Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police look for childrens bodies

Crazy_Lemons

Former neighbours of a convicted south London paedophile are anxiously awaiting news as police search his garden for bodies.

Leslie Ford-Thrussell, 72, was jailed two years ago for 36 sexual offences.

The back garden of his former home at 107 Walton Green, on Croydon's New Addington estate, is hidden by a wall topped with barbed wire, but neighbours are keen to see what the police discover behind it.

Nicola Nunn, who lives next door, said her daughter Chloe, aged four, regarded Ford-Thrussell as a "granddad".

"He seemed really lovely and polite," Ms Nunn told BBC News.

"He used to invite Chloe over into his garden all the time, giving her sweets and flowers."

It should not be happening, not this close to where my children are

Nicola Nunn

Ms Nunn, who also has an eight-month-old son, said it was terrifying that Ford-Thrussell may have abused children near her home.

"It should not be happening, not this close to where my children are."

A family with two young children moved into the house after Ford-Thrussell was sent to prison, but they left three months ago.

The New Addington estate, a 1,000-acre housing estate, dates back to the 1930s. A maze of tower blocks, terraces and semi-detached homes were built to alleviate a housing shortage.

Another of Ford-Thrussell's neighbours, who did not want to be named, knew him from childhood.

"I used to help out at his landscape gardening business when I was seven," said the neighbour, who is now 35.

At the time, he lived down the road from Ford-Thrussell in Dunley Drive, also in Croydon.

"It was a shock when he was arrested and we found out what he had done.

"I've told the police they should also be looking there," he said.

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, was disturbed by the investigation.

"It's a bit nerve-racking because I have got three children myself," he said.

"I didn't know the man but I want to find out exactly what is going on. I do not want my children to know anything at all about it."

Sorce- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5255934.stm

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kaikou

• Pax Unum

• luminousphoenix

• Theotaurus

"He used to invite Chloe over into his garden all the time, giving her sweets and flowers."

We can only hope she didn't let Chloe go there by herself... :rolleyes:

Will be interesting to hear the outcome....

disgusting

"I didn't know the man but I want to find out exactly what is going on. I do not want my children to know anything at all about it."

This is why the youth of tomorrow is so dull.

Children need to know about these kinds of things.

Withholding valued information only leads further into despair.

Edited by IcarusSolo

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we assume he is guilty just because the polic accuse him of this? Maybe they have an ulterior motive? Or maybe someone else did it and they are trying to find someone to place the blame so they can say case closed? Don't get me wrong when these things really do occur they are one of the most evil vile things imaginable, but not everyone accused of these kind of things or anything for that matter is really quiltyin every instance.

Edited by Theotaurus

This is why the youth of tomorrow is so dull.

Children need to know about these kinds of things.

Withholding valued information only leads further into despair.

I was thinking the very same thing... hiding the facts could just make more children victims, this is naive thinking... IMO

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a newbie. Is there any updates on this story ? It's very interesting. I wonder if they ever found anything in his back yard, I looked online but couldn't find anything about it.

*vomits*

I hope that if convicted Mr. Ford-Thrussell will come to know the true meaning of personal violation.

Police’s grisly garden search finds no bodies

By Gemma Wheatley

Unearthed: Police workers empty more of the garden into skips as they dig for evidence

Police have ended the search for human remains in a garden at the former home of a paedophile and said that they are satisfied there are no bodies there.

It had been alleged in a letter received by the former residents of the New Addington home that the bodies of children were buried in the back garden more than 35 years ago.

However, following a comprehensive search at 107 Walton Green, which lasted almost two weeks, police announced last Friday that the investigation was complete.

The property was the former home of convicted sex abuser Leslie Ford-Thrussell, although he was not thought to be living at the property 35 years ago.

continued...

After calling off the search a police spokesman said: "We have carried out a comprehensive search and we are satisfied there are no human remains there.

"This stage of the investigation is finished. We are now reviewing the situation as a result of information gathered during the investigation."

Last week police pulled the house apart, filling skips with furniture, bath tubs and carpets while the garden was covered by wire mesh fencing as it was ripped up.

It is believed that the letter was sent by a former resident of the house and police confirmed that the author was now being looked after by family liaison officers.

The police base of operations at the scene CR8298

Leslie Ford-Thrussell, 72, was jailed for 12 years in June 2004 for a string of sex offences on nine girls, some as young as six-years-old.

The former landscape gardener was convicted of seven counts of rape and 23 counts of indecent assault over a period of 17 years.

It is thought that he had been living there prior to his conviction after moving into the house when he married long-term resident, Shirley Dedman, whose husband, Stephen, died of cancer in 1985.

During the trial at Croydon Crown Court in July 2004 it was heard that he targeted some of his victims as they went to school, offering them sweets. He also videotaped some of the abuse.

During the search Detective Chief Inspector Mark Stockford told the media that officers had received the letter 12 months ago.

He added that inquiries over the last year and information given to them by the letter's author gave "additional weight" to the inquiry.

However, the search proved fruitless and police were unable to confirm whether any additional charges would be brought forward as a result of the search.

SOURCE