Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Was Uffington White Horse really a unicorn?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 28 December 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

It would be funny if they put an horn on it then found out it was a cat.

it's a religious symbol and its there attempt at catching the spirit of a horse, or a horse in motion, there were no big cats in Britain at this time they had the Lynx and the British wild cat and the Uffington horse doesn't look like either.

Then explain the fangs/whiskers.

It could have been a big cat, and one that doesn't live in Britain.

The image could have been made by Phoenicians of whom is known that they visited the tin mines in southern Britain?

And this is a photo of a British wild cat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Abramelin, 28 December 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#32    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,939 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 December 2011 - 01:29 AM, said:

A 'horn'.

Only a true idot would suggest something like that.

But this site is filled to the brim with people believing any kind of crap that will suit their fancy.

Come on: the image looks nothing like a horse.

Not like a horse where I live, anyway.

Ok, so the image does not really look like a horse, it's just called a horse. If it is a horse or not, yes, very idiotic of the folks that wanted to put a horn on the critter to suit their fancy. I sort of doubt any of those people are on this site though, I think we would have seen the argument for putting on a horn if that was the case.

#33    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,842 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

A modern white horse (2004) Folkestone, Kent.

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#34    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,536 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 27 December 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

Yeah, that's even better:

Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostAbramelin, on 27 December 2011 - 06:36 PM, said:

Lol, then those things would be really huge lips.Man, the Uffington horse looks nothing like a horse.

Either the socalled 'repairs' throughout the ages destroyed the original horse-image beyond recognition, or it was never meant to depict a horse.

I didn't want to post it in the "Oera Linda" thread, but it could be one of Freya's cats (she drove a carriage pulled by cats). In that thread I tried to explain that one of the alternative names for the 'Heel Stone' (in Stonehenge), 'Freya's He-ol' is nothing but 'Freya's Hall' or Sessrumnir, an alternative name some Nordic gave to Stonehenge.

Posted Image

Interesting speculation about it being a depiction of a cat of some kind and what you said about Freya's cats.

There certainly is a cat like look to it.

I always thought it could be a sylized dragon....and having another good look at it now.....the V and the (possible) horns

I am going to chuck horned serpent/snake into the mix as a possibility...

(with the 'legs' being a later addition)

http://www.google.co...iw=1440&bih=719

I have seen a replica of the Uffington land figure in America, on Google Maps...and I will try and find it again

as it a while back since I saw it.

Posted Image

#35    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

The current stylized 'horse' form has only been recorded from the early 1800s - typically by Lyson in 1813, who also suggested a saddle.  While there may be some doubt as to the accuracy of his work, the Rev Francis Wise depicted a very different figure around in 1738; although correspondence by a Dr Pococke in 1757 also suggests a filled-out body.  One written account by Ralf de Deceto from 1180 (although de Deceto would apparently have been 10 when he wrote this) suggested a different figure again of a horse and foal.
Repeated scouring has inadvertently subtly morphed the overall figure, and recent Optical Stimulated Luminescence examination indicates the figure has slowly been moved up the hill since the Bronze Age and onto a shallower slope.  The current prominent eye (itself centred on a blind spring) is a relatively recent addition.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#36    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Here's some of the coins,

Attached Files

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#37    Ct Scarlet

Ct Scarlet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

Hi,

New here.

I've been up that hill several times. Some interesting notes I can share.

1/ " That's the first horse I've seen with a forked tongue"... came to mind on my first visit many years ago.

2/ The small ( about 150 ft across ) hillock across DRAGONHILL ROAD is DRAGON HILL  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Hill,_Uffington
Don't believe what Wikipedia says, its NOT natural. The materials used to constructed it were taken from the adjoining hillside where there is a flat area now.

3/ One person standing on Dragon Hill, will clearly see another person standing on the 'Horse's??' eye. The pathway off Dragon hill points directly at the Horse's ?? eye. Check it out on Google Earth.
Just before sunrise on the Vernal equinox, ( If the hill fort hadn't have been built at a more recent date, spoiling the view ), the two persons in their positions would point to Sirius rising over the hillside, AT AN EARLIER DATE THAN TEXT BOOKS SAY THE HORSE ?? WAS CUT.

What does this mean and what is a dragon? A dragon is a mythical creature that can fly and belches out fire and smoke and sets the trees alight. Dragons also have the reputation of being spiny and having a forked tongue. VTOL aircraft set the trees alight if the are not careful where they hover. Why are the small hillock, the path and the dragons eye lined to point at Sirius????

