Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

Could a Zombie outbreak happen in real life?

zombie

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

I am not being grumpy when I say there is no such thing as zombies and there never will be. I am just being realistic. (See...I am even smiling)  :) :) :)

#17    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,925 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

There is so much deliberate misinformation on the Zombie phenomenon, for starters they don't eat brains, they lack them.  The government has known this for years and surrepticiously sequestered them in huge concrete buildings under the guise of "public service".

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#18    ThePhantomFlanFlinger

ThePhantomFlanFlinger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

I dont like brains anyhow.....could i be a vegetarian zombie and just chase carrots?

#19    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 12 June 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

And I still can't believe that some people are actually wishing for something like that to come true. :rolleyes:

Come on, dude wouldn't have to go to work at Chic-Filet anymore, he can put down his game controller, crawl out of Mom's basement, and really use those samurai swords, nunchuks, and throwing stars that he's been collecting since he was 13.  The high school cheerleader next door might also be a survivor and in need of his protection.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#20    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostRafterman, on 13 June 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Come on, dude wouldn't have to go to work at Chic-Filet anymore, he can put down his game controller, crawl out of Mom's basement, and really use those samurai swords, nunchuks, and throwing stars that he's been collecting since he was 13.  The high school cheerleader next door might also be a survivor and in need of his protection.

Brilliant ! :tu:

#21    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I hope so. I've spent way too much money on ammo for there not to be one.

#22    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 13 June 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

There is so much deliberate misinformation on the Zombie phenomenon, for starters they don't eat brains, they lack them.  The government has known this for years and surrepticiously sequestered them in huge concrete buildings under the guise of "public service".

Don't bother libstak, these guys need actually evidence! Figures!

surreptitious is one of my fav words btw!

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#23    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,587 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostHabitat, on 13 June 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

You obviously went home too early. The Zombies and Vampires come out when they're ready, not when you call them. Can't believe you wouldn't know that.
Hey  would you bother coming out when the temp was minus 10, too cold for Zoms and Vamps but we had a few jars of Guinness and  being asked to leave quietly from the pub ,decided it would be a good idea at the time .

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#24    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 12 June 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Zombies, as in reanimated corpses? Nah. But I do believe that a variation of 28 Days Later's "RAGE" virus is quite possible. :)

This is actually the more creepier one to consider. As you said, "reanimated corpses? Nah", but an enhanced, galloping, severe version of rabies could quickly get out of hand. This is not inconceivable.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#25    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,265 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

I wonder what Brains taste like?

#26    Randomactsofviolence

Randomactsofviolence

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

If you dont belive its possible why dont you explain this to me after you read it.
http://www.dailytech...rticle24276.htm

There not eating people but it defiantly changes the way these childerns minds work. If it decides to mutate or if the government decides to mess with it we all will be screwed.
I belive that the rage virus is possible if it were to either block serotonin from our brains or drain the serotonin.

#27    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 13 June 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I have found myself uttering, or maybe muttering, the expression, "typical public servant" on more than one occasion over the years. It evokes images of people who employ great economy of effort themselves, but have elevated expectations as regards the performances of others, in service delivery. :cry:

#28    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,925 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostHabitat, on 14 June 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

I have found myself uttering, or maybe muttering, the expression, "typical public servant" on more than one occasion over the years. It evokes images of people who employ great economy of effort themselves, but have elevated expectations as regards the performances of others, in service delivery. :cry:
Oh so true, Habitat, sad but true. :tu:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#29    Maximus793

Maximus793

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

As much fun as it would be, I don't think I see it happening...

It might not be the best source but: http://www.cracked.c...il-quickly.html

Kinda makes a couple of good points :hmm:

Edited by Maximus793, 14 June 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#30    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 12 June 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

One word: Annoying.

I mean seriously, how many articles are written every month about a possible Zombie outbreak !? Seems to me like there's a article or thread written about this every day.

It won't happen folks, Zombie outbreaks are nothing more than fiction and something you'll see only in books or movies.

And I still can't believe that some people are actually wishing for something like that to come true. :rolleyes:

A zombie outbreak could happen.

The rabies virus would need to be engineered to attack just the movement and higher intelligence parts of the brain. It would need to be as adaptable as Aids so a cure cant be found while at the same time being weak enough not to kill the host.

The virus would need to attack the starvation mechanisms in the brain making someone so desperate for food they'd eat human meat while putting them off vegtables etc.

I think its within the realms of possibility but maybe 20 years away.

Also tagged with zombie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users