Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hands off! Don't touch pregnant women's belly

BiffSplitkins

Pregnant women's bellies can be the subject of lots of unwanted touching, but in Pennsylvania they have some legal protection.

A state law has gotten a lot of attention in the past week because it makes it illegal to touch a pregnant woman's belly without her permission.

The law has been on the books for years, according to WPXI, but is getting renewed attention because it is being used to charge a man with harassment after he touched a woman's pregnant belly.

READ MORE

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd just become a hand slapper real fast.

Maybe that's what I need to do when people rub my beer belly and chant "Buddha, Buddha, Buddha."

• Like 3

While I agree that he should have kept his hands to himself.. .I also believe that hitting him with assault and/or harrasment charges is quite a bit over the top...

Those convictions (and he will be convicted because that is the trend these days) will remain with him for the rest of his life... He could easily lose his job, and

find it next to impossible to find another one - severely impacting his entire family...

Why couldn't the woman in question simply tell him "I don't want you touching me. Stop."?... I guess it's better to destroy another persons life to make a point...

• Like 3

I've always thought touching pregnant women is a weird and invasive thing. It's not acceptable to randomly touch not pregnant people, so I just don't get why people do so to pregnant ladies.

Since a non-pregnant woman can press charges for assault or harassment if some stranger comes up and starts rubbing on her belly, I don't see why a pregnant woman shouldn't have the same option.

• Like 6

While I agree that he should have kept his hands to himself.. .I also believe that hitting him with assault and/or harrasment charges is quite a bit over the top...

Those convictions (and he will be convicted because that is the trend these days) will remain with him for the rest of his life... He could easily lose his job, and

find it next to impossible to find another one - severely impacting his entire family...

Why couldn't the woman in question simply tell him "I don't want you touching me. Stop."?... I guess it's better to destroy another persons life to make a point...

I don't know about her, but I can tell you for a fact that some guys still think no means I'm kidding. When I get unwanted attention (that means an arm around my waist, a hand on my rear, or a breast being fondled), I look that person in the eye and tell - not ask - him to get his hands off me this instant. And I don't say it quietly. You'd be surprised at how many guys still just give me a laugh and a wink - and leave their hands right where they are. I never ask twice. The next thing they get is a good punch to the chest and I punch hard. And of course, I always hear, "What did you do that for? I was just having fun."

Personally, I think anyone who touches someone else should get a warning first, but I also think we need to teach more people, especially young girls, that their bodies belong only to them and no one else has any business putting their hands on them. And that includes bosses, teachers, coaches and strange men who just have to touch a pregnant woman's body. And that isn't just men. I've also seen women be incredibly obnoxious about wanting to touch another woman's pregnant belly, as if they had a right to do that. Had I been that woman, this guy would probably not have been sued, but he would have backed off real fast. If he hadn't, then I would have broken his arm off at the wrist and fed it to him. I guess I'm a little inclined to be very particular about who puts their hands on me. These days I don't allow anyone I don't know and a lot of people I do know to even touch me.

I don't think anyone ever touched my belly without asking when I was pregnant. And the one time someone did touch my belly, it was a woman who'd been helping me in a store for about an hour, she was nice and she asked first. And, I think the only reason she asked was because I started to dance around because my daughter had the hiccups which always weirded me out... and I said "oh god, this kid has the hiccups again!" She asked if she could feel... I said of course. It made her happy, it made me happy that she was happy... everyone left happy. LOL.

Otherwise, I don't think anyone touched my belly either invited or uninvited. That was 27 years ago.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 3

I think there are different levels of touching. A person putting their hand on a pregnant belly is usually not a pervert assaulting you. A guy grabbing your breast or rear? Um... that's where assault charges can come in, especially if they don't step back when you tell them to.

No one should touch you without your permission ever or, if they do, they should certainly stop and apologize immediately the moment you tell them to. People need to have a little common sense though. Not everyone who ever touches you is a monster who wants to hurt or molest you and anyone else they can get their hands on. I should think sometimes you can just tell them to get off.

When I was pregnant with my 2nd child, a woman came up to me in the market making baby cooing noises and put her hands on my belly. I stepped back and said rather loudly, "Why are you touching me?" She skedaddled off down the isle looking sorry and a bit confused.

My wife felt like allowing people to touch or rub her pregnant belly with her children, except only in circumstances she knows the person (friends) and if the stranger asking her (they must ask first) tells her the reason why they are interested. She likes to share something personal and imitate in a context of carrying an unborn life can be fascinating, but it is her body after all and she doesn't want random strangers touching her...I know this hadn't happened to my wife in her 2 pregnancies (the third child, the oldest from an ex-BF).

Being a pregnant woman doesn't invite touching, no matter how inciting it may be for some people, as well comments about her pregnancy from complete strangers to her face...it's annoying, invasive and over a private matter for anyone to get involved in. I heard about things on the occasional older lady or little child approaching a pregnant woman for logical reasons. My own parents told me it became common for anyone to touch pregnant bellies in the 1970s or 80s as far they know of, but since the 1990s, more pregnant women began to vocally object to unwanted touching and today, society is more aware of how rude and inappropriate it is, and does make the woman quite uncomfortable.

The man who got sued didn't need to hug, touch and beg for friendship to someone who doesn't know him...there's something wrong with him, sounds rather creepy to think about his motive on her. There's more to the story the media isn't reporting...as if he has a mental condition (I'm reminded of autism in some adults with the disorder) affected his social or behavioral skills, and the news report stated his age (58, twice than the 30-year old pregnant woman he groped). Luckily, he has to pay a fine instead of facing jail time.

I only allowed my husband and my daughter touch my pregnant belly and only when I guided their hands.. My pregnant tummy was a bit too sensitive at the time and I needed to make sure Becky was going to be gentle ... I doubt I would have been happy if a stranger did it...

Normally I do not like anyone touching me, unless it is just to give a hug or to shake my hand, but the pregnant tummy, that is like a whole different ball game..I think pregnant women naturally feel more protective of their baby bumps than anything else..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

I don't like touching people, they're disgusting, I can't imagine how you would feel while carrying your baby. I'm surprised we don't get stories about pregnant women snapping and stabbing 5 or 6 people that keep touching her,.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pregnant... and I can honestly say that no one has touched my belly apart from my mum and my partner and my little boy.... I know people do this but I dont think it happens all the time because if that was the case I would notice.

However. I think its invasive if people ever do touch you in general without asking... I mean like anywhere other than like shoulder or arm.

• Like 2