Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evil spirit cleansing scam rakes in millions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

Detectives say there has been a rash in New York of what's known as an evil spirit or blessing scam, where older immigrant women, mostly Chinese, are swindled out of their valuables by clever scammers arriving from China who prey on superstition and fear. In the past six months, two dozen victims have reported valuables stolen – in some cases more than $10,000 in cash and $13,000 in jewelry, according to police reports. A total of more than $1.8 million has been stolen.

View: Read more

#2    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostThe world needs you, on 07 July 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

Detectives say there has been a rash in New York of what's known as an evil spirit or blessing scam, where older immigrant women, mostly Chinese, are swindled out of their valuables by clever scammers arriving from China who prey on superstition and fear. In the past six months, two dozen victims have reported valuables stolen – in some cases more than $10,000 in cash and $13,000 in jewelry, according to police reports. A total of more than $1.8 million has been stolen.
View: Read more

And this is different from "mainstream religions" exactly how?

Edited by Zaphod222, 07 July 2013 - 05:51 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,609 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

This has been going on in various cultures since time immemorial.  My own mum was told by a friend of a friend who was spiritual that she was cursed, but that she knew someone who could lift it - it was complicated and it would cost about $400.00 to complete the process of reversing the curse over several sessions .... ain't some of the folk we share the earth with just so delightful? Bah.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

What about those who pretend to be Bankers ?

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,060 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 07 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

This has been going on in various cultures since time immemorial.  My own mum was told by a friend of a friend who was spiritual that she was cursed, but that she knew someone who could lift it - it was complicated and it would cost about $400.00 to complete the process of reversing the curse over several sessions .... ain't some of the folk we share the earth with just so delightful? Bah.
One I knew of actually performed slight of hand and made to person think they burned the $300. And was not getting paid at all. It's all free.

Brilliant actually create counterfeit that you exchange for the real thing, then it gets burned.

of course I could be wrong and the witch doctor actually burned the $300... Yeah right!

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,060 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

View Postsergeantflynn, on 07 July 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

What about those who pretend to be Bankers ?
Pfffttttttt! Pretend? Real bankers are crooks. The entire concept is a scam. Lending for interest should be illegal.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,618 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Who would have thought, except it goes on every where.  That is how the guy across the street from me makes his living.  He is a slime ball.    It is legal, too, the county sells licenses for it.  Gives the rest of us witches and wizards a bad name.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

I still can't work out how they're allowed to operate off baseless claims/nothing proven in the history of mankind etc. Is it because people believe they're doing less harm than good? Is it socially acceptable? Yes religion is up there too. People need to open their eyes and let the world move forward. This kind of crap is a severe disadvantage.

Anything of this nature, is a scam. Whether for money or not.

#9    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,807 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 07 July 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Who would have thought, except it goes on every where.  That is how the guy across the street from me makes his living.  He is a slime ball. It is legal, too, the county sells licenses for it.  Gives the rest of us witches and wizards a bad name.

Wha??? What is the license for?

#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,618 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

A believe or not is says he can charge people for psychic readings.  50 bucks and you can rip off anyone you like.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#11    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,807 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

A believe or not is says he can charge people for psychic readings.  50 bucks and you can rip off anyone you like.

So a psychic license? That does sound weird. I guess I could understand a business license, but yeah, a psychic license.. Kind of funny, county scamming a scammer.

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,060 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostTimonthy, on 07 July 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I still can't work out how they're allowed to operate off baseless claims/nothing proven in the history of mankind etc. Is it because people believe they're doing less harm than good? Is it socially acceptable? Yes religion is up there too. People need to open their eyes and let the world move forward. This kind of crap is a severe disadvantage.

Anything of this nature, is a scam. Whether for money or not.
There are legitimate shamanic practices and transpersonal counceling, but yes. trickery should be illegal.

Bruce Lee-

#13    sam_comm

sam_comm

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Alas, for this kind of thing cast shadows of dislike and misgivings upon those who are honest and really want to help people. It affect those who are sincere in what they do and that is a sad thing, whether we believe in those things or not...

Edited by sam_comm, 07 July 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#14    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

A psychic license?  Is it written on psychic paper?

Oh, and how come these folk never win the lottery, or the Belmont stakes?  Hmmmmm, one wonders.

Thse sort f scams have been going on as long as there have been people.  Oracles, seers, witches, psychics, roughly 99% of them are shills and cons.  The remainder are genuine, and usually keep a low profile.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#15    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

'It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money' - Canada Bill Jones.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users