Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Should Westboro BC be classed a hate group ?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Well, my 2-cents worth:

Wanting to protest around funerals of those 1st graders and other Sandy Hook victims is just plain SICK.

I do consider WBC a "hate group", but I also even more so consider them INSANE.

#17    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I say take away their tax exempt status.  They are not a church, they involve themselves in too many insane practices that is purely to promote hate and people are learning to hate them.  They have no respect for anyone but themselves and their views are the only ones that count.

My problem with classifying them as a hate group is how the line would be defined between being hateful speech or just freedom of speech.

#18    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostDredimus, on 28 December 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

And this is where it falls into a technical issue... WHEN does it start to infringe on the rights of others? Im not an advocate for this church as you well know... but looking for the line.
When my future ex-wife was a law student at Washburn U, we lived very close to the WBC

oups pushed the wrong key..

well lemme continue.
We lived next to WBC.  Couple doors up Huntoon st lived a couple of gay guys and nearly everyday I had to tear down signs posted on a huge oak tree on my property.  I received threats nearly everyday too.  I called the cops but was told unless they hurted me they couldn't do anything.  One day while one entered my property, I got out of the house wearing my shoulder harness and my 44... they never came back but once I found my house covered with eggs.  This time the cops came and I received a restraining order.  At the same time the 2 guys did too.  But then they moved out to a more understanding town.  Very intelligent guys.. I miss our chat.

Oups again forgot to say Washburn U is in Topeka (pronounced Topewka :P )

Edited by Paracelse, 28 December 2012 - 06:50 PM.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,016 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostHilander, on 28 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

I say take away their tax exempt status.  They are not a church, they involve themselves in too many insane practices that is purely to promote hate and people are learning to hate them.  They have no respect for anyone but themselves and their views are the only ones that count.

My problem with classifying them as a hate group is how the line would be defined between being hateful speech or just freedom of speech.

Insane practices are no reason to take away their cult status, just have a look at the Appalachian Snake Handlers.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    Cryptid-Seeker

Cryptid-Seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

For what they said about Ronnie James Dio, yes they should. Rock in Peace, Dio.

Posted Image

#21    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 December 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Insane practices are no reason to take away their cult status, just have a look at the Appalachian Snake Handlers.

Snakes handlers don't come to people's home to insult them. WBC members do.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,016 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostParacelse, on 28 December 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Snakes handlers don't come to people's home to insult them. WBC members do.

That is reason to arrest them for harassment, but not to hinder them in the exercise of their believes.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 December 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

That is reason to arrest them for harassment, but not to hinder them in the exercise of their believes.
WBC members are a danger to society.  I often noticed a very high level of  selff-righteousness in your comments even on subject you don't know about, just based on your concept of right and wrong.  I lived 4 years in Topeka, I had a friend who lost her business, a nice little bar in which I often went after closing my restaurant just to unwind.  She had to close because her bar was destroyed by picketing wbs people who opposed her having 2 lesbians waitresses.  When she lost her own place she went to work for another friend of mine (in the food business everybody knew everybody in a small town of 120 000 people).  Those b******* went there and tried to have the business closed.  Luckely the club owner was rich and bought the entire plazza where is club was and imposed manu military a restriction to the access of the plazza.  Those morons bloqued the access.  When 10 were arrested 10 others were coming out from under the bushes.  Oh, and just a reminder, a great numbers of the wb people are lawyers old phelps being one of them.  So please do not make an apologies for criminal behaviors in name of law.  Remember one's freedom stops where starts someone else's.

République No.6

#24    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

But they are peaceful christmas, that spread love and acceptance..How dare you all think they should be branded a HATE group.. If we all showed hate for something that we didn't like, would we all like being branded a hater?

The WBC are doing it all out of love..lol

Goodness that did feel weird.

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 28 December 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#25    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,635 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostDredimus, on 28 December 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

To me, this question cant be answered so cut and dry. If you classify them as a hate group you are in essence attacking their rights to free speech... as far as I know this group has done nothing to be violent. All they have done is protest and scream a message that they believe.... Im not saying I agree with their stance, and as a soldier I find it especially despicable... However, in this country everyone is allowed to voice their opinion. I think the best way to diminish WBC is to be louder than they are. Kevin Smith and the Patriot guard have done an excellent job at this.
On further reflection I have to agree with you Dred.  To just condemn brings no change or healing.  These people spew a despicable message and it can be effectively and non violently countered by each community they burden with their presence.  I don't see them gaining adherents.  I really am disturbed that they call themselves Baptists.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#26    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 4,952 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

i have a better idea, put them all on NO FLY list.
hey if 5 years old kids can be on that list by mistake (keep in mind, you can not be removed from the list), these shmucks deserve to be there.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#27    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostDredimus, on 28 December 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

And this is where it falls into a technical issue... WHEN does it start to infringe on the rights of others? Im not an advocate for this church as you well know... but looking for the line.

Well,where ever the line is.....I do believe,as per most reasonable people ,they have crossed it .
If anyone else dis this,as an individual ,they would be arrested for hate crimes against ...pick a group .
Hate speech is considered dangerous

Miss me?

#28    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 28 December 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Well,al qaeda think all infidels are horrible things ,and they go so far as to kill,or try to kill them .
These people spout stuff,no different that the klu Klux clan ,but even they are smart enough to not do it at funerals businesses,and wear hood ,so no one knows who these ******* idiots are .
Talk like this,is what instigated other towards violence to certain groups .
They're despicable,and inbred scum .May they all burn in hell .

Miss me?

#29    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

View Postand then, on 28 December 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

On further reflection I have to agree with you Dred.  To just condemn brings no change or healing.  These people spew a despicable message and it can be effectively and non violently countered by each community they burden with their presence.  I don't see them gaining adherents.  I really am disturbed that they call themselves Baptists.

I've seen pictures of them with signs that read - The bible values hate...  God hates this and that..It is rather sickening  what these people do..  If they wish to express their hate, they should not use a holy book that many Christians love and express love with it..

I'll tell you something that you may not like much.. My father truly hated gays, and he expressed his hate for gays  BUT he never once used a bible to flaunt his hate...He said he doesn't need a shield  he called it how he saw it.. Using a holy book to express hate for anything or anyone is cowardly ..My father is not that hateful towards gays any more, but I do remember a time when he was..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#30    Maizer

Maizer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Well the one good thing about the Westboro church is that no one gives a **** about them, compared to other hate groups that actually might do violence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users