Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Big, Old Trees in Decline Worldwide

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

http://www.ouramazin...in-decline.html

Big trees are in decline for a number of reasons, including logging and clearing of land for agriculture, introduction of non-native insects or pathogens (an example being chestnut blight), past management practices (for example, fire exclusion that has led to denser forests, which can be more vulnerable to insect outbreaks and severe fires), air pollution and climatic changes.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    BNDGK

BNDGK

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 162 posts

• Splendors you never have seen all your days will be yours.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Wow. Is all that paper used in Europe? Or is it just deported to other countries?

Edited by BNDGK, 12 December 2012 - 01:41 PM.

By the sea, Mr, Todd that's the life i covet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May you have warm words on a cold evening,
a full moon on a dark night,
and the road downhill all the way to your door.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,434 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Sequoias and Red Woods are doing just fine out west. :)

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,567 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I love big trees just as much as the next guy, but isn't this more of an emotional and aesthetic issue than it is an environmental issue?

Is it better to have one 200-year-old redwood tree or 50 acres of fast growing white pine that is cut and replanted every 20 years?

#5    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,753 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 December 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

I love big trees just as much as the next guy, but isn't this more of an emotional and aesthetic issue than it is an environmental issue?

Is it better to have one 200-year-old redwood tree or 50 acres of fast growing white pine that is cut and replanted every 20 years?
It depends on your pespective. If your an economists and everything is reduced down to its monitary value then your argument would seem to have value.
However the real situation is that woodcrops, as you describe, are virtual environmental deserts compared to a stand of old growth native trees. Loss of biodiversity and its knock on effects on human services is one of the single greatest threats we face as a species.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hardwoods make better lumber than that soft pine.  The decline in hardwood is going to be the problem.  Pine trees are almost weeds.  Let them log the pine but leave the hardwood alone unless there's a good reason to cut it not involving money.

#7    whitelight

whitelight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm 50.  I've lived all those years near or in the woods.  And, in my opinion, you are all *** stupid.

#8    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

View Postwhitelight, on 16 December 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

I'm 50.  I've lived all those years near or in the woods.  And, in my opinion, you are all *** stupid.

Judging on your last sentence maybe its time that you get out from the wood and start to talk with people.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,434 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have to agree with the L on that statement. There's absolutely no reason for you to make such a comment other than to troll a thread.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

I can tell just from my own area that there is a decline in hardwood trees.  Maybe where you come from whitelight things haven't changed much but in the rest of the world it has.  Sometimes wisdom does not come with age.

#11    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Alien Abducter

• 5,315 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

The tallest species of tree is the Jarrah (Eucalytus marginata) of Australia, which commonly reaches heights of 140 meters.  Height seems to be limited by the distance tree cells can draw water.
The thickest species of tree is the Kauri (Agathis australis) on the North Island of New Zealand which commonly reaches 7 meter diameters to extends to heights of 50 meters with no measureable taper.
The Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron gigantea of Sequioa National Park in California achieves the greatest volume at 5500 cubic meters.

And, yes.  People are cutting down the oldest trees for building material and charcoal.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 5,685 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Big, old trees are in decline throughout the world, which spells trouble for the forests in which they play such an important role, a new study finds.

These elders of the forest do many things that smaller, younger trees cannot; for example, providing homes for many types of animals, providing space for other plants to grow in tropical rainforests and producing large amounts of seeds that serve as food for other animals and replenish tree populations, according to the study, published today (Dec. 6) in the journal Science.

==============================================================================================

The day the property developers start caring about the animals of our World, will be the day they stop chopping down anything which gets in their way...............saying that, the property developers will keep on building as long as man keeps on breeding and demanding more housing.
I just can not understand how men were ever allowed to even start chopping their way through the rain forests so freely with absolutely no consideration of the effect it would have......money hey!!!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#13    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Have you cut down a tree lately. I cut up a few downed trees for firewood this year. But they had been blown down by the bad snow storm we had.

Hemp makes better paper

#14    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,753 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

The main threat in Europe is through international trade in timber products. Almost all major species groups are threatened by debilitating fungal diseases. Back in the 1970's Britain and Ireland lost almost all their Elms to Dutch elm disease. The same thing is going to happen to the Ash which will likely be all but gone by the end of the decade. Oak has serious disease issues.
Causes;
-general stress caused by
-climate change
- drought
- pollution
-isolation and decrepitude with little recruitment of new trees and no serious expanses of semi-natural woodland
-exotic disease's

Tree plagues have occurred throughout history but the frequency was such that species rebound from low points.  Now days a tree has no sooner recovered from one plague than the next one comes along. The future looks extremely bleak for most of our iconic trees.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#15    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Well out in the Pacific Northwest, logging is the main threat. Otherwise, them old trees continue to grow like weeds. Heck, the coastal temp. rainforest has more biomass per unit area then any of the amazon jungles. Truly amazingly huge trees and ancient forests. My kinda place :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users