Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sasquatch DNA Study Announcement

Socio

I love this :

We can’t wait decades when scientists start to study this problem, forest people need to be protect now, not after half a sentury, when science wakes up.

Has to do with a speach after hearing it was rejected ( from link above a few posts )

Why in the hell do you need to protect something that has been hunted for decades, and never been found?...........Protect them from what or who?

Or, would this mean finding bigfoot, and others would be forced legally to stop hunting for bigfoot.....Now, that would be fricken funny!

• Like 1

All of which have been replicated though artificially.

I think a big mystery is why are many "trails" only one footed?

That's something I've noticed over the years myself, you usually only see one half set of prints and then only a couple. There have been some exceptions to that but largely a couple from one side or the other is all that's ever found.

However, I do agree with Spectre1979, I'll believe it when I see a corpse or a skeleton......Ideally a live one would be da bomb, but if the darn thing was real how would you capture and transport it to a scientific facility for proper study? Shooting one would be a pain to drag out, hell dragging a deer out after a poor shot is a pain and they are much lighter than a Bigfoot is supposed to be. Out comes the machete and off come the head, hands and feet.

• Like 1

The tracks for me are most compelling. DNA is great too but a track is something much more personal. I've never seen a BF track but know from tracking other animals and people (for fun) that you can tell a great deal about what you are tracking from the tracks they leave. And, I find it very hard to beleive that a hoaxer with intimate knowledge of anatomy and engineering for that matter, (one would need to engineer a foot that moves according the individual physiology of individual BFs) is making tracks in the middle of now where for people to find, without leaving his own tracks. I think the animal is intelligent and more attune to its environment and able to escape detection easily. After all, have you seen the people looking for this thing? Flashlights, talking to each other as if the thing is deaf or something. They need to step up their game if they want to really find the thing. Hire some special forces people that can actually go in undetected.

After reading the announcement, DNA as they are describing cannot be faked.

It really comes down to the people making the claim, I don't have to fake anything if I simply lie up front about it.

It's too long for me to read the whole thing, but, has any of this so-called DNA evidence been submitted for testing in acredited labs?

Well, that's the thing really. They made this Earth shattering announcement then didn't submit any paper for a peer review or any data for someone else to verify the result. Just sort of dropped the bombshell and walked off from it like it was no big deal.

Supposedly, Meldrum's lab was accredited but suddenly they boarded up the place and closed it down.......I can't recall if it was before or after they announced they had the definitive DNA result this red hot minute. Then sort of disappeared.

"Hey! I found aliens living in Cleveland and I have DNA results verifying it." Then when you go to check they're gone and all you have is this press release and my word.

• Like 1

So, without outside verification, I take it this might be just a sophistcated hoax?

So, without outside verification, I take it this might be just a sophistcated hoax?

Either that or someone's just completely incompetent at performing DNA testing.

cormac

• Like 2

I believe there is doubt as to if she ever submitted a paper for peer review.

Who did she submit it to and who rejected it?

That is what I wanted to know to, I'd rather hear it from those who did the review and rejected it then a statement on a few blogs.

There circumstantial evidence which suggests a truth and there is direct or conclusive evidence which proves a truth.

Currently there is circumstantial evidence to suggest there is an unknown creature, but nothing conclusive to prove it.

Unless all the circumstantial evidence is shown to be the product of hoaxes or misidentifications, it cannot really be said not to exist.

Which is why I go with the status of being unknown until proven, which will likely require a specimen.

As said elsewhere, everyone can speculate on whatever opinion they have, but it won't accomplish anything, other then probably everyone picking a camp on either side of the field and shooting at the other camp.

Why in the hell do you need to protect something that has been hunted for decades, and never been found?...........Protect them from what or who?

Probably the whole body is so valueable in Chinese medicine that the entire thing is carried off and dried out and smoked. It's a national tragedy it is!!

However, I do agree with Spectre1979, I'll believe it when I see a corpse or a skeleton

That made me think.... I wonder when one of these bigfoot guys is going to get ahold of a 3D printer and just print up some bones?? The CAD software is not that hard to use. Basically go in on an existing human skeleton, tweek the scale in various directions, 1.5 in height, 2.0 width, 1.75 depth. Alter arm length by 1.25 on top of that.... and Print!! Bury somewhere secluded....

Ideally you'd want to "print" the bones from a calcium rich polymer, so that the weight and appearance would be close.

Probably the whole body is so valueable in Chinese medicine that the entire thing is carried off and dried out and smoked. It's a national tragedy it is!!

That made me think.... I wonder when one of these bigfoot guys is going to get ahold of a 3D printer and just print up some bones?? The CAD software is not that hard to use. Basically go in on an existing human skeleton, tweek the scale in various directions, 1.5 in height, 2.0 width, 1.75 depth. Alter arm length by 1.25 on top of that.... and Print!! Bury somewhere secluded....

Ideally you'd want to "print" the bones from a calcium rich polymer, so that the weight and appearance would be close.

If that ever happens, we know who to blame for the idea. :rofl:

cormac

• Like 3

There circumstantial evidence which suggests a truth and there is direct or conclusive evidence which proves a truth.

Currently there is circumstantial evidence to suggest there is an unknown creature, but nothing conclusive to prove it.

Unless all the circumstantial evidence is shown to be the product of hoaxes or misidentifications, it cannot really be said not to exist.

