Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Centuries-old frozen plants revived

bryophytes little ice age plants ecosystems planet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,649 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Plants that were frozen during the "Little Ice Age" centuries ago have been observed sprouting new growth, scientists say.

Samples of 400-year-old plants known as bryophytes have flourished under laboratory conditions.

Researchers say this back-from-the-dead trick has implications for how ecosystems recover from the planet's cyclic long periods of ice coverage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22656239

Posted Image

#2    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,923 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

There are at least two cases of lupine seeds having been germinated after being recovered from 10,000-year-old lemming middens.  That's either suspended animation or something very close to it.  If not in suspended animation, those seeds would have been respiring at a rate of about two molecules per minute.

Goose-berries have remained alive in a laboratory jar for over 75 years stored at room temperature.

Some plants seems to be able to die, then be resurrected.  Maybe the Christians are onto something.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,370 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Interesting article linked by Still Waters and also the comment from Doug ^^^

Edited by pallidin, 29 May 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#4    goodgodno

goodgodno

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• Explore. Dream. Discover.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

On a similar note, frozen woolly mammouth blood has been found for the first time in Russia that is in such a good state of preservation it can be used for cloning.  They're looking to do exactly this in South Korea (if what I am reading is correct)

#5    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Bryophytes are mosses if I remember correctly, and mosses are tough plants. They can be desiccated, sun baked, frozen, etcetera and then revived when placed in a suitable environment. These particular species were already from a cold climate and probably got frozen on a regular basic under normal conditions. No doubt things like lichens and algae could live much longer and still revive when better times came along.

If terraforming other planets ever becomes a reality it will be tough organisms like these, perhaps genetically modified, that likely will be used.

#6    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

I would love to see what this plant looks like, if it is any different than plants living now.  It's a fascinating thought that something from centuries or even longer ago can be resurrected.

#7    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,581 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 29 May 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

I would love to see what this plant looks like, if it is any different than plants living now.  It's a fascinating thought that something from centuries or even longer ago can be resurrected.

It's only 400 years old, almost certainly it is identical to species extant today near the same area.

#8    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Really cool to get a peak so far into the past but I hope we are not resurrecting something we can't handle.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#9    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,923 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

name='moonshadow60' timestamp='1369853238' post='4792967'

http://www.pnas.org/...0.full.pdf html

Doug

Edited by Doug1o29, 01 June 2013 - 04:43 PM.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#10    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,923 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostSundew, on 30 May 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

It's only 400 years old, almost certainly it is identical to species extant today near the same area.
Here's a link to The Old List:

http://www.ldeo.colu...dk/oldlisteast/

It's a little bit out of date, though.  There's an older shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata) from southwest Missouri that dates to 1580 (414 years old).  There's an eastern red-cedar Juniperus virginana) from Henyretta, Oklahoma that is 605 years old and I have a core from another one in the same area that was 305 years old in 2009.
Doug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users