light. Maybe you're referring to a different experiment? Some scientists at CERN though they measured neutrinos going faster than light a few months back, but it ended up being a loose wire :hmm: They didn't announce or proclaim they had discovered such. They reached out to the scientific community to help them figure out where the error laid. The "reaching out" message got blown out of proportion by the media organizations.

The question if we can gain any technology from it at this point is quite irrelevant, more relevant is that it is another piece that we could fit in the puzzle of uncertainties and that this way we can confirm certain assumption that did not get out of the theory status and discard others.

• Like 1

This will open up a whole lot more questions.

No the higgs boson does not move faster than light. Maybe you're referring to a different experiment? Some scientists at CERN though they measured neutrinos going faster than light a few months back, but it ended up being a loose wire :hmm: They didn't announce or proclaim they had discovered such. They reached out to the scientific community to help them figure out where the error laid. The "reaching out" message got blown out of proportion by the media organizations.

A loose wire! LOL How funny. I heard it through someone who read it in an article, so it's the usual media doing a fine job at reportingl. Shame that could have opened up some new possibilities.

Edited by Coffey

I am sure that the creationists will come up with some other such BS explanation to justify their ridiculous beliefs, regardless of what science finds.

Great find, anyway. This opens a lot of doors.

• Like 1

Hey! Watch that "nerd-gasms" stuff, my friend. I actually cried when I read the news. I love science, and I am thrilled that this occurred in my lifetime. (Oh, God...I really am a nerd. And probably a dweeb, too. And a dork. :P )

in related news:

Higgs Boson: Prof Stephen Hawking loses $100 bet

When Peter Higgs first proposed that an invisible field strewn across space gave mass to the building blocks of the universe, the theory was ridiculed by some of the most respected minds of the time.

read more

• Like 1