Photo

Thinking, Not Doing and Bugs

Posted by StarMountainKid , 08 May 2012 · 564 views

Thinking, Not Doing and Bugs

(My disclaimer this time is, I've read this over a couple of times, and even I'm confused about what I've written. So don't feel bad if it all seem just a poorly written jumble of unrelated words. I'll try to do better next time.)

I don't really feel like writing anything right now, so I'd like to encourage you to read some of my older entries you maybe haven't read yet instead of reading this one that I don't plan on writing. This saves me time and effort trying to think of something new to talk about. Time I have a lot of, but effort is different. If I have to use effort to do something, it just makes it that much harder.

In Zen, everything you do is supposed to be effortless. You just do stuff without thinking about it much. Thinking about doing something too much just gets in the way of the doing. Plus, if you think about doing something long enough, you'll usually think yourself out of doing it at all.

This really isn't a bad idea. If there's something you really don't want to do, just think about it a lot. Believe me, pretty soon you'll change your mind, and you'll find yourself not doing something again. This is very relaxing. There is no better feeling than when you've talked yourself out of doing something you didn't want to do in the first place.

If you're asked later by someone why you didn't do it, you can always tell them you thought about it, but after careful consideration you decided it wasn't a good idea. Then, because of all this thought you've expended on the subject, you'll have stored up a lot of excuses why you didn't think it was a good thing to do. It's a no-lose situation.

Usually I try not to think very much. Except for the above example of useful thinking, I consider thought mostly useless. Some of my friends tell me I waste too much time doing nothing and not even thinking about it. People who tell me this are usually big thinkers. They're busy all the time, but what do they accomplish? Nothing important, because no one really cares what they've done as a byproduct of all this thought. Most people don't care what other people do, so how important is what they've thought they've done? Mostly, nobody has even noticed any change at all.

So, when in your mind you've done this big thing, realize that nobody cares, and the world goes on as if you'd done nothing. I do nothing, and nobody notices that either, so I've cut out all the effort of doing something that nobody will care about anyway.

Now I'd like to say a few things about bugs. I've noticed a few bugs crawling around on my kitchen counter lately. Not many bugs, and not big bugs, just a few very small bugs. I kill them when I see them, but I feel sorry for killing them just the same. Some are really tiny baby bugs, and some are like teenage bugs, and a few are I figure adult bugs. I kill them all indiscriminately, but I feel sorry the most for killing the baby bugs.

These bugs all seem to be really intelligent to me.  When they see me coming, in their self-preserving panic, they all scurry away from my deadly piece of paper towel, looking for some place to hide. This is what makes me feel sorry for them. They are conscious beings, after all, and they know I'm out to do them harm. They must hate me, but I don't want them to hate me, even though I want to kill them. It's a difficult situation to work out in my mind. I don't want anyone to hate me, even bugs.

I wish these bugs would just go away, then I wouldn't have to kill them, and they wouldn't hate me. Then we'd all be happy, and I wouldn't have this difficult situation to deal with.

These bugs are pretty smart like I said, but I think they're too much interested in sex for their own good. I think they mostly venture out, stealthily looking for a crumb or something to eat, always on the watch-out for me, then scurry back to their hiding place to resume doing you know what. This just makes more baby bugs for me to kill, so their over-enthusiasm with sex is self-destructive on their part. They probably don't think about this much, though. After all, when you're doing it, you're usually not thinking too far into the future.

I don't know much about bug anatomy, but however they do it, they must like doing it, because there's always more baby bugs running around than any other kind.  I think everything likes doing it, however they do do it. I think even plants like doing it. That's what their flowers are for. Plants wouldn't have all these bright, colorful flowers sticking up all over the place if it didn't give them some pleasure.

And plants aren't embarrassed about all this goings on, either. I think if humans had big, gaudy flower-like organs in their nether regions like plants do, we'd be embarrassed as hell about it. I say this because we seem to be embarrassed about what we have got, which is not much compared to plants.  But plants expose themselves boldly for all the world to see and don't give a damn. You have to admire them for that.

I believe this is because plants probably don't think about sex very often. They just open their flowers and let it all happen and who cares. In this way plants are very Zen-like, even though they haven't read any books on the subject. Not knowing that you're doing something properly is the best way to do it.

Well, instead of not writing something this time, I've written all this. I apologize, but I can't seem to help myself. I think next time I'll just leave a blank piece of paper here, so to speak. Most of you probably wish I'd done this this time. In any event, I think I've written some interesting stuff in some earlier entries that some of you may not have read, so next time when I don't write anything, that will give you the opportunity to read some of that. I don't think many of you will, though. You'll probably be so relieved that you won't have to read anything I haven't written, you'll hurry away and hopefully do something more constructive with your time, like looking at flowers or something.

Or maybe, not thinking too much about what you're going to do next. Except, of course, if you don't want to do it.

While I may not agree with all you said, I appreciate it in its own way (a contrasting view).

And picturing a flower (it was female in my mind), letting all she had out for the world to see with no shame, felt fuzzy inside. I will also admit I was mildly attracted to that mental image of flower, heh.

StarMountainKid
May 09 2012 03:57 PM
Thank you for your comment, Only.

Xanthurion2
May 13 2012 06:53 AM
you always say it won't be an interesting entry but it always is. i love your analogies by the way.

StarMountainKid
May 13 2012 01:55 PM
Thanks.

Recent Entries

2 user(s) viewing

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users