Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO conference held in Maine

Saru

The 'Experiencers Speak' conference in Gorham featured talks from several well known abductees.

UFO believers gathered at a conference in Maine to share their stories of close encounters and hear from speakers who said they've been abducted by extraterrestrials.

arrow3.gifRead more...

It's like religion. Gathering to confirm each others delusions.

And gives a sense of validity. Because holding conferences gives it a scientific feel.

• Like 2

Calling it a conference doesn't change the fact that there is no real evidence to support any of these claims. There are much more logical explanations for any abduction claim than extraterrestrial beings traveling unimaginable distances to probe a person.

Render pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Personally, lumping the abductees and their stories in with the ligitimate investigation of the UFO phenomenon gives ufology the "tinfoil hat" image. I've heard many credible ufologists state that.

Abductees stories belong at psychology/psychiatry conventions or conferences...not UFO conferences. Until their experiences are proven otherwise. Same goes for the cattle mutilation stuff.

That would've been interesting to go to.

I went to something similar back in either late 01' or late 02' (can't remember which)..in the north of England. I was expecting it to be rubbish, but was pleasantly surprised and quite enjoyed it. There was obviously nothing 'nuts and bolts' about it that I could get into (which is more my thing really)...but the people were interesting to listen too, and I didn't regret going..

These people may actually believe that the incident occurred. But, there are a host of phenomena, such as sleep paralysis, night terrors, etc., that can more realistically explain some of these incidents.

These people may actually believe that the incident occurred. But, there are a host of phenomena, such as sleep paralysis, night terrors, etc., that can more realistically explain some of these incidents.

Crazy talk. Next you're gonna say UFO doesn't mean alien craft.

I would actually like to go to this one. I find this stuff extremly interesting.

While I have difficulty at times with some of the stories I have heard at a couple of these conferences; mostly the ones in which the experiencer is telling about the messages from the space brothers. But there are some very interesting stories out there that will not be heard unless gatherings such as these are held and that would be a shame.

I have met some very down to earth and seemingly rational people who believe they have had some profound experiences. I was not there, I do not know the reality of their events. I am willing to listen.

During a UFO conference I attended many years ago, I sat, quite stunned as I listened to a woman from my area of Maine, whom I did not know, relate a story about an incident that she believed happened to her, in a real and physical sense. As she described her experience, (and let's be clear, she was not at all sure what it was all about and still had questions), I was stunned because I had previously had a dream that was very nearly exactly what she was describing while telling her story. I had never told anyone about my "dream". It was quite disturbing and left me feeling as though I had no control over my own life. This, was the same sentiment which she was trying to express.

So let's give the people who are willing to come together and speak publicly a break. There are more things in heaven and earth...

• Like 1

they probably spent the whole night thinking up fantastic yet believable stories to fool weak brained peps

Sounds like you've been to quite a few of these.

I would actually like to go to this one. I find this stuff extremly interesting.

What is it with you and anthropology, hazzard? :w00t:

I found this part amusing:

The 30-year-old O'Brien said his first encounter was three years ago while taking a walk at 2 a.m. in Bangor. That’s when he encountered tall human-like creatures he calls ‘‘the wizard people’’ that he says are sending a spiritual message to earthlings.

‘‘They are saying, ‘Be happy and as loving as possible.’ This is the message I am getting,’’ O'Brien said.

I found this part amusing:

At least it's a good message. Maybe he was listening to some old Beatles tunes. Love was one of their favorite themes.

Love is All You Need.

...of course food and shelter helps too!

• 4 weeks later...

I get "night terrors" and have a terrible physical reaction like I'm attacked by ghosts if I accidently kick the doona off and get cold. It's amazing how scary my dreams become because of temperature. Sadly in my case it's a mundane explanation for a scary experience.