Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Stephen King

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#76    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 15 March 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Yeah some of his last few have been kind of dry to say the least.The shining,black house,and bag of bones rotate as my top 3!The talisman and It also in my top 5.Some of the past 10 years i dont know seems like he just hit a bit of a lull.I highly doubt this sequel will match,i own the book and the movie nicholson nailed the part!His best ever in my opinion.

I frequently read The Shining. The book keeps grabbing back to the halls of the Overlook. I am not terribly fond of the movie because it doesn't flesh out the Torrances. We learn so little about them in the movie and the movie relies on alot more comic touches than the book. Right from the opening credits, Jack Torrance already looks like he spent a winter in the Overlook. lol.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#77    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 15 March 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

I frequently read The Shining. The book keeps grabbing back to the halls of the Overlook. I am not terribly fond of the movie because it doesn't flesh out the Torrances. We learn so little about them in the movie and the movie relies on alot more comic touches than the book. Right from the opening credits, Jack Torrance already looks like he spent a winter in the Overlook. lol.

HAHA i agree but that and one flew over the cuckoos nest really set jacks career up as the psycho character.Another one of my top 100 films lol.The book though you are 100% correct one of kings best,the way he used to blend real life horror with fiction horror was his best quality.Seems to have been slacking a bit in the last few i have read.Before i bought this one the last i read was "Just After Sunset" it was OK.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#78    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 15 March 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

HAHA i agree but that and one flew over the cuckoos nest really set jacks career up as the psycho character.Another one of my top 100 films lol.The book though you are 100% correct one of kings best,the way he used to blend real life horror with fiction horror was his best quality.Seems to have been slacking a bit in the last few i have read.Before i bought this one the last i read was "Just After Sunset" it was OK.

One detail that I believe made Stephen King meteoric storm is his eye for details, storytelling, and character development. Though he does criminally recycle and reuses characters types, and the stereotypes always rears its ugly head. I wont touch much of anything horror writers publish these days because it always lacks these three qualities... an eye for detail, storytelling, and character development. No, it is a green-blood monster or a walking slimebeast slaughters abunch of cliches. End of story. Thank you for the $8.00 btw.

But back to King, the quality of his books would definitely rise if they were much better edited. Too much superfluous filler. He is too big to answer to a proper editor though now and it shows. He doesn't know how to properly end a story either. That's just accepted fact.

Edited by B Jenkins, 15 March 2013 - 08:26 AM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#79    markprice

markprice

Government Agent

• 3,654 posts

• To deny meaning is an act of ignorance.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 15 March 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

But back to King, the quality of his books would definitely rise if they were much better edited. Too much superfluous filler. He is too big to answer to a proper editor though now and it shows. He doesn't know how to properly end a story either. That's just accepted fact.

"The editor is always right."- Stephen King

With an attitude like that I think one of your "facts" are wrong.

"How can someone prove that a rainbow exists to a blind man?"

#80    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

View Postmarkprice, on 27 March 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

"The editor is always right."- Stephen King

With an attitude like that I think one of your "facts" are wrong.

I find his more recent works rather poorly edited. And the reason I am assuming is that Stephen King has for all practical purposes become a commercial brand now and his britches are much larger than his early years a la he possesses alot more sway.

Edited by B Jenkins, 28 March 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#81    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Doctor Sleep
Announcement Date: May 8th, 2012
Projected Release Date: September 24th, 2013

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

Meh, this is more like a fantastic story than the distillation of horror that The Shining was.

The True Knot?

Immortals?

Epic war between good and evil?

This is not the story I want to read as a sequel to The Shining. Its too fantastic. Whereas The Shining dealt with madness, murder, and an evil house.

#82    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,462 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 15 March 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

I saw Stephen King on a program called A Night At The Movies where he gave his impressions and opinions of horror movies in general and it was very, very interesting, and of course, he spoke of his own stories made into movies and he said he had a big problem with The Shining. He said the movie's director knew he had a big problem with it. He said it was a fundamental problem with the main character and where this evil comes from. He said in his book, the character's are all warm and sympathetic and the director made the main character and the movie very cold and an example of that is that at the end of the movie the hotel freezes, but in his book, the hotel burns.
(Now, I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I've seen probably half of the movie...)
Anyway, he said there's no doubt that the movie had good effects, but to him it was like a pretty car with no engine.
(I'd have to go back and see precisely what he said about it. I recorded the program a couple of months ago, but just recently viewed it!)

