Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

I Am Bradley Manning

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#166    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,926 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

Signing the NNPT gives Iran rights to a nuclear program, same as us.  In order to have that, you need scientists.  By logical extension, yep, they have a right to their scientists too.   Bureaucratic shenanigans playing match-maker and who has the rights to what don't interest me.   If we're going to jam our way down someone else's throat, we best be doing our way ourselves or we have no credibility in the world.   I think the chances of being retaliated against by terrorists rises in proportion to our hypocrisy.   If we swear off WMDs and dismantle them all (something I wouldn't be willing to do if it was up to me) then we can stop the spread of them elsewhere without the necessary molehill of double standards.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#167    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,153 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postcaptain pish, on 26 August 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

And that right there is the problem I have with people in the military. If you guys weren't out there killin people I would still be living the exact same life I do. You need to realize that what you are doin is making the world LESS stable and a more violent place. You're all brainwashed into thinking you're securing the freedoms of your family and the people back home but all you are in reality is publicly funded mercenaries for corrupt politicians and empires who lie and deceive and do not care about you or the innocemt people who die and the hands of it military. Fortunately a lot of military personnel are coming to realize that.

Soldiers are not Robots who will do what you tel them. The good portion I the Western Military is very well educated. We are able and encouraged to think. We support hat we do because we see what to dont, the effects on the ground. Yes there are fire fights and ieds, but that's 5-10% of what we do in theatre, we build roads, irrigation, help farmers and villagers with projects.

We train to kill because if we didn't, no one would protect you as someone who wants your land comes ad takes it. You can say that you don't have enemies or that no one is capable of invading the US or Canada, or the UK. But in reality tat is be audit the Strobg Military Presence in each of those nations. If there wasn't a Military in either one then they wouldn't remain sovereign much longer.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#168    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostYamato, on 28 August 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

Signing the NNPT gives Iran rights to a nuclear program, same as us.  In order to have that, you need scientists.  By logical extension, yep, they have a right to their scientists too.   Bureaucratic shenanigans playing match-maker and who has the rights to what don't interest me.   If we're going to jam our way down someone else's throat, we best be doing our way ourselves or we have no credibility in the world.   I think the chances of being retaliated against by terrorists rises in proportion to our hypocrisy.   If we swear off WMDs and dismantle them all (something I wouldn't be willing to do if it was up to me) then we can stop the spread of them elsewhere without the necessary molehill of double standards.
But what if the entire rest of the world is convinced they are not acting according to the NNPT? Do they then have the rights to continue that research? Because the last I read, the UN said they believed that Iran was breaking the NNPT.

The chances of retaliation are there. But if you beat up a bully enough, he leaves you alone. Or he tries to kill you, in which case you show him he can't kill you and beat him again, till he learns his lesson. The fact that the US and Iran would both be bullys in this situation is not lost on me, but one is my bully and would be acting (In theory) in the best interests of the global community.

I think dismantling our WMD is an excellent idea. We really only need a couple dozen to threaten rogue states with. Having hundreds or thousands just does not do what it used to.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#169    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostThanato, on 28 August 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Soldiers are not Robots who will do what you tel them. The good portion I the Western Military is very well educated. We are able and encouraged to think. We support hat we do because we see what to dont, the effects on the ground. Yes there are fire fights and ieds, but that's 5-10% of what we do in theatre, we build roads, irrigation, help farmers and villagers with projects.

We train to kill because if we didn't, no one would protect you as someone who wants your land comes ad takes it. You can say that you don't have enemies or that no one is capable of invading the US or Canada, or the UK. But in reality tat is be audit the Strobg Military Presence in each of those nations. If there wasn't a Military in either one then they wouldn't remain sovereign much longer.
Many militarys of the world are actually not that strong, because they depend on being allies with other nations that are strong. Japan for instance depends almost entirely on the US for national defense. Canada and the UK depend just as much on alliance (NATO) as they do on their own soldiers.

I do agree that modern US soldiers are not robots that would fire on their own people just because their Captain told them to. Those who subscribe to that idea are very naive.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#170    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,926 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 29 August 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

But what if the entire rest of the world is convinced they are not acting according to the NNPT? Do they then have the rights to continue that research? Because the last I read, the UN said they believed that Iran was breaking the NNPT.

The chances of retaliation are there. But if you beat up a bully enough, he leaves you alone. Or he tries to kill you, in which case you show him he can't kill you and beat him again, till he learns his lesson. The fact that the US and Iran would both be bullys in this situation is not lost on me, but one is my bully and would be acting (In theory) in the best interests of the global community.
Iran is no threat to us.

We've had our noses in Iran's internal affairs for generations now.   The results of our policies all across the Middle East have been abysmal yet we always seem to accept the status quo and not question our policies, and from there it's always escalation and more escalation.   The more we intervene over there the worse off we become over here.     It's time to question what we're doing and start to creatively visualize an economical and morally-upright choice of minding our own business.   When we're going in the wrong direction (hypocrisy, tyranny, violence, debt)  it's time to turn around and go another way, not hit the gas pedal.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#171    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,109 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 29 August 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

I think dismantling our WMD is an excellent idea. We really only need a couple dozen to threaten rogue states with. Having hundreds or thousands just does not do what it used to.
Do you really believe that America has the best interests of the global community at heart?
And even if that was true, can America really be trusted to know what is the best interests of the global Community? I mean, look at Syria; even if we believe that Mr. O' is motivated by a genuine hunger for justice, what you can say at best is that he's rather naive, and seems to believe that the Rebels are the Good guys and all he has to do is help them (with "Surgical Strikes") and Evil be be deposed and peace and Truth will reign.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 29 August 2013 - 06:45 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users