Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Think tank to tackle interstellar travel

Saru

The 100 Year Starship Project is aimed at developing interstellar space flight within the next century.

The light-years between the stars is vast -- a seemingly insurmountable quarantine that cuts our solar system off from the rest of the galaxy. But to a growing number of interstellar enthusiasts -- and a former U. S. president -- interstellar distances may not be as insurmountable as they seem.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 4

It is about time. I would have thought that this type of think tank had been established decades ago. Now is better than later, especially with the discovery of many rocky planets within the habitable zones of stars, providing that the planets have suitable conditions for human colonization. Here's hoping that this think tank makes great strides.

Oh man, wish I could go. The ultimate science trip for me. If I had know about it last year I might have been able to make it. I got a buddy in Houston I could've stayed with.

Until we can do a few other things such as permanent bases on the moon or orbital drydocks, mining other planets and asteroids for materials...the list really goes on and on, I just don't see the point. But I guess contemplating how we will do it can't hurt. Although if you go to youtube and and search for talks by phsicists on this very subject you'll see that paying a think tank to work on this is a waste since so many great minds have already thought long and hard on this one.

Wish they would put together a think tank to sort THIS planet out before worrying about going to others. Complete waste of brain power and resources.

Well its just a bunch of "Big Kids" fantasizing,because until we develop "Warp" drive, we aint going anywhere outside our own solar system, not even in a hundred yrs time.

Awesome news with space finally! I would love for this topic to be taken seriously, I actually really wish this was the goal of our whole planet, with countries pumping money into the exploration of space.

We can do interstellar travel now, if we wanted to. It is only a matter of how long it will take to get there. The nearest star with a known planet I think is like 10 light years away, so with a constant accelleation nuclear ion drive (which we could build today), it would probably take like 300 or more years to get there. (Maybe someone has better numbers?) So... most people consider that to be too long. It would take what is called a Generational Ship, with a breeding population on board and education to teach the new generations to take over for the older ones.

But, it is well within what humans could do today, and in my opinion we should be doing it already.

I do agree though that first we should put resources toward fixing the world we have, so that we can afford to fund and support such a project.

• Like 1

10years is the nearest star? tsk2x what a long journey!!

i think we need teleportation now!!

I would guess that you have to have "ports" at each end,so we should tell the guys at the other end to start building one so we can visit

I would guess that you have to have "ports" at each end,so we should tell the guys at the other end to start building one so we can visit

And to also rewrite physics as it is currently known.

Why not get a think tank to eradicate poverty and famine, much worthy cause than fantasising about something which is impossible!!!

Absolutely correct,thats all it is a "fantasy"..but some are tending to take it seriously..

Forget spending six months or more holed up in a rocket on the way to Mars, a round trip on the hyperdrive could take as little as 5 hours. All our worries about astronauts' muscles wasting away or their DNA being irreparably damaged by cosmic radiation would disappear overnight. What's more the device would put travel to the stars within reach for the first time. But can the hyperdrive really get off the ground? See link below:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_hyperdimensions11.htm

Judge for yourself. What do you think?

Why not get a think tank to eradicate poverty and famine, much worthy cause than fantasising about something which is impossible!!!

Well, it isn't impossible, but yes, we should take care of poverty (famine would be a bit tricky...).

I think all this research started decades ago and that quite a bit of "progress" has been made, although the problem is how to introduce this information to a wider public.

10years is the nearest star? tsk2x what a long journey!!

i think we need teleportation now!!

Nah... I think the closest star is 4.2 light years away. Alpha Centari or Proxima Centari, I think.

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/extra/nearest.html

10 light years (manybe 11 or a little more) is the distance to the closest star that is suspected to have a planet in orbit.

I think all this research started decades ago and that quite a bit of "progress" has been made, although the problem is how to introduce this information to a wider public.

I think you are right. But, I think the problem has been a power source. A conventional (is there such a thing?) nuclear engine would be way to underpowered to get humans to the stars and back in anything less then 10 generations.

I think some kind of magnetic field manipulation might be the way to go. Since we can't manipulate gravity. Manipulation of gravity would allow us to quickly create a propulsion system that would be very quick.

I have a suspicion that once we become a space faring civilization (officially speaking) many of these older problems will start to decrease.

The technology needed to make true interstellar travel viable is completely beyond us. 100 years? Could be 1000 years or frankly never.

There are several areas where we are barely more advanced than a if we'd just been hit on the head by an apple ;)

Look at the variety of methods that sci-fi writers use to bridge these huge gaps.

Take Star Trek as it's one of the most thoughtfully explored methods of interstellar travel (and the article mentions Urhura and Geordi).

Just off the top of my head, some of the things that the creators have invented to allow 'Warp drive' to happen.

Controlled Anti-Matter reactions (some basis in reality)

Dilithium crystals

Warp bubble/static warp field

Inertia dampeners

Navigational deflector array

Anti and artificial gravity

So even in the minds of those who write sci-fi when helped by real scientists (as ST-TNG was) the answer to interstellar travel is a mixture of technology that we can possibly aspire to, with technology that we can imagine but is completely beyond us and imaginary 'elements' to make it all work.

For true interstellar travel to be a century away, we literally need to find a derelict alien spaceship or hyperspace gate then have a century to back engineer it.

How about gyrostatic nuclear powered drive, (as used by U.F.O.'s, just kidding) ? Some one must have explored gyroscopic lift, which was demonstrated about 30 years ago on t.v.(in front of an audience of scientists) where heavy objects could be easily lifted using gyroscope technology. (Or is this classified).