Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lot's wife and the pillar of salt

UM-Bot

Larry Gerndt: In the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, the bible says that Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt. Thanks to Zecharia Sitchin, I've learned that this is very likely a mistranslation, though a very understandable mistake, as you'll see. What might actually have happened to her is far more interesting. First, here's the relevant passage.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• 1 month later...

How interesting!

I am always ready to see people rethink the book that had such a hearty influence in this world.

So much is LOST in translation.

Larry Gerndt: In the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, the bible says that Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt. Thanks to Zecharia Sitchin, I've learned that this is very likely a mistranslation, though a very understandable mistake, as you'll see. What might actually have happened to her is far more interesting. First, here's the relevant passage.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

Thank you for this. I agree, there must be many mistranslation within the Bible. The message of grace does not change though.:)

The modern equivalent would be: "she turned into a frige" (salt was used to conserve food).

Perfectly understandable.

• 4 months later...

I would like to offer a word of correction to Sitchins translations of the Hebrew language. The word Malach does not mean to vanish away...it means Angle of... or ​... Messenger of. ​Sitchin's translations leave allot to be desired,as evidenced here; he will even change the meanings of words to fit with his theories! It would be highly unlikely that all of the Hebrew scribes from the time of the Babylonian enslavement until the present day had a lesser knowledge of Hebrew than Sitchin or would miss something like a simple grammatical error.

When you read a translation by Sitchin always cross-reference it with a site like the AHRC, and be prepared to be disappointed by his total lack of scruples. There is however a scholar of ancient Hebrew history that can be trusted. That man is Immanuel Velikovsky.

THE ANCIENT HEBREW RESEARCH CENTRE CAN BE FOUND AT: http://www.ancient-hebrew.org

• Like 1

Sorry, you're just wrong. Look it up: http://www.biblestud...kjv/malach.html

An example of the proper ad-verb in context of the word Malach is amply illustrated in the name of the Prophet Malachi.

Malach...[ messenger ] and [ the great " I "...' I AM '...G*d ]....Messenger of G*d.

<a id="cke_53" class="cke_off cke_button_justifyright" "="" href="" title="Align Right" tabindex="-1" hidefocus="true" role="button" aria-labelledby="cke_53_label" style="margin: 0px; padding: 3px 5px; border: 0px; background-color: transparent; width: auto; height: 18px; border-collapse: collapse; vertical-align: baseline; cursor: default; border-top-left-radius: 3px; border-top-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-left-radius: 3px; outline: none; display: inline-block; ">

An example of the proper ad-verb in context of the word Malach is amply illustrated in the name of the Prophet Malachi.

Malach...[ messenger ] and [ the great " I "...' I AM '...G*d ]....Messenger of G*d.

Isaiah 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away (malach) like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

P.S. While we're debating what "malach" means--messenger or "vanish away", we ought to consider that we may both be right. It may well be that the messengers of God (angels, malakim), had a characteristic, the ability to vanish into thin air when they left.

A similar double-meaning is lost in translation when it comes to Genesis 6:2: "There were giants (Nephilim) in the earth in those days..." The word Nephilim is the plural form of Nephil, whose root Naphal means "to fall". This is the original of the term "fallen angels". But they were also giants. So the word connotes two meanings at once, but when translated into "giants" in the KJV, we lose the more interesting meaning.

The Nephilim question is one that certainly fascinates me. The graves of giants litter the Irish landscape both in the physical and legendary sense. These beings known as the Fomorians were regarded as semi-divine. This seafaring race of beings came to Ireland after the flood [ so legend has it ]. The Greek geographer and sailor Pytheas of Massilia made note of these people in 350BC saying " these giant men once had domain over Hiberi...but know there number are few...we have seen them in the tides with nets some are as large as nine pouse 8-9 feet.

A grave was unearthed in 1972 in the area were I live. In it were the remains of a six thousand year old man buried in pasture covered sand dunes. His skeletal remains were fascinating 7'10" tall! His teeth caused a great deal of interest he had huge fang-like canines. The teeth were sent to a university in Toronto for analysis. They discovered that he was on his third set of teeth! ​Implying a great age. The cause of death was even more fascinating. A black porcellanite axe was embedded in his ribcage, his hands and feet were bound with leather thongs. The back of his skull was also smashed in. His remains are held in archives of the National Museum of Ireland Dublin. This find is not unique in Ireland. There are many other recorded "Giants" but Ulster and in particular County Antrim has a very high concentration of them. Despite this evidence, professional historians still regard the Fomorians as pure myth. C'est la vie !

As far as I know, no works of Pytheas have survived. We only know of him through others quoting from his work.

But I never heard of Pytheas or someone quoting him mentioning 'giants'.

And I also never heard of these giants in Ireland.

Do you have some links, Erudite Celt?