He had lots of fascinating things to say about the progression of horror movies!

#83    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,216 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Postregi, on 31 March 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

I saw Stephen King on a program called A Night At The Movies where he gave his impressions and opinions of horror movies in general and it was very, very interesting, and of course, he spoke of his own stories made into movies and he said he had a big problem with The Shining. He said the movie's director knew he had a big problem with it. He said it was a fundamental problem with the main character and where this evil comes from. He said in his book, the character's are all warm and sympathetic and the director made the main character and the movie very cold and an example of that is that at the end of the movie the hotel freezes, but in his book, the hotel burns.
(Now, I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I've seen probably half of the movie...)
Anyway, he said there's no doubt that the movie had good effects, but to him it was like a pretty car with no engine.
(I'd have to go back and see precisely what he said about it. I recorded the program a couple of months ago, but just recently viewed it!)

He had lots of fascinating things to say about the progression of horror movies!

Then how can you be giving your opinion about something you haven't read or seen?

#84    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,462 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostAntilles, on 01 April 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Then how can you be giving your opinion about something you haven't read or seen?

Where's MY opinion in that post, Antilles?

#85    progressivegamer44

progressivegamer44

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

I love stephen king, i really do, but you people are simply being overzealous fanboys if you maintain his work today is on par with his 80's stuff.

Pet semetary and IT will always be my favorites. I'm also of the opinnion his last 10\10 book was IT

#86    progressivegamer44

progressivegamer44

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostGoSC, on 15 March 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

One detail that I believe made Stephen King meteoric storm is his eye for details, storytelling, and character development. Though he does criminally recycle and reuses characters types, and the stereotypes always rears its ugly head. I wont touch much of anything horror writers publish these days because it always lacks these three qualities... an eye for detail, storytelling, and character development. No, it is a green-blood monster or a walking slimebeast slaughters abunch of cliches. End of story. Thank you for the $8.00 btw.

This man speaks all kinds of truth.

#87    Queenregena

Queenregena

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

• im here to learn all I can!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

I absolutely love Stephen king. his work is just amazing the way he ties his stories together.

#88    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm currently reading Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining and it is definitely NOT on par with his earlier work.  As a matter of fact, it's a bit on the tedious side.

My favorites are Bag of Bones,   Duma Key and Under the Dome.     

Those are really well written and engaging.  I find his most recent works to be too similar to each other and bit hackneyed.  And honestly, I'm starting to get annoyed with his theme of child molesting creepos with special powers.  King's son, Joe Hill, has also picked up on this theme and King actually references Hill's antagonist from NOS4R2  in the sequel.   I find this irritating since not everyone will have read Hill's book.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#89    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,173 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

I find i prefer King's short stories, and teh collections of them "Skeleton Crew" fo rexample.

ANd many of his novels are quite good also, but his tendancy to, by the end make everything aliens, and his oscene amounts of filler are a bit of a turn off.

But just a bit

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#90    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 18 October 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

I'm currently reading Dr. Sleep, the sequel to The Shining and it is definitely NOT on par with his earlier work.  As a matter of fact, it's a bit on the tedious side.

My favorites are Bag of Bones,   Duma Key and Under the Dome.

Those are really well written and engaging.  I find his most recent works to be too similar to each other and bit hackneyed.  And honestly, I'm starting to get annoyed with his theme of child molesting creepos with special powers.  King's son, Joe Hill, has also picked up on this theme and King actually references Hill's antagonist from NOS4R2  in the sequel.   I find this irritating since not everyone will have read Hill's book.

I just put myself on the waiting list at the local library for Doctor Sleep because I have to read the semi-sequel to The Shining (my personal King fav). But thanks for warning me, it will probably take me a month to finish I guestimate. But I have to do this, I am forced to.

I only was able to read about 70 pages of NOS4R2, and quite, it was too abstract and surreal with the heavy character POV. Half the time I was like, What...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users