Which is why I go with the status of being unknown until proven, which will likely require a specimen.

Circumstantial evidence doesn't suggest a single truth is possible but actually suggests that several truths are possible. This is important when considering Bigfoot claims and evidence.

Direct and conclusive evidence are not the same thing:

Direct evidence relates specifically to what a witness directly experienced. There is a lot of that when it comes to Bigfoot - it is all about the experience.

Conclusive evidence allows for no contradiction or requires no explanation. There is none of that when it comes to Bigfoot - evidence is frequently contradictory and there are always other explanations (circumstances).

Considering the long and ongoing history of fakery and storytelling of Bigfoot claims and evidence, unless even some of the circumstantial evidence can be shown to not be the product of hoaxes or misidentifications, Bigfoot cannot really be said to exist.

Which is why I go with the status of being imaginary until something - ANYTHING - suggests otherwise...

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 1

If that ever happens, we know who to blame for the idea. :rofl:

cormac

Allright!! I hope they quote me correctly in the Bigfoot books. :clap:

• Like 1

Sadly, you may have given some hoaxers an idea, make up a bunch of bones with a Desktop rapid prototype system then lay them out in the woods somewhere and take some pictures to make them look like they've been there a while and of course do some creative scattering.......maybe study a few deer or elk skeletons and sort of use that as a pattern then concocted a supporting story. Something like....."Hey I found these out in the woods while hiking but as I started making some detail pictures the Bigfoot Body Recovery Unit came swooping in and scared me off. I didn't have a gun and I'm all passive and sheit, so I just ran and when I got away I posted these up on my Facebook page."

The real key would be to cover all the bases with a vague specificity that sounds all well and good but when you actually take it apart you haven't actually said a great deal other than, "Hey, I found this. What do you think it is?" Then leave all the speculation for everyone else to cook up, then you're in the clear. No telling how much money something like this could generate for you, could be a book in it, speaking engagements, a TV special or two, and who knows, maybe even a movie deal. It's all BS, but what the hey. The real trick would be to keep it all to yourself and not tell the true truth to anyone. That seems to be the basic undoing in all such things as this, so drink a big glass of ****, take a deep breath, and destroy all the evidence before you go public.

the paper failed peer review.

end of story.

Peer review exists so that people cannot publish claims without properly collected and analyzed data.

She had no properly collected and analyzed data. End of story.

• Like 1

I have to go with Spectre. DNA or no DNA results, where do Big Foot believers say that the 7' - 10' bodies are ? I am sincerely just asking.

According to the accounts of people who claim to have had sighting Bigfoots are supposed to fall within the 6' - 9' range. There are reports of them being taller and up to a ton in weight, however I discount these higher and heavier reports as hysteria, but when people are freaked out they imagine they saw all sorts of things. It's happened to me and there's nothing special about me. Sort of like reporting you just saw a hundred VC when in fact they're were only ten, but I believe it was a hundred.

Fear is something you can't discount, they can be totally sincere, but it's hard to remain totally objective and rational when the fecal matter is rolling down the back of your legs.

I'll go out on a limb and say

This whole DNA sham is sickening, really.

As someone who loves science and nature, I'm disgusted, ashamed, and have no respect for anyone who is a member of the Secret Sasquatch and Yeti DNA Society.

It's the worst I've seen in bigfootery because they claim their work and results are backed up by science.

Unlike certain *unnamed* hoaxers who are only backed up by stupidity.

I'll go out on a limb and say

This whole DNA sham is sickening, really.

As someone who loves science and nature, I'm disgusted, ashamed, and have no respect for anyone who is a member of the Secret Sasquatch and Yeti DNA Society.

It's the worst I've seen in bigfootery because they claim their work and results are backed up by science.

Unlike certain *unnamed* hoaxers who are only backed up by stupidity.

The SSYDS? Surely there is a better acronym then that??

W - World

O - Organization

O - Of

K - Kindred

I - Investigative

E - Enlightened

S - Scientists

• Like 3

The SSYDS? Surely there is a better acronym then that??

W - World

O - Organization

O - Of

K - Kindred

I - Investigative

E - Enlightened

S - Scientists

Oooh! Enlightened...and...Scientists...you are much kinder and more generous than I, Diechecker.

But I like WOOKIES, it fits so well. Though, that is being too kind too. :)

I have not seen one person on any forum, or on the news excited about this. I do not think anyone took it serious at all.

Except BFRO and that crowd.

" The boys who cry wolf " should be Bigfoot enthusiasts tags.

• Like 1

I have not seen one person on any forum, or on the news excited about this. I do not think anyone took it serious at all.

Except BFRO and that crowd.

And that is all who should.

But I have seen some posters with a "wait and see" attitude around.

I'm going to go Bigfoot Forum surfing tomorrow and see what kind of Boo-hooing is going on in BF TrueBeliever land.

• Like 1

Oooh! Enlightened...and...Scientists...you are much kinder and more generous than I, Diechecker.

But I like WOOKIES, it fits so well. Though, that is being too kind too. :)

The K was the hardest letter to place. Maybe I can come up with a better one.

B - Bigfoot

I - Investigative

F - Forensic

F - Fabricators

• Like 3

The K was the hardest letter to place. Maybe I can come up with a better one.

B - Bigfoot

I - Investigative

F - Forensic

F - Fabricators

(and their Abominable Allies)

• Like 1