#38    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,377 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

View PostCt Scarlet, on 30 December 2011 - 08:32 AM, said:

Hi,

New here.

1/ " That's the first horse I've seen with a forked tongue"... came to mind on my first visit many years ago.

2/ The small ( about 150 ft across ) hillock across DRAGONHILL ROAD is DRAGON HILL  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Hill,_Uffington
Don't believe what Wikipedia says, its NOT natural. The materials used to constructed it were taken from the adjoining hillside where there is a flat area now.

3/ One person standing on Dragon Hill, will clearly see another person standing on the 'Horse's??' eye. The pathway off Dragon hill points directly at the Horse's ?? eye. Check it out on Google Earth.
Just before sunrise on the Vernal equinox, ( If the hill fort hadn't have been built at a more recent date, spoiling the view ), the two persons in their positions would point to Sirius rising over the hillside, AT AN EARLIER DATE THAN TEXT BOOKS SAY THE HORSE ?? WAS CUT.

What does this mean and what is a dragon? A dragon is a mythical creature that can fly and belches out fire and smoke and sets the trees alight. Dragons also have the reputation of being spiny and having a forked tongue. VTOL aircraft set the trees alight if the are not careful where they hover. Why are the small hillock, the path and the dragons eye lined to point at Sirius????
Welcome!
I don't think it is a dragon.

#39    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,536 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hi,

New here.

nice first post Ct Scarlet....welcome to the forum.

mmmmmmmmmmmm Sirius....

that whole area....extending to Avebury and Silbury Hill etc is choc-a-bloc with mystery.

Have you heard about Silbury maybe being a white pyramid originally?

When I have more time I'm going to get my maps out and have a look at alignments with Dragon Hill and Silbury Hill.

:tu:

Posted Image

#40    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Hi,
New here.
Welcome to UM.

Would you care to provide references for your ideas on the construction of Dragon Hill itself, and the date when the Uffington White Horse was constructed?  

The notion that the path onto Dragon Hill is an alignment with the modern eye of the Bronze-Age horse is ambiguous at best, and actually inaccurate.

Notwithstanding that the Iron-Age hill-fort is not behind the claimed alignment between Dragon Hill and the Horse's eye; equally inaccurate are the ideas/statements on an alignment to the rising of Sirius over the hill before dawn at the northern vernal equinox.  Sirius isn't rising before dawn in the spring (any planetarium program illustrates this), and certainly isn't going to rise almost due south.

As for the inferred connections between mythical dragons and contemporary VTOL aircraft - no further comment.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#41    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Dragon Hill and Dragon Road may have been named after what people thought was a huge depiction of a dragon.

Maybe next century they will call it "Cat Hill" and ""Cat Road", lol.

#42    thalassinus

thalassinus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

meh

Edited by thalassinus, 07 January 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#43    thalassinus

thalassinus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

...in this they state that It has been referred to as a 'horse' since the 11th-Century. and then go on to say that they think it would have been removed by over-zealous Christian scholars in the 13th or 14th centuries....

im pretty sure then, they would not of called it horse in 11th, if it still had a horn at this time....

#44    acute

acute

The Hedgeless Hoglet

• 2,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 December 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

Then explain the fangs/whiskers.

It could have been a big cat, and one that doesn't live in Britain.

The image could have been made by Phoenicians of whom is known that they visited the tin mines in southern Britain?

And this is a photo of a British wild cat:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Ok, I'm convinced!
It's some kind of cat, possibly a big cat.

Britain has had some wild and exotic animals in the past, and they may have entered into folklore.

Edited by acute alan, 07 January 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#45    spooki

spooki

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

To me the body of the animal does indeed look much like horses in the more "older" style.. I am thinking of some Chinese horses and the like that I have seen here and there. They did seem to have that elongated body style often, or at least that is my interpretation of many of them.

However, I do have to say that the lips/whiskers/tongue...cigar maybe? (lol jk) is rather odd. I am not sure what to make of that. Perhaps a look into the local folklore of the area to see what animals were important to them and such would clear it up more. As ashamed as I am to admit as my family is from that region it is one I know little about when it comes to folklore and the like lol.

I do agree though that making any changes to it would be utter destruction and certainly serve no positive purpose.

Okinawa Paranormal Files: Research Team

Respecting the Past and Looking to the Future

Find us on Facebook